help a damsel in distress

/ help a damsel in distress #31  
Boy, Steve.... that ditch witch is one serious looking piece of machinary! /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ help a damsel in distress #32  
<font color=blue>I am sure if I titled one "Fat middle aged man needs advice on tractor purchase" I'd have about 2 responses by now.</font color=blue> /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

You know Neil, I was thinking the same thing. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ help a damsel in distress #33  
Until you hit a 2" sapling.... or your truck / trailer gets stuck.... I've yet to see a 0tr mower pull a stuck truck out...

I agree that single use vehicles have their place.. but with 8 and 15 acres of mowing... this person sounds like they will at some point need a tractor... The amount they pay to hire out the brush hogging will buy a brush hog in a years time. Just depends if they are looking to minimize seat time, or money.

I'd buy a tractor over a lawnmower any day of the week. Our neighbor has a little JD ( 850? ) with a 5' mmm and cuts his 2 acre yard faster and better than the neighbor across the street cuts his 2 ac with his 4k$ huskie riding mower and pull behind drag mower.

Just my opinion.. and yes.. I'm biased towards tractors... they can be used for soooo many things.. I see why thaey got the 'utility' tag on them.

Soundguy

<font color=blue>"However a zero turn mower with the typical 61 inch deck will out mow a compact tractor with a 6 ft deck and look better doing it. "

/ help a damsel in distress #34  
Here's an idea. Compair as close as you can get apples to apples. Look at a 21 hp tractor from all 3 colors, and a 25, and 30, etc. Get a basic comparison and just start with hp as the base comparison, and then allow for features, etc. And as pointed out.. if buying new.. dealer attitude makes a difference.

Try looking at the url below, and go to the specs forum.. you can choose between many tractor models and pull up hp and other info like tranny setup , etc... print a few of these out to help with your search when you go to other dealers.

Soundguy

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractortips.com>http://www.tractortips.com</A>

/ help a damsel in distress #35  
<font color=blue>Because you are a sensible woman I expect that you will understand the "guy" thing of having a huge tractor and will instead opt for sensible</font color=blue>

...or you could do the really sensible "guy" thing and buy two tractors!!! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Kevin

/ help a damsel in distress
Fellas, Just one last stupid girl question...Can I widen the wheel base of all tractors? And if so, is there any reason NOT to? I have a slightly gentle slope to my land, I'd feel more secure, I think, with a wider base. I could go side to side, rather than up and down only. There are a few spots that I feel scared even on my dinky little Craftsman sit down mower. Thanks to all

/ help a damsel in distress #38  
Bunny, look for a tractor with wide turf tires. Turf tires are usually smaller diameter and lower the center of gravity of the tractor and the wider tires help with stability.

Chris

/ help a damsel in distress #39  
I think it is amazing how many replies she has received. I have seen others post similar questions and not get as many replies. Do not get me wrong I really do not mean anything. It is just an observation.

IMHO - a tractor in the 30 HP range would be good for the 15 acres. Use at least a 6' mower. I use to mow with a 7' and 45hp. But I bought an L2500 to have a FEL and get into tight area that the big IH could not get. I will miss the mowing capacity but no machine is perfect. If I could I would own one for every chore! If you do not need 4wd or the small size of the compact tractors. Take a look at a machine about the size of a Ford 2000 or 3000. Nice size machine for your mowing needs. They are a little bigger and heavier than a compact. Should be more stable on hills and can handle the mower size better.

Take a couple of afternoons and visit your local tractor dealers or private sales. Drive as many tractors as you can. See what features you like or dislike. Somethings I think are great features are: power steering, livew hydraulics, live PTO, shuttle shift - for a gear tractor, HST - some love it ( I do not care for the whine), ROPS-usally can be added to older tractors, lights, gas or diesel, ag tires - lots of traction (though they can damage your lawn).

A comfortable seat is important too. The old "pan" type on old tractors can be hard on the back.

Vintage tractors are great from the 60's and up. More tractor for less money.

Good luck!

/ help a damsel in distress #40  
<font color=blue>"...Just one last stupid girl question..."</font color=blue>

Hmmmm/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif? Now why would you ask that question that way? The same questions that you have asked in this thread are exactly the same questions that I don't know how many of us Fellas have asked! If there is one thing I've learned here on TBN, nobody asks dumb questions and nobody here will say they do! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif