JD 790 TLB VS Kubota B21

/ JD 790 TLB VS Kubota B21 #1  

Whitey

Gold Member
Tractor
Kabota B21 TLB
OK here goes.........I am replacing my JD 770 TLB with a newer machine. I am looking at a low hour (less than 500) JD 790 / 300 FEL / 7 BH (step up for me) and a medium hour (less than 1,000) Kubota B21. I would like your opinions and why you would pick each. Just for the record the JD would be about 17 K plus.......and the Kubota 14K. I myself are leaning towards the Kubota just beacause it is a hydro and one of my goals for selling the 770 was to get a hydro so my son could learn to operate. I just cannot seem to find anything under 21K from JD in hydro.........thus I am looking at Kubota now.:eek:

/ JD 790 TLB VS Kubota B21 #2  
I've used a B21 to do a fair amount of landscape work around my house. For it's size - it's a very capable machine.

My hay partner has a 790. It's a great tractor, too.

However, the comparison is not really apples vs apples - IMO. The Kubota is really a small construction grade machine - the JD is more a general utility machine.

Sorta like comparing a collegiate 119lb wrestler with a 119lb high school kid... The Kubota will turn the JD inside out!! (I'm a JD fan - but, ya gotta be realistic.)

AKfish

/ JD 790 TLB VS Kubota B21
Thanks AK for your opinion..........aparently no one else has one. Maybe because the B21 is not considered a compact tractor and does not attract a following. If I read your post right.......for the money it seems that the B21 wins hands down. Ultimately I guess it all depends on what you are planning to do with the equipment. I want something to dig with so for the money and job descripition I should go with the Kubota. Right?

/ JD 790 TLB VS Kubota B21 #4  
Thanks AK for your opinion..........aparently no one else has one. Maybe because the B21 is not considered a compact tractor and does not attract a following. If I read your post right.......for the money it seems that the B21 wins hands down. Ultimately I guess it all depends on what you are planning to do with the equipment. I want something to dig with so for the money and job descripition I should go with the Kubota. Right?
You can't remove the Fel off a B21 like you can the Other Kubota compacts and Sub compacts

/ JD 790 TLB VS Kubota B21 #5  
Brother-in-law has a B21 equipped with a backhoe. Compared to my 790 with no backhoe, It seems like a apples to orange comparison. For loader work, the B21 seems easier and faster due to the hydrostatic drive but, the 790 has a wider bucket and moves more dirt, manure, gravel per cycle. May be it is a wash between the two, quick maneuverability is the equal to more material per trip? The 790 loader however does lift higher and more weight than his B21. Like AKfish said the B21 is more geared for a compact construction tractor IMHO, than for utility/farm tractor work. NOT that it can't do those chores, it plays double duty on the brother-in-laws place. Not up on the backhoe brand/specs for the 790, but seems it would handle a bigger hoe than the B21, but the B21 is a natural for hoe work. My 790 loader disconnects better than his B21 loader too, Its rare one needs to due that anyway. B21 more natural for TLB work than a 790? It is more intended for TLB work than a 790. The 790 can do it and is a bigger animal but, is more intended for utility tractor work than TLB work. Sounds like your mostly after TLB applications any way. Good luck.

/ JD 790 TLB VS Kubota B21 #6  
Whitey, I've had a B21 for 9 years and it has been great for my needs. You do need to look at your needs though. The B21 does not have a mid PTO and I see you are currently using a MMM. The FEL cannot be removed if that is important. And it is light on rear PTO horsepower at 13 so you are limited in size for PTO driven implements.

MarkV

/ JD 790 TLB VS Kubota B21 #7  
I also have a B21 and ditto what Mark mentions. I do run a 52" rototiller the meager PTO power just means i go slow :)
As far as loader backhoe work its quite good for its size, I like the heavy subframe. Also the single seat is nice, for some reason I like to see the backhoe tucked as close to the tractor as possible.
The loader not coming off was not a big deal for me. It can still squeeze in plenty of places. With my tires loaded and loader difficult to remove it is not a mower tractor.

/ JD 790 TLB VS Kubota B21
Thanks for the posts guys.........yes I have been doing my homework. I have more of a need more for a backhoe / loader than anything else. The boss has a 425 AWS to cut the grass :D I looked into the specs last night and the loader for the B21 has about the same capacities as the 300x.....the B21 backhoe blows the JD 7 away. For the money I think I will look hard for a B21 that had a single owner......lots of rentals out there.