Tractor Buying Advice

/ Tractor Buying Advice #21  
Have you thought about ground clearance when you're mowing the "swampy areas"?

I agree that it can take a long time to clear snow with an FEL. A simple rear blade is probably quicker for less than 12" of snow.

/ Tractor Buying Advice
I thought about ground clearance and considered some of the bigger machines such as the JD4000 TEN, B7500/B2410, TC30 and the prices on those machines equally configured are much higher. I also believe that I should be able to fill up the portions of the trail that are swampy, for use in all weather conditions, hence of the attraction for the back bucket.

/ Tractor Buying Advice #23  
Seth,

Congrats on trying the BX22. You're going to find that in a new tractor nothing else is in that category at that price point, even if it is a "YUPPIE" tractor <laughing>.

I paid $ 16,500.00 for mine last month. It included the 60" MMM (make sure you adjust it yourself via the manual directions starting with Step # 1 or it will scalp the heck out of your yard) and a toothbar for the front end loader. I highly recommend the toothbar for any kind of scraping or digging with the front end loader (usually a $ 300 option). You should be able to get the same price from your dealer as well. I have found the BX22 to be up to any task I ask for it, and it's a great mower as well. I consider it one of the better buys I've made and have zero regrets or feel I need something larger or more powerful.

Now, if I can just get all those cool attachments !

-Duane C.

/ Tractor Buying Advice #24  
For that size property, I suggest looking at utility tractors (Kubota M series, New Holland TN series, Deere 54XX, etc). They are priced close to the CUTs and you get a lot more capability.

/ Tractor Buying Advice #25  
I too have been looking at buying a tractor. I have narrowed it down to the Kubota line as well. I think you get more perfornance vs price with the 'K'. I live in northern Virginia, and here the JDs' are overpriced when compared with the same options you get get with a NH or a K. The NH has a better PTO vs Engine HP performance than the other two, but the K, well it just gives you more for less.

I have been looking at the L3000. I have 4 acres, about 3 of which we mow, try to keep it 'park like'. I want the FEL, and am looking at the rear mount mower, with Turf Tires (the dealer told me he has not sold or even seen an L3000 with turf tires yet, but is not a problem to order one). I want the FEL for some clearing work, knocking over stumps, and moving some rip rap around with. I think it will be adequate for that, but I am not sure if it is overkill for the mowing of only 3+ acres.

Any opinions on this (I am sure there are...lol). Maybe a B series would be better for me, as I suspect over 90% of this tractors use will be mowing, especially after I finish clearing the land we want to clear.

I only have about a 50' driveway, so snow clearing will not be an issue.

Thanks for your help

Ira

/ Tractor Buying Advice #26  
Ira,

The L3000 with a RMM and tooth bar on the FEL will likely suffice your needs, with the Ag tires probably OK unless you have a lot of soft soils/wetland grass areas. Also if you have mostly "one gear" operation (not a lot of turning/back forth movement) the L3000 with the HP and size will work very well.

Yes, we want to help you spend your money (wisely) so you should check out the BX22 series - the BH is worth the investment, and the MMM setup with removable FEL might be worth considering pending the tree stumps and other things (plant this right here requests from the CFO) you will likely encounter.

Good luck and Happy hunting,

Carl

/ Tractor Buying Advice #27  
Darren is right,
You are going to out grow a little tractor FAST, so unless you plan to trade up fairly soon, you better aim higher!!! If you limit your self to a 4 foot rotary cutter (brush hog), you will wish you had bought a bigger tractor as soon as the "new ness" wears off!! I wouldn't even consider a BX.

If you want to save some money, get a gear drive trans., it puts more HP out the PTO than a same size hydro, and once you get use to it, you won't care that you have to shift it!

Personally, i'd be looking at 35 to 40HP Ag. tractors. They come with things you will be paying more for on a compact, and they will take a lot more abuse, and out last a compact easily.

BTW, you "can" buy a rear mounted snow blower that you pull. Yes, you drive through the snow, and then the blower picks the snow up, and blows it away. They are a very well built blower, and you can leave your loader on while you are blowing snow! They come in many sizes, even big ones for Ag. tractors.
Robert

/ Tractor Buying Advice #28  
Ira:
I mow my 3 acres with our TC29 and rear mount mower on R4's. It works just fine, even around the obstacles. For FEL work you might want to consider The R4 tires though.

/ Tractor Buying Advice #29  
I really like my NH TC30. It does well in all I ask it to do.Cost of tractor alone was $10,600. Not a bad price in my humble opinion.

/ Tractor Buying Advice #30  
I've enjoyed the discussion on how best to clear snow. I had a snowblower and traded it for a angleable blade for the loader arms. It is much faster and doesn't create a snow storm by blowing quiet fallen snow back into the air.This is a small version of how the commercial companies clear roads and parking lots.Snow blowers and cute, but ....
For what it's worth. -David-