Forget the damsel, knight in distress

/ Forget the damsel, knight in distress #1  

Maurice

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45D
Hello to all,

I'm new to the board, and this is my first post. I've spent some time looking at the wealth of posts out here. I've already learned a couple of things, but I refuse to pose as a woman just to posts.

The reason for my post is:

I am currently trying to get out of the tractor maintenance business. By that I mean, I have a Farmall 856 and a Farmall 'M' that sucking the life out of my wallet. I'm wanting to replace them with something newer and smaller if possible.
Here's my criteria:

I live on 40 acres in western Iowa. Some hills. 16 acres of hay ground that I will cut and rake, but I hire out the baling.

Will probably have the baler dial down the round bales to 1000 to 1200 pounds. I'm looking to use a front bale spear and rear forks. So that also leads to a FEL. And also a couple of mowers.

I've got a 7' sickle bar that I will use to cut the hay.
I've never used a rear mount mower. How maneuverable are they. I mow 2 yards about 1.5 acrea each with a few trees. How do they handle near houses and building?

My initial thought was ~40 - 45hp. Not many options for a MMM in this range and above.

I have Case and JD dealer with in 10 mile of the house and very familiar with the Case people. Nearest NH and Kubota dealers about 40 miles away.
The only reservation I have with the latter 2 would be the transporting of the tractor if need arises. I have no trailer to haul it on currently.

Otherwise I'm trying to visit all the dealers and get a little seat time on tractor in the hp range above.

Sorry about the size, just trying to answer as many questions up front as I can.

Soooo.... any and all comments will be greatliy appreciated.

/ Forget the damsel, knight in distress #2  
You're never going to be out of the tractor maintainence business as long as you own and use a tractor. You're just trying to get it down to a dull roar. :) I think you'd be happier with a utility tractor rather than a compact with what you're doing. JD had the '05 and '10 series tractors, NH has the TNs, Case has a line of tractors that are basically TNs painted a different color. Kubota has utility tractors in this range, also, but I'm not familiar with them. Since you have Case and JD dealers close I'd look at them first ( which I'm sure you're already doing). I have a TN65 and I'm really happy with the tractor. I would not be afraid to do anything with it you've described. I've found that JD is more expensive than others for the same size tractor and I've also heard that Case is a little high also. When you get into the 40 to 45 HP compacts you won't save that much money over the cost of the next tier utilities. You'll probably find that the dealer's reputation will be the deal maker in your case, since you'll still have to maintain and repair the thing, why not make it as painless as possible?

/ Forget the damsel, knight in distress #3  
Maurice

Welcome to TBN. You'll enjoy your stay here.

But as usual I have little technical info to offer.

Cheers

/ Forget the damsel, knight in distress #4  
Maurice: Check out the recent thread on the Kubota MX5000. It would seem to be an option for you. As far as your mowing, it would seem like a lawn tractor could easily take care of that. Will C.

/ Forget the damsel, knight in distress #5  
If you decide to step up to an ag-tractor,then take a look at the Valtra M100 series. They are well engineered,overly built tractors with a very extensive option list. One of the best $$values out there. www.valtra.com

/ Forget the damsel, knight in distress #6  
If you want to go the compact route then the 4610 or 4710 would fit your bill perfectly. If you're not going to be running a baler then this tractor will do your cutting and raking just fine. You can get a belly mower for these tractors as well. Your other option is to get a three point rotary or finish mower depending on your ground. It is NOT easy to get close to building, trees, etc. with the three point mower or the belly mower for that matter. You will still need to cut around the corners and close to building, trees, etc. with another mower or weed trimmer.

As far as work on one of these goes forget it!!! That is one of the things I have loved about my 4600, absolutely zero work to the girl except for maint. I couldn't be happier with it. It starts every single time, even down to 25 below, and I have not had to put one single wrench to it in almost three years now.

Like bgott said you can go with the utility tractor but it's going to be bigger and for mowing smaller places it's going to be harder to maneuver. If you anticipate any other farming or running a baler then you may want to seriously consider the utility tractor 5000 series from Deere.

With regard to the other models I can't help you out as I don't use them much. If you have a deere dealer within 10 miles of you I'd go with him. You should be able to negotiate at least 15-20% off of the list price. If they won't do that get a quote from dealers away from where you are and use that as negotiating power. www.midlawns.com has some good prices and they will negotiate some off of that price as well. Best of luck.

/ Forget the damsel, knight in distress #7  
Maurice, it looks to me like you have two different jobs. 1) haying and farming. 2) mowing lawns. To me that calls for two different machines. Anything big enough to hay with will be to big and heavy for the lawn work. You won't be able to get too close to the edges. and the mowers wide enough to cover the track will be wider than optimum for top quality lawn mowing. The 5' woods rear mower we have is harder on the lawn than I like and I only use it on the farm lanes. Actually I find that a 21" push mower does the best job but who has the time to cut acres with a push mower? You might want to think about a dedicated lawn mower. We use a 48" John Deere front mower for the 3 acres of lawn at the farm and it does a great job and has a bagger in case I ever let it get too long (like every week/w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif). The JD turns in 7" so it is great around the many trees and gets close to the buildings and shrubs so there is very little trimming. We use a small Yanmar Tractor for the farm maintence chores.

Chris

/ Forget the damsel, knight in distress #8  
<font color=blue>but I refuse to pose as a woman just to posts.</font color=blue>

/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif Maurice = 6 responses /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif Damsel = 110 responses /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif /w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif

/ Forget the damsel, knight in distress #9  
DEAR M R,
i am the owner of a KUBOTA L3000DT. i am not going to suggest you buy this
brand of tractor. what i suggest is when you are looking at tractors, ask how much
the FEL will lift. you will need something that will handle those heavy bales. also
you may have to buy a balespear that will connect to the FEL, with the bucket
removed. good luck with your projects.
accordionman
william l. brown

/ Forget the damsel, knight in distress #10  
I kinda like the J. D. 5110, good solid middleweight.