Are parts/repairs more expensive for some tractors?

/ Are parts/repairs more expensive for some tractors? #1  

TxJack

Looking to buy my first tractor and was wondering if it costs more for parts/work on some tractors as opposed to others? Someone had told me that John Deere parts and labor go hand in hand with the old saying "you are paying for the green paint". Any help and advise is appreciated!

/ Are parts/repairs more expensive for some tractors? #2  
I don't own a John Deere, but work with someone who does. I did own a Deere riding mower a couple of years ago though. It seems like some of the stuff is very resonable, and some of the stuff is very high. It doesn't seem like you can predict the high price items. I remember the oil filter for my mower was pretty cheap. It seems like I bought blades also and the were high, but not that bad.

I own a Kubota, and so far I would say the parts seem expesive to me. For example I bought a mulch kit for my deck and I think the total was over $200. It did come with alot of baffles and parts, more than I was expecting.

It's like alot of things, sometime you do pay for the "name" associated with the product, but a name brand like John Deere or some of the others are more likely to stand behind the products they sell.

/ Are parts/repairs more expensive for some tractors? #3  
like most things tractor, you'll find a huge range of experiences. Common maintenance items are pretty competitive, but complex items you can see huge variations. For example, its over double the cost to buy a replacement engine for a New Holland compact than it is for a Kubota... however its much cheaper to buy New Holland hydraulic cylinders and 3pt hardware than it is Kubota.

just speaking for the brands that I sell.

/ Are parts/repairs more expensive for some tractors? #4  
We've been in business for over sixty years and have worked on nearly every brand and sold quite a few brands. We currently sell three brands of skid steers, three brands of mowers and three brands of tractors.

To say that one brand is always more then another, not completely so, that is not across the board. With the differnent brands we often find that the cheapest parts are the ones that they sell the most of! Are there differnent costs of ownership? You bet! It does go deeper then initial costs, repair incident numbers as well as cost, fuel, and productivity.

Doing a bearing sale one day we had the same bearing under three brands, one around 27 one around 14 and one at 8. Difference was as to the 8 dollar one was current production use in a machine that has been out there for ten years. the one at 27 had been out of production for about 15 years.

Thing of it was that at 15 years out of production you still could get it!!!!

We do a lot of matching, the farmers get nervous when they can't get their crops in so quite often our parts people will find that a disc arbor bolt for another make disc we don't sell is about the same length as ours and often do to the volume ours are a better price the the original equipment manufacturer.

The biggest thing with many items is will the parts be there to get other then used in ten or twenty years and at any price! I know of recently trying to get a seal kit for a after-market loader, the company now does nothing with them and they are only into computer soft ware!

With everyone buying someone elses product and putting another name on it the future could get quite confusing in the parts departments at dealers!

Yes, you will have twenty years to see this come around possibly with a current product. We have been seeing it in the industry just with older companies selling out or the trends changing and they go out of business do to lack of competitive products.

/ Are parts/repairs more expensive for some tractors? #5  
John Deere and Cat have always had the rep for higher parts prices, but parts for almost anything they ever made are pretty much available. What parts I have bought for my MF equipment, sometimes it will make you gag when they quote a price(esp if it is a very new model seems like), and sometimes they are pretty reasonable. I can buy MF filters cheaper though than I can get them from the local Napa store. I shattered a plastic prefilter on a Cat D3 a couple of weeks ago, a local tractor dealer could get one that "should fit" for $20+ and have it in a week or so. Cat had it in stock and it was $16. I had to wait a couple of days until I was going to that town on other business, but I knew when I got it that it would fit.
Basically it seems like it is luck of the draw on parts pricing, but a good parts dept seems like they can overcome some of that at least.