Tractor Buying Advice

/ Tractor Buying Advice #11  
While all of the compact tractors in the 16 to 30 HP range would work for your needs, there are a few things to keep in mind. 1) Kubota is dominating this maket nitch for a reason.2) While the old addage "you get what you pay for" is usually true even with tractors, You will pay a premium for certain paint colors that is not justified by improved performance.3) If you are considering a Kubota BX series tractor remember it is designed to fill the "YUPPY" market (you should start wondering about this on any machine that comes standard with cup holders). While priced less than tractors of simular horse power, even other Kubotas, there are resons for this.a) The B series tractors in the Kubota line are designed for heavier duty service that the BX models. In normal homeowner use this differance may never surface. In rental, commercial, and farm use it will.b) Get under the BX and B series, and compare the frames. Look at the bucket curl cylinders, same size but the B has 2 of them. Compare the tire and wheel size the B series has more options, the BX has tires designed to make it look smaller and less intimidating.c) While the horse power is the same on many of the BX/B series machines, this is as much a manufacturing cost saving as anything else. The machines do not apply this power to the job at hand in the same way.d) Find a dealer that serves the rental/commercial market, and ask him what the experiance has been with the BX vs the B. If he is honest he will tell you that the BX does not perform well in those markets. I'm not talking sales here I'm talking working performace and repairs.There are lots of other things to check out but you get the idea. For your application you should get a serious compact tractor. You may wring your hands at the cost differance up front, but over time you will never regret the decision to get the larger machine.Based on information in your post, you are probably looking for a Kubota B2410 or B2710. If you go for the 2410 look into the tight turning option. Some of the stuff you describe would be eisier to do with improved turning radius. Also on the 2410 you can get optional turf/bar tread tires. These are not as agressive as either AG or Construction treads and as such won't tear up your grass as much, but still provide good traction when you need it.Good luck.

/ Tractor Buying Advice #12  
i think u need to stay in the 24-30 hp range. the l series is probalby best for your needs unless u are really going to use it for a lot of lawn mowing, remember sometimes the bigger machines are great for the big tasks but not so good for grass cutting. which is your first priority?i move a lot of snow with the fel and rear blade, but i am only clearing a 100ft drive, my friend has both a fel and rear snowblower and use the fel 50% of the time. your call! u know your needs best.

/ Tractor Buying Advice #13  
As far as the snowblower goes, I guess it depends mostly on what kind of Winters you have. Here in my part of PA, "real" Winters are infrequent. So far I have been able to get by nicely with a 5' rear blade on a 16HP Ford 1210. This Spring I bought a B7500HST w/ FEL and R4's, and I'm anxious to see how it does with snow. I do my 300' driveway, my BIL's 300' and two shorter driveways. Except for real deep snow, I can usually drive forward with the blade cocked to one side and go right through. For blizzards or pushing back banks for a coming storm, backwards is the way it works. That's where I'm expecting the FEL to come in. One of my buds has a JD w/ FEL and he claims the FEL is OK for deep stuff, but takes longer to clear snow under 6 or 8 inches in depth.........chim

/ Tractor Buying Advice
Thanks everybody.

/ Tractor Buying Advice #15  
I agree with Hawkflyer. I just spent alot of extra time and agony deciding between the Kubota BX and B series. I bought the B7500, and the only regert is that I did not buy the B2410. It's just a little heftier, and a few other options, but I am thoroughly satisfied with the B7500. I thought the sheer size of the B7500 over the BX2200 would be a problem. I should have wasted all that extra thought and effort (when deciding on which tractor to buy) on what other implements I want! I am far more impressed with the B7500, and it maneuvers as easy as the BX. You get so much more for the additional $. Just my thoughts.

/ Tractor Buying Advice #16  
I'll second the L3010. Check it out.

You can probably get a L3010 HST R4s and FEL for about $17K. It would seem to meet your needs.

/ Tractor Buying Advice #17  
If you like the safety of the 'big three' but don't need all the bells and whistles, you may want to consider the massey fergusion. In dollar value per HP it stands up well.

As many will point out, technology wise, there havn't been many user upgrades to the MF in oh say 20 years. It embodies 'utility' in utility tractor. Simple controlls and not as many features... more or less an engine, a transmission, and some operator controlls and safety features...
Money might be worth it.

Soundguy

/ Tractor Buying Advice #18  
SethO, each of the big 3 make tractors that are more than capable for doing the work you need.

Look for the options, features and prices that fit your requirements. If you don't have any brand loyalty, your decision will be more difficult, as you'll do more looking/pricing/investigating.

The point of checking out Muhammed's book is a good one, especially for someone just starting out such as yourself. you'll educate yourself quite a bit. Start visiting your local dealers and kick the tires a little.

For every comment about a brand being better than another, there's another to refute that. For every Kubota that has a problem, there's a Deere or a NH with one. Plenty of people have had problems with each brand, but a larger majority of owners have been satisfied with the brand they chose. We have a tendency to hear more about the bad than the good.

Hawkflyer's comment's, and yes I'm picking on you, may be true in his little world. Not every demographic in this country is the same. Region's, state's, countries, and cities vary greatly. I think that's great that Kubota does well in your parts, 'cause it sure doesn't around here. Them green painted tractors seem to be more popular 'round here.

/ Tractor Buying Advice #19  
Seth,
I understand your desire to stay with the "big three" but I think you are really missing out if you don't look into the grey market tractors. You could get a tractor and all of the implements you are looking for in the $10,000 range. Unless you have a specific need that only the big three can address, I know one of the greys would easily do all of the jobs you named and more! Feel free to call with questions or comments and check my website for other good links. I too am in west central wisconsin.
Nick
715-495-4176

/ Tractor Buying Advice
I just rode on a BX 22, fantastic machine and I have my CFO's approval for this price package

BX 22 $15100
MMM 60" $ 1650
Rotary cutter (LandPride) 48" $ 825

Does this sound reasonable?