Need Advice

/ Need Advice #1  

bpsooner

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M5040 with FEL, JD X320 Lawn Tractor
I am looking at purchasing a Kubota MX5100 tractor. I cannot decide whether to go with 2WD or 4WD. Big cost difference. I have a 40 ac farm and will use the tractor to brush hog, moving round hay bales and front end loader work. My father-in law insists that I will not need 4WD to perform the tasks I need.

Any advice would help

/ Need Advice #2  
While it's true that you may not "need" FWD to perform those tasks, you sure will like it if you have it. And, once you have FWD you will find "needs" for it and wonder how you lived without it. It will also help you utilize all your hp.

/ Need Advice #3  
I Use Mine in 4 wheel drive in over 75% of My Projects , They,d Be Worthless Without it , But I Have Fairlly Sandy Soil. I,d Say Get the 4wd , You Might get a way Without it , But Would be More Usefull With it especially if Your Going to Move any Dirt . :D , Bob

/ Need Advice #4  
While it's true that you may not "need" FWD to perform those tasks, you sure will like it if you have it. And, once you have FWD you will find "needs" for it and wonder how you lived without it. It will also help you utilize all your hp.

I agree.

When doing heavy fel work, their isn't much weight over the rear tires. While you may be ok on flat dry ground, if its even slightly wet, or backing up a small hill, forget it.

My father has a 2040 JD. Its an older utility tractor with a loader. While only about 42HP it probabally weighs more than the MX. Loader work is not nearly as efficient as my little l3400. Theirs nothing like having to dump your load so you can use the loader to get yourself out of a bind. Get the 4wd load the rears and don't think twice.

/ Need Advice #5  
If you can afford the 4wd, get it. There's no real negative other than price and there are a lot of positives.

/ Need Advice #6  
I am looking at purchasing a Kubota MX5100 tractor. I cannot decide whether to go with 2WD or 4WD. Big cost difference. I have a 40 ac farm and will use the tractor to brush hog, moving round hay bales and front end loader work. My father-in law insists that I will not need 4WD to perform the tasks I need.

Any advice would help

Your FIL is correct. MFWD (=4WD) isn't absolutely required for mowing or toting bales around. It comes in handy for FEL work.

I had a 2005 Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 4WD, hydrostatic tranny) with the LA302 FEL (4-ft wide bucket). It's easy to get proficient with the FEL with a setup like this.

You just have to be aware of potential problems with FELs and 4WD. For example, in 4WD be sure the front wheels can spin when you dig the FEL bucket into a pile of whatever. If the pile is on a concrete slab and the front wheels can't spin when the tractor forward motion stops, you could damage the 4WD drive train.

And don't lug the engine down too far when filling the bucket. You have a lot of hp with the MX and it's possible to reverse the spin on the engine if you really lug it down. Not necessarily fatal to the engine, but not good either (you lose oil pressure quickly when the engine runs backwards). I've never done this, but other folks on TBN apparently have seen this happen.

I traded that 7510 for a much larger Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 2WD, gear tranny) with the ML250 FEL (6-ft wide bucket). It took somewhat longer to get proficient with the FEL, but I do OK now. Truth be told, I miss the HST more than the 4WD.

/ Need Advice #7  
Get the 4WD, when all said and done you will never miss the extra money it will cost but you will wish for the 4WD and then have to look at yourself in the mirror every morning.

/ Need Advice #9  
I think it depends on your land. 4wd is not manditory for mowing or FEL work. It does have it's place depending on the job. I would look at (make a list) of the jobs you will be doing on a regular basis for the next several years. Look at your land. Is it hilly or flat, wet marshy or drier. After taking all these considerations into being you can make a educated purchase both for 2wd or 4wd and amount of HP and at what weight you will need. Talk to some of your neighbors who have tractors and see what they are using.

Good luck on your purchase.

/ Need Advice #10  

Any advice would help
Buy the FWD you will be happy you did.coobie