Bad Oil New Tractor

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #111  
It is amazing to me that somebody selling welding stuff[and thats all they sell] wouldn't at least read up on how all this stuff works,and what you need for something to work,they don't need to be a welder or have a degree in welding,just maybe a little more general type knowledge than most appear to have.

My thoughts EXACTLY. I don't expect to talk to a Certified Nuclear Submarine Welder when I walk in, just someone who is at least minimally knowledgeable would suffice.

And I assure you, these dudes are MINIMALLY knowledgeable.

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #112  
Good Evenin Chris,
:D Agreed ! :D

I think we scared BtB away, albeit, not intentionally ! ;)

Actually.. we just aren't giving him the answer he was trolling for that's all.

the wrong viscosity on the oil is what would have made me not use it..( reguardless what the counterguy said.. ).. color was irrelevant..

soundguy

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #113  
Danf that sounds familiar. like when ordering a part from the dealer and you are standing their with yor service manual in hand giving them their part numbers and they are still mucking it up..

soundguy

True Story on trusting what a sales clerk tells you:

I recently purchased a MillerMatic 252 MIG welder from a LARGE national welding supply dealer. I figured I'd buy from the local "experts" instead of off the Internet since I am a novice welder and, since THIS IS ALL THEY DO, I could depend on what they tell/sell me. FYI, I research any major purchase I make before I put down the cash.

Me: I'd like to buy that MillerMatic 252 over there in the box.

Clerk: Why?

Me: Because I've researched it and it should fit my needs.

Clerk: You know it takes 220 volts?

Me: Yep

Clerk: It takes a 50 amp service.

Me: Yeah, I know.

Clerk: OK. That'll be $2500

Me: Nah, I can buy it new online for two grand even.

Clerk: Oops. I meant that would be $2017.

Me: Cool. I'll take it. Also, I need a large roll of .045 self shielded flux core wire, a .045 sleeve for the wire and .045 drive rollers for the wire.

Clerk: All you need is the wire. The sleeve and drive rollers come with the welder.

Me: (thinking here we go again) Hmmm, that's interesting. Are you SURE it comes with the sleeve and rollers?

Clerk: Yep.

Me: I'm sure you're correct but before I drive 45 miles home to find that they AREN'T included I would like to check what's in the box.

Clerk: (after opening the box) I'll be darned... they aren't included. No problem I've got the stuff right here. (he hands me a sleeve and rollers)

Me: Well that's the correct sleeve but these are smooth rollers not the knurled rollers you need with flux core wire.

Clerk: Knurled rollers??? You sure?

Me: Yep.

Clerk: (after checking with someone else) Yep, you should use knurled rollers but we are out of them and will have to order them.

Me: No problem. I'll pay for 'em now and you can call me when they're in. Just give me the .045 wire and I'll be on my way.

Clerk: (Comes out from the warehouse and flops a big roll of Lincoln OUTERSHIELD flux core wire on the counter) That'll fix you right up.

Me: Ummmmm, I need self shielding wire. This needs shielding gas.

Clerk: Nope. This doesn't need gas.

Me: You sure?

Clerk: I'm POSITIVE this is self shielding.

Me: (blood pressure through the roof by now.... having chest pains and shortness of breath) Errrr, I admit I don't know anything about welding but I'm ALMOST POSITIVE that Lincoln Outershield wire takes gas and that Lincoln INNERSHIELD is what I need since I've been using .035 Lincoln INNERSHIELD NR211 for years and, logically, OUTERSHIELD would seem to indicate that it needs some sort of shielding gas.

Clerk: Hmmmm. That makes sense. (checks with someone else) Nope, Outershield is what you want.

Me: (sweeting profusely by now..... profoundly vulgar language at the tip of my tongue) Look, I don't want to drive 45 miles home only to find out that this is not self shielding wire. Is there a catalog you can check? If you have Internet access you can Google it.

Clerk (joined by the other "expert" now): Hey, that's a real good idea. Let's Google it.......... Well I'll be danged.... You DO need shielding gas with that wire. Let me go see if we've got any self shielding wire.

Me: (I walk outside to get some fresh air while they look for the wire I need because I'm about to blow)

Clerk: Oops. We don't have any of that in stock because our Min/Max ordering system says that we weren't selling enough of the .045 self shielding to stock any.

Me: This is a WELDING store. That's ALL YOU DO. You don't have ANY??? Not ONE SINGLE ROLL OF ANY SIZE IN .045 SELF SHIELDING?????

Clerk: Nope.

Me: (staring at him)

Clerk: We'll have to order it.

Me: (continuing to stare... suppressing the urge to do something that would probably get the local constabulary involved.) OK, I'll pay for it and you can order it and call me when the wire and the driver rollers come in.

[fast forward about two weeks]

Me calling them: This is so and so, has my order come in yet?

Clerk: What order?

Remember folks, these are the "experts". Welding is ALL THEY DO. This ain't Tractor Supply, Northern Tool, Harbor Freight or Wally World.

Bottom Line: If your mom tells you she loves you.... check it out.

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #114  
My thoughts EXACTLY. I don't expect to talk to a Certified Nuclear Submarine Welder when I walk in<snip>

And you probably wouldn't want to. My stepson is one (in the Navy) and as soon as I ask him about welding he has a difficult time stemming the information flow :)

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #116  
I heard that one... I have a friend that is an x-ray certified welder for working at nuke plants. I had him over one day to help me with some welding chores. ...by the time we were done the small part i was welding on had every piece of spare metal I had welded toit, and about half my rod was gone.. it will never break I'm sure.. but IMHO.. it needed a 10 minute weld job.. not 3 hours.. ;)

soundguy

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #117  
[snip snip snip]
I did NOT put unapproved oil in the machine. I put oil that was approved by the dealer, the manufacturer of the oil states PLAINLY on the pail that it matches specs for Kubota. I have been using that oil for years. I have probably a dozen empty pails I use around here for "buckets". What has happened the oil was not packaged correctly. That can happen with ANY manufacturer, EVEN Kubota.
[snip snip snip]

Broker-then-broke, I feel for you man. The pain comes through. It's a tough spot to be in, and many of us want to give you the support that you would like.

But you're trying to making the case that any oil that meets the specs of Kubota is the same as Kubota oil. Yet the actual experience that you have had demonstrates that not to be true.

First off, is there any doubt that had you actually bought Kubota oil and put it in, that the tractor would be in great shape right now, vs a broken tractor that you're trying to sue over.

Secondly, let's just say that mistakes happen, and that it's possible that had you bought Kubota oil from Kubota and got a mis-labeled package and installed that in the same fashion and you'gre tractor went south. IF that had happened, you're Kubota warrenty would have kicked in and again, you would have now a -good- tractor.

The actual experience that you're going through is pretty terrible, and it all stems from the fact that you rationally calculated and made a very poor decision, which was to save a dime and get a cheaper oil. Even trying to cover you're bases by checking with the dealer and the store and the labeling of the can, it STILL is not as effective as just buying the correct oil (and operating under the protection of the warrenty).

I'm only at 17 hours on my new B2920, and you're just reinforced my opinion that I should only buy genuine Kubota parts and lubricants for it. I thank you for sharing you're life lesson with me and others on the forum.

By the way, when my sales rep dropped off my Kubota, he also dropped off a quart of Kubota motor oil and a quart of Kubota transmission fluid, and cautioned me ONLY to buy guinine Kubota fluids. The quarts were so that I would know what to buy.

On another note. Yesterday my neighboor asked me to spare some transmission fluids for her Cub Cadet riding mower. I only had the Kubota quarts on the shelf, and decided that I didn't want to share any of it with her, if for no other reason then I didn't want the liability or even the question of my liability if anything were to go south on her mower. So I just told her I didn't have anything.

The thread has helped me understand that I probably did the right thing.

Sorry for you're pain, but I thank you for sharing. It has helped me.

Larry

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #118  
Maybe you'll get lucky and someone will steal your tractor and you can just get it replaced with your insurance.
It has been my experience that you would be better off selling it as is or trading it in on something else. A trade-in would be best, sell at an ag auction would do as well. In any case, get rid of it and use that lawyer money to buy a good replacement. Forget lawyers, suing, and all the rest of that stuff. It would be years before you would collect, if you ever did. Again, my experience, but judges are not rational people. Somehow, someway, there will be a technicality that will weigh things against you. Even if you won, it would be more years before you could collect. A judgment is NOT money in the bank. Just ask O.J. Simpson about that! Ha!

Probably be better to ask the Goldman's, OJ's is tied up right now. Poor fella:(

John

/ Bad Oil New Tractor #119  
Quote:
Originally Posted by broker than broke

[snip snip snip]
I did NOT put unapproved oil in the machine. I put oil that was approved by the dealer, the manufacturer of the oil states PLAINLY on the pail that it matches specs for Kubota. I have been using that oil for years. I have probably a dozen empty pails I use around here for "buckets". What has happened the oil was not packaged correctly. That can happen with ANY manufacturer, EVEN Kubota.
[snip snip snip]

BTB, No, you didn't put the same oil in it. You put something that you admit you recognized was different in viscosity and color than the correct oil into your tractor.