Need help with purchase decision "orange or white"

/ Need help with purchase decision "orange or white" #1  

demoman357

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT335, Case 480C
Two tractors remain. I will purchase within a week. I greatly appreciate any help.

SUT No.1: 2006 Kubota L3830 with FEL, MFWD, private party selling, kept indoors, 58 hrs, HST, no rear hyd. remote, ag tires, comes with a Land Pride MF7072 flail. Dealer says warranty is still in effect for 4 months.
$18,000 + $1895 (puchase of turf tires and rims)

SUT No.2: 2009 Bobcat CT335 with FEL, MFWD, new dealer stock, turf tires & rims, two rear hyd. remotes, comes with a Kioti 72" rear finish mower.
$17,096.

The machine will be used mostly for mowing 10 acres of grass in a golf course-like setting (hills & trees) that is currently mowed with two 42-inch riding mowers. Some FEL work for a compost heap and some tilling and disc work. This will be the last tractor in my life on earth and I want it to last. Both brands are well represented with local dealers who actually stock many parts and have trained staff (I double checked).

I really like some of the features on the Bobcat, like the rear lever for raising/lowering the hitch, draft control is also nice. On the Kubota, the hydraulic lift mechanism seems to be better design/built.

I need to throw the dart, somebody point out the dart board for me. Thanks.:)

/ Need help with purchase decision "orange or white" #2  
For regularly mowing 10 acres I recommend at least an 84" finish mower.
Either machine can handle a 7' no problem.

/ Need help with purchase decision "orange or white" #3  
If I were buying the last tractor I ever plan on purchasing, I would only buy new so I know the maintenance is on schedule and the machine is not abused in any way.

A brand new tractor with a 4 year warranty set up the way I want it sounds much better then a 3 year old tractor with barely any warranty left, little regular use, and almost $3000 more set up the way you want it.

That new tractor smell is great! :D

/ Need help with purchase decision "orange or white" #4  
I second the "new" purchase if you plan for this to be your last tractor. You know what maintenance has and hasn't been done and if something mechanically goes wrong than there is a warranty to protect that. A 72" mower will work very well for cutting 10 acres. Unless the property is all flat field than I wouldn't look into an 84, you'll run into too many scalping issues and uneven cuts on varying terrain. I maintain 11 acres with a 72" mower and I can cut the entire place in 3 - 4 hours, half the time it used to take me with a IH Cub w/ a 59" Woods belly mower. I'll never go below 72" again for cutting this much acreage.

/ Need help with purchase decision "orange or white" #5  
I go new myself for all the reasons everybody else has mentioned, warranty, already has the turfs on it, and the finish should pretty well do what you want, but you should be able run a bigger one if you wanted. If you decide to ad a different kind of mower later the rear remotes already on the Bobcat may be needed.

/ Need help with purchase decision "orange or white" #6  
New is nice. Having said that, a tractor with 58 hours is not even broken in yet, I would consider such a tractor to be almost new if I could be convinced that it had been properly maintained and that it was not abused.

I mention this as I bought a new kubota in 2008 which now has 55 hours on the meter. My tractor has been meticulously maintained and has had a very easy life so far, it's in better than new condition.

Back to your Orange vs. White choice. I compared specs that I found here:
Bobcat CT335 Compact Tractor - Bobcat Company
Kubota GrandL 30 SERIES

Kubota provides more information in it's specs, for example I did not see implement hydraulic flow rate listed for the Bobcat. I could not find any specs for the Bobcat front end loader. I think the L3830 came with the LA723 loader, which looks a lot beefier to me than the loader shown on a picture of a CT335.

It seems that draft control was an option for the L3830, if it's important to you I would check to see if it is something a dealer can add or if you can find another L3830 with it. Of course, if you are really down to these two tractors, and you want draft control, and only one of these tractors has draft control, then there is nothing left to decide.

The kubota spec's out better all the way around; more PTO HP, more 3 point hitch lift, longer wheelbase.

You mentioned that you plan to do some tilling and disking. Were you planning to buy ag tires to accomplish this with the Bobcat?

Have you test driven both tractors?

/ Need help with purchase decision "orange or white" #7  
Bobcat. No doubt about it. For less money (far less when you factor in buying new rims and turf tires for the Kubota), you can have a new tractor with a mower vs. a 3 yr old (but very low hr) tractor with a mower. I would only buy used if I were paying cash and realized a significant cost savings.

Granted, the Kubota has better specs, but there are 2 options there too: 1) if the extra capabilities are a moot point, buy the CT335 and save some cash buying new, or 2) if the extra capabilities of the L3830 are needed, then step up to a CT440 for about the same money (possibly less counting the added cost of rims and turfs on Kubota) new.

/ Need help with purchase decision "orange or white" #8  
Bobcat.

Two tractors remain. I will purchase within a week. I greatly appreciate any help.

SUT No.1: 2006 Kubota L3830 with FEL, MFWD, private party selling, kept indoors, 58 hrs, HST, no rear hyd. remote, ag tires, comes with a Land Pride MF7072 flail. Dealer says warranty is still in effect for 4 months.
$18,000 + $1895 (puchase of turf tires and rims)

SUT No.2: 2009 Bobcat CT335 with FEL, MFWD, new dealer stock, turf tires & rims, two rear hyd. remotes, comes with a Kioti 72" rear finish mower.
$17,096.

The machine will be used mostly for mowing 10 acres of grass in a golf course-like setting (hills & trees) that is currently mowed with two 42-inch riding mowers. Some FEL work for a compost heap and some tilling and disc work. This will be the last tractor in my life on earth and I want it to last. Both brands are well represented with local dealers who actually stock many parts and have trained staff (I double checked).

I really like some of the features on the Bobcat, like the rear lever for raising/lowering the hitch, draft control is also nice. On the Kubota, the hydraulic lift mechanism seems to be better design/built.

I need to throw the dart, somebody point out the dart board for me. Thanks.:)

/ Need help with purchase decision "orange or white" #9  
I think the Kubota is a better choice.

Service records, what service records? The first recommended service is at 50 hours. You might be 8 hours overdue. Big whoop.

Kubota has been making their own tractors for a long, long time. John Deere has been making their own tractors for a long, long time. Bobcat has been rebadging somebody else's tractors for a little while.

Every time I have bought the new, "just as good as", product, I have lived to regret it.

/ Need help with purchase decision "orange or white" #10  
All things considered new is nice, Bobcat is BRAND new in the tractor arena. Will they be in the tractor ring five years from now? Just my opinion but I think kubota will be around in five years. The motana, mccormick back from past I guess, and tym tractor dealers showed up in this area around five years ago, new, proud and bragging just like bobcat. But now ALL of the montana, mccormick, tym dealers are all but extinct around here. Kubota shows up over 20 years ago and still here, with excellent parts availability. I would go orange between the two for the "last" tractor purchase.