advice needed for purchase of heavy-duty mower for 25 acres

/ advice needed for purchase of heavy-duty mower for 25 acres #12  
I would have suggested a Large PT, and for you to come up to my place to give it a spin, but you said your are mechanically impaired so PT is out. If you are sloping much over 15 you might want to look at Antonio Carraro... Home I know there is a Dealer in Newberg. Cool tractors, bring your gold card...

/ advice needed for purchase of heavy-duty mower for 25 acres #13  
Hello,
I am faced with my first purchase of a tractor/mower and would like to ask for your opinions. Here is my situation:

- 25 acres of rolling ground with slopes (5 to 15%, with only a couple of areas a bit steeper to a maximum 20%)

- I will need to mow almost monthly during the season, in order to mechanically control aggressive blackberry shoots (the blackberry was set back with a Gyro Trac GT 25 and new shoots will need to be mowed as soon as they get to be about a foot high, and this will be repeated until the blackberry root system will be exhausted)

- I assume I'll be out there at least 5 hours at a time, 5 times a season, for the next 5+ years

- this season the entire 25 acres are an open field, but starting next season there will be rows of plants spaced about 13 feet apart

I should also add that I am mechanically-impaired, so I would prefer to deal with simpler systems and with those under warranty (which means that I'll have to buy new equipment). Thank you for any suggestions you might be able to offer.

Dan
Portland, Oregon

Mowing stuff that's only 1 foot high should allow you to run your mower at pretty fast tractor speeds (4-5 mph). Assuming that "at least 5 hours" means you might allow 10-12 hours to mow your 25 acres, you could handle that job with something like I have--a 2008 Mahindra 5525 tractor (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, power steering, constant partial mesh gear tranny) and a Hawkline 6-ft rotary mower (aka brush hog, bush hog, slasher, shredder) bought new in March 2008

DSCF0057Small.jpg

Cost: tractor-$12700, mower-$1150. I added the ML250 FEL (6-ft bucket, 2950 lb lift to 10.5 ft full height).

So for less than $15K you could handle your mowing job with new equipment if you give yourself a little more time to do the job. I mow 6 acres of flat hayfield with 1-2 ft weeds in about 3.5 hours with the 5525.

/ advice needed for purchase of heavy-duty mower for 25 acres #14  
Forgot to mention that the ML250 FEL price was $4400.
You can find similar equipment at competitive prices from most of the major tractor dealers.

/ advice needed for purchase of heavy-duty mower for 25 acres #15  
don't mean to hijack the thread but just wanted to make a quick comment to Flusher. that was a smoking price on your tractor!! the whole package acctually was a good deal seems like. is your fel quick-detach? i don't remember if you've ever said or not. have you ever given a full review on your tractor after using it(likes, dislikes, improvements that could be made, etc?). if not, would love to hear it sometime as i have a similar sized tractor as you and use mine very similar although not for haying.

as for a good solid mower to use as the OP requested, i have a John Deere MX6. it wasnt my first choice, but i have no complaints other then its a p.i.t.a to hook up the pto most of the time. i havent found anything on my land it wont cut with ease as long as you have the power to turn it(47pto hp is what my tractor has). paid $2,200 for mine brand new. that includes slip clutch and front and rear chains.

/ advice needed for purchase of heavy-duty mower for 25 acres #16  
I think a 45hp tractor with cab and a 7 or 8 foot flail with offset would be the best. A cab keeps you out of the dust and comfortable, also allows you to mow longer, you would also be more apt to jump in and mow when you only had a couple of hours and didn't want to get filthy. The offset flail gives a good low cut and allows you to keep closer to plants with less fear of the swing of a rotary mower hitting plants. with a 8 foot rotary behind you a small correction away from plants equates into the mower moving into your plants, with a flail it is much less pronounced. Also with a offset flail, when the plants are small you run your tires right against the plants (offset away from plants)you do not need to watch behind you if you are not running the plants over you are good.

Jeff

/ advice needed for purchase of heavy-duty mower for 25 acres #17  
don't mean to hijack the thread but just wanted to make a quick comment to Flusher. that was a smoking price on your tractor!! the whole package acctually was a good deal seems like. is your fel quick-detach? i don't remember if you've ever said or not. have you ever given a full review on your tractor after using it(likes, dislikes, improvements that could be made, etc?). if not, would love to hear it sometime as i have a similar sized tractor as you and use mine very similar although not for haying.

as for a good solid mower to use as the OP requested, i have a John Deere MX6. it wasnt my first choice, but i have no complaints other then its a p.i.t.a to hook up the pto most of the time. i havent found anything on my land it wont cut with ease as long as you have the power to turn it(47pto hp is what my tractor has). paid $2,200 for mine brand new. that includes slip clutch and front and rear chains.

I had the skid steer QA added to the FEL a few months after I got the 5525. Cost: about $800. The dealer welded chain hooks on the bucket (no charge). I had triple remotes ($750) included on the initial purchase. It's a basic, heavy 2WD tractor. The constant partial mesh tranny is also rudimentary. There's a learning curve involved in getting proficient with the FEL and that gear tranny. Takes a few sessions to get the hang of it. Other than that, no complaints.