JD 2020 or Kubota L4200

/ JD 2020 or Kubota L4200 #1  

Steve Wyatt

My nice Kubota L4310 with loader was stolen this spring and I am needing a repalcement tractor. Unfortunately I did not have it insured, didn't even think of someone stealing it, so I don't have insurance money with whch to replace it. I can't buy a new one and have been looking at used tractors.

I have found a 1972 John Deere 2020 diesel with unknown hours that starts and runs well. It has a Great Bend 440 loader installed. The hourmeter shows 1,192 hours, but I know it has way more time than that on it due to obvious wear on some components. The seller wants $6,000 for it which to me seems reasonable, but I may be wrong. I have owned 2 Cub Cadet diesels and the Kubota, but never a JD. It is rated at 53 HP, has single rear remote, live PTO and power steering.

Just today I looked at a 1995 Kubota L4200GST with Kubota LA680 loader. It has a cab with AC & heat, radio and all glass is good. The AC does not work, seller said it probably eeds charged. The tractor has 1,972 hours and appears in very good condition. It has a grill guard, dual rear remotes, all shop manuals and detailed maintenance records. It was owned by a city parks department and used to clear snow on sidewalks and run a finish mower in the summer. Seller is asking $11,000 for it.

I know there is a large price difference, but my question is what will be the best value in the long run? What will be the easiest to sell in a few years if I want to? I really don't need the size and horsepower of the larger JD, but it seems like a solid tractor at a lower price. Will it require a great deal more maintenance than the Kubota? My L4310 had 1,450 hours with only minor issues. It did however overheat pretty easily in hot weather while pulling a 5' bush hog.

The tractor will be used for mowing with a bush hog, occaisional light loader work and misc. light tractor chores.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Steve Wyatt
Colorado

/ JD 2020 or Kubota L4200 #2  
Go with the L4200, I have one and for $11000 with a cab that sounds like a great deal to me, I would not trade mine for anything, it runs circles around my previous NH TC35. Also as far as resale, Kubota's always keep a good re-sale value. just my .02 worth!

/ JD 2020 or Kubota L4200 #3  
We just had a 2020 in the shop with a blown hydraulic line. Come to find out it is no longer available through jd. We had to make a replacement which wasn't a twenty minute job.