Unhappy 4115 Owner

/ Unhappy 4115 Owner #1  

Bertilak

Tractor
JD 4115
I originally ordered a 4110 and I was very surprised when two weeks after placing the order that no one could tell me the status of my machine--neither the dealer nor big JD. I really needed a tractor, so I decided to upgrade to the 4115 which my dealer had in stock. Everything arrived yesterday except the 60" MMM. The dealer doesn't have a clue when the MMM will arrive but he generously loaned me a 72" 3-point mower to use while I'm waiting for the MMM. So far so good.

Unfortunatly, I had some problems with the tractor the first day it was delivered.

After operating the tractor for about an hour I noticed continual (1-2 minutes) whitish-blue smoke coming from the exhaust. I shut down the machine and called the dealer and their service guy told me to "check the oil" and to "keep an eye on the exhaust." When I went to restart the tractor, I counldn't get it started. After about three hours of trouble-shooting I discovered that I appear to have a short in the part of the wiring harness that tells the tractor that the brake is depressed. By jiggling one of the wires I was able to get the tractor running again.

I put about six more hours on the machine this weekend without further incident.

After spending nearly $20000 on a machine is it unreasonable to expect that it should operate correctly the first day? Starting to wonder if I should have went orange . . .

For those interested, here are the specs and final prices (not including tax). The $1200 discount is applied to these numbers:
4115 with/R4s--$13427
410 FEL--$1899
60" MMM--$1749
60" Landpride BB--$575

/ Unhappy 4115 Owner #2  
Sometimes it takes but a small cloud to rain on one's parade. Hope things go better when you get the tractor broke in. Regardless of the color, I suspect all have the same gremlins working to frustrate you. I doubt anyone did this to you on purpose.

/ Unhappy 4115 Owner #3  
After spending nearly $20000 on a machine is it unreasonable to expect that it should operate correctly the first day? Starting to wonder if I should have went orange . . .

You are not at all unreasonable to expect it to operate correctly. Just let me tell you that it is probably one of those one in in one thousand incidents. JD isn't going to screw you. You bought into a company that will take care of you.

These feelings will pass and I am sure you will be happy with your machine. There is no one here, I am sure, that wouldn't feel the same as you do now.

Buck

/ Unhappy 4115 Owner #5  
If that's one of the JDs with the electronics, let me give you a tip. Never ever pressure wash that thing unless you know exactly what might get wet inside.

Do yourself a favor and call JD's corporate office with questions. If you get shunted to customer service, you'll know next time to buy orange.

/ Unhappy 4115 Owner #6  
Lots of happy grey market tractor owners out there. Should have the bugs worked out of them already. I too looked into the big three before buying grey and found out that for what a tractor would cost me I got a tractor, loader, tiller, rear finish mower, brush hog, and box scraper. Very happy with the Iseki and Yanmar tractors
Nick

/ Unhappy 4115 Owner #7  
While it is unfortunate that trouble occured, it is during these times that your dealer and John Deere have an opportunity to shine.

Problems can show up on any tractor regardless of cost or brand. I believe how the problem is taken care of by the dealer/John Deere will determine your overall long term satisfaction.

I wonder if quality would improve if manufacturers had to provide financial compensation any time the product fails during the warranty period.

/ Unhappy 4115 Owner #8  
"I wonder if quality would improve if manufacturers had to provide financial compensation any time the product fails during the warranty period. "

While that might sound good what is being asked is for someone to do perfect work. As soon as all your work is perfect then it might be time to examine the question. Until then just be glad no one is asking money from you when your work is less than perfect. Just looking at it from the point of view of a company owner.

/ Unhappy 4115 Owner #9  
I think the internet has the possibility of giving voice to the consumer. You have to search for information that should be easily available. How many would buy a car if they knew the engine had head gasket problems and the transmission was poorly designed and destined to fail soon after the warranty expired?

Feedback in the market place is the only thing manufacturers understand. Too many companies are run by cost accountants that want the product built cheaply and marketing that confuses the buying process with their ads that associate buying with image.

For example a website that brought together auto mechanics and consumers with true evaluations of cars and trucks would render executive managers in auto companies incontinent overnight. Quality would become more than a marketing slogan.

Someone who ended up with two consecutive year lemons on lease from GM documented everything on his website. He documented all the emails, all the phone calls, and all the letters. The whole chronology was laid out and it went for an extended period. GM was giving him the cold shoulder until someone in GM found out about it and noticed the heavy traffic at his website. GM's attitude changed dramatically. Part of the deal was that he had to eliminate the web stuff. GM took care of everything. Without the website, he'd have been pissing in the wind. GM would still be ignoring him and transferring his complaints.

Consumers have more power than they ever had before. We just don't know it.