Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Platinum Member

Default Re: Bad Oil New Tractor

Cause mine has got clear in it,alls I ever seen was clear,guess you say kubota has red? but is it bright red?

But he said green,bright green,followed by brown,anybody ever see green oil of any kind that goes in a tractor? And after putting said green oil in it,he followed it up with some shade of brown[all going into his hydro],case closed.

Wow I feel really bad for the OP.
    But-

Should have stopped when surprised by the first container of oils green color. Then been even more alarmed/puzzled when the second container differed and was brown.
    Can't find much about Smitty's but the few tractor fluid MSDS for them I turned up all say light amber color which seems more consistent with TF, not green or brown.

I sure hope the containers and some of the oil was saved. Without them it would be a tough case I figure.

I don't think the store is much at fault, kubota certainly has no fault in this whatsoever. The manufacturer/packager of the oil seems most at fault. Of course none of that stops some lawyers from suing everyone involved.

Good luck and be sure to let us know how this turns out, hoping most of us are still around when it finally works its way through court years from now if it goes that way

One other thing I forgot to add- the Smitty's website lists a number of tractor manufacturers their fluid is approved for. Kubota isn't listed as one of them...

"Super Trac is a true multiple service oil recommended for the majority of hydraulic, wet brake, and transmission requirements of most equipment manufacturers, including Allis Chalmer, J. I. Case, John Deere, Ford, International Harvester, Massey-Ferguson, Allison and White."
    Last edited by Skyco; 05-31-2009 at 06:19 AM.

Tractor
    Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe

I work in retail and whenever a disaster happens there are always two who end up having to pay

a) the manufacturer who should bear the lion's share as it's really their mixup
    b) any retailer who's dopey staff say dumb things like "it's just a different batch"

However, b) could be argued as the retailer is selling the product under the impression that it is what the manufacturer says it is so really a) is the target.

See if there is any way you can find out whether or not there were any recalls or other complaints about the same items. It can't be that you were the only one who got a bad batch - there had to be a whole production run.

Me, I know that I can use whatever oil in my tractor but I am sticking with OEM parts for my own piece of mind. At least till the warranty period is over.

Good luck, bummer story.
    God Bless our brave men, bring them home, safe again.

Sorry for Your Troubles . But the Key words are these ( I became concerned IMMEDIATELY because the color of the fluid was bright green It had NEVER been that color before.) At That Point I Would have Stopped & At Least looked at the Other Pail of Fluid .

THAT Would have Solved all Your Troubles, By Just draining & Flushing what You had Allready put in . If Something Dont Look right it More then Likelly isn,t .

I Would have a Hard time Blaming anyone else , Much less Expect a new Tractor For My Mistake, No Matter wether it Was Packaged wrong or not . As Someone Else Had Mentioned I Would have Both Colors of the Fluid Tested to see What They Contain. But Thats just Me .

However the Dealer admitting to Installing the Wrong parts on your Tractor , I Would have a HUGE Problem with & Would Wonder What else They screwed up. Best of Luck. Bob

Tractor
    L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211

Quote Originally Posted by scott_vt View Post
    Im thinking you just taught many people a very valuable lesson on buying fluids for their tractor ! Dont skimp bottom line, on a valuable piece of equipment !
    I don't think so - not getting hosed by paying twice as much for name-brand oil is not the problem. The lesson here is simply when you open a 5 gallon pail of oil, and there's antifreeze in there, don't just dump it into you machine anyway. Filling factorys do make errors on occasion - that's why fluids are color-coded.

My condolences to the original poster - I don't think there is any recourse for you.

JayC

Tractor
    MF 596 , MF 4243, MF 1433V, D4H, D3C

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy357 View Post
    Sorry for Your Troubles . But the Key words are these ( I became concerned IMMEDIATELY because the color of the fluid was bright green It had NEVER been that color before.) At That Point I Would have Stopped & At Least looked at the Other Pail of Fluid .

THAT Would have Solved all Your Troubles, By Just draining & Flushing what You had Allready put in . If Something Dont Look right it More then Likelly isn,t .

I Would have a Hard time Blaming anyone else , Much less Expect a new Tractor For My Mistake, No Matter wether it Was Packaged wrong or not . As Someone Else Had Mentioned I Would have Both Colors of the Fluid Tested to see What They Contain. But Thats just Me .

However the Dealer admitting to Installing the Wrong parts on your Tractor , I Would have a HUGE Problem with & Would Wonder What else They screwed up. Best of Luck. Bob
    I'd tend to agree, but in this sue happy world common sense doesn't much come into play. He will probably sue and win, unless the right person stumbles onto this thread, collecting from whoever gets stuck with the bill may be another story. I think one of the big lessons to take from this story is, if the fluid doesn't look right, STOP. I'm sure the parts store would have given him his money back on the fluid if he said it was wrong at the start and then he could have gotten fluid somewhere else and then there would not be a story. But that would have been too easy wouldn't it?
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
    Will Rogers

The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale and pays the freight both ways.
    John F. Kennedy

Tractor
    JD 2320

Sorry but why or how can someone justify buying a piece of equipment for say $20,000, in the case of my last tractor and then try and save $10.00 on a $100.00 maintenance costs? People do it all the time and I simply cannot figure it out.
    JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, FEL Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyj View Post
    I work in retail and whenever a disaster happens there are always two who end up having to pay

a) the manufacturer who should bear the lion's share as it's really their mixup
    b) any retailer who's dopey staff say dumb things like "it's just a different batch"

However, b) could be argued as the retailer is selling the product under the impression that it is what the manufacturer says it is so really a) is the target.

See if there is any way you can find out whether or not there were any recalls or other complaints about the same items. It can't be that you were the only one who got a bad batch - there had to be a whole production run.

Me, I know that I can use whatever oil in my tractor but I am sticking with OEM parts for my own piece of mind. At least till the warranty period is over.

Good luck, bummer story.
    I'm sticking with OEM parts even after warranty expires
    because I still don't want to pay repair bills even after the warranty expires!
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

I am sorry for the OP's troubles but he brought them on himself. If I opened any jug of oil and had any hesitation at all if it was any good the last thing I would do is dump it in.

What I find funny is after he used an aftermarket oil, messed up his tractor using it, blamed everyone but him self, he then states he will never use Motorcraft oil in his ford trucks for what ever reason. It sounds to me like he thinks OEM oils are a conspiracy ran by guys in black suits. OEM fluids really do not cost that much more then cheap generics and you don't have to worry when you use OEM's

God must love stupid people; He made so many

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Sorry for your troubles, sounds like antifreeze was put into the container by the new Friday trainee at the plant. Bet there are a few other 5 gallon pails of that stuff out there. I'll give you a real life example. I was working as a control lab technician in a food plant and went to make up a batch of red raspberry or some other mix for the plant. I screwed up and made something the factory tried to get rid of as blackberry because I had messed up the formula when I made the initial mix. We didn't even sell anything like blackberry to begin with!

Point is people screw up. Even me!
    Person who made up your first 5 gallon pail screwed up, compounded by your consciously choosing to install the complete 5 gallons of what you suspected was bogus oil, followed by a second 5 gallons - INSTEAD of immediately stopping the first 5 and draining it out and starting over with fresh, known to be proper fluid of WHATEVER brand. Here in lies the fatal mistake...and unfortunately for you it messed up your tractor.
    Unfortunately for the rest of us if you prevail against anyone other than the manufacturer and distributor of the bogus oil we all end up paying higher prices to pay for your 'won lawsuit'.

Dats teh facts Jack !

Good luck- and if it were me I'd get my tractor fixed and move on in my life and learn from my mistakes.
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains. Samuri Sickle bar.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast