Frames

/ Frames #1  

MikePA

Super Moderator
Tractor
Had TC25D, now JD X310
My Wheel Horse garden tractor has a frame/chassis. Why don't CUTs have frames? Do any modern farm tractors have chassis/frames?

/ Frames #2  
Mike,

Typically, the bulk of the tractor chassis is the combination of the engine, transmission, and the rear drive train. From an engineering standpoint , it provides a good solid chassis with little chance of warp and bending. There are probably more engineering factors involved which may come form other TBNers.

Terry

/ Frames #3  
MIKE: good question! but as i ponder it i can NEVER remember seeing any tractor with a frame. even the old steel wheeled tractor we had on the farm was frameless, i can only assume it is because of the twisting and stress that a tractor would be under, the frame might have a tendency to bend or twist? i really don't know! but i am sure there are some tbnr's out there that can give us the scoop!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Frames #4  
Mike, as others have mentioned the engine, transmission and axle provide much more structure than any stamped steel frame ever could. Unlike a car, weight is a good thing in a tractor so it is used to every advantage. Most tractors use some steel stampings to extend the main structure to support sheet metal, FEL brackets, front axles and such. If you have a tractor salvage yard nearby take a Saturday morning walk through. You'll learn a lot just by looking at the various hulks sitting around /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Frames #5  
Hi Mike....good question, and the answers are right. There were a few with frames, but as the drive gear got ruggeder, they dropped the frames. I got an old Crestline Publishing Encylopedia of American Farm Tractors, copyright 1979 that shows if not talks about the evolution of early tractors. I looked through it but couldn't find the statement I thought I read....maybe another book. If you aren't familiar with the Crestline series, they are hardcover B&W books with lots of pix, and are published for a lot of transportation themes - Military Wheeled Vehicles, the big name auto manufacturers, etc.. They are mostly good for ID-ing something, not a lot of tech info on one particular model. I usually wait until the local bookstore puts one out for ten buck or so (got one for $4.00, once), because I can't see paying full price.