Battery Powered mowers

/ Battery Powered mowers #1  

Revelation

Tractor
John Deere LA 165
They had an article today (5/21/09) in the WSJ about battery operated lawn mowers, saws, and other equipment. The article says any heavy duty work will still require a gas or diesel engine. However for the average home owner, they have electric lawn mowers and Ariens Co. has come out with a $3,299 electric lawn tractor. Besides not having a great reverse button (yet), they said it worked pretty well. Same thing with the weed wacker, and lawn mower. The only problem on the one model lawn mower was, it was not self propelled and the weight of the battery caused a little difficulty in pushing. However they are coming out with self propelled mowers as well. The bad news on the lawn tractor is you need to spend $750 every 4 years for a new battery. Consider that you spend $200 a year on gas for lawn tractors, it evens out.

In 10 years when I replace my lawn tractor, it would be great if my beloved John Deere dealership has a battery operated lawn tractor for me. I would think for just cutting the grass it would work just fine.

/ Battery Powered mowers #4  
That may be true for a Yuppie. For a do It Yourselfer like me, it's about 3-4 times too high.

Andy