Fit and finish

/ Fit and finish #1  

AHNC

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2660 & BX-23
I've been looking at a few brands and today stopped by the local Bobcat dealer. There was a new CT120 and 225 on the lot. A couple weeks ago I looked at a new Kioti CK120. Same tractor, I hear, but when I saw these Bobcats I was shocked at the amount of rust on brand new tractors. This was pretty much all the way around the unit. I'd expect to see it on some of the ends of steel here and there because that is a difficult place to keep covered, but even the hood on these had rust on them. The Bobcats hood has a left/right and center piece. These parts are bent at rt angles and fuse welded to form the hood with a fore and aft channel the length of the hood. The entire length of both hood seams was rusty and if you want that to show up...paint the hood white. I did not notice this on the Kioti a couple weeks ago. Is it the same?

I then went by a Mahindra dealer and have to say that in comparison, they looked great. Drove nice too....Hmmm!

/ Fit and finish #2  
I would think that is unusual. I don't know what caused the rust, but I don't remember seeing any rust on a new tractor, no matter what brand. Of course when I bought mine the Bobcats were not out. I did look at Kioti and I did not see any rudt on them. Could it possibly on the dealer and his care of the tractor?

/ Fit and finish #3  
I see you are in MA....
Maybe they were delivered when the salt was on the road.
We have some early Kioti's out, early CK20's none of which are showing rust where you are describing.

Must be the acidic nature of the White paint :p

BTI

/ Fit and finish #4  
I've been looking at a few brands and today stopped by the local Bobcat dealer. There was a new CT120 and 225 on the lot. A couple weeks ago I looked at a new Kioti CK120. Same tractor, I hear, but when I saw these Bobcats I was shocked at the amount of rust on brand new tractors. This was pretty much all the way around the unit. I'd expect to see it on some of the ends of steel here and there because that is a difficult place to keep covered, but even the hood on these had rust on them. The Bobcats hood has a left/right and center piece. These parts are bent at rt angles and fuse welded to form the hood with a fore and aft channel the length of the hood. The entire length of both hood seams was rusty and if you want that to show up...paint the hood white. I did not notice this on the Kioti a couple weeks ago. Is it the same?

I then went by a Mahindra dealer and have to say that in comparison, they looked great. Drove nice too....Hmmm!
This is the first thing I noticed when I looked at them. I even mentioned it to the dealer. RUST on new white paint looks terrible. I was shocked....

/ Fit and finish #5  
Thats part of the reason I ended up going with JD green plastic. Saw the same thing and my wife noticed it too.:eek:BTW the mahindra I just traded was all metal and not a single spot of rust in 3 years. And I nicked it up in a couple spots.

/ Fit and finish #6  
Rust on new tractor migh be result of not being shipped in a container.
If palletized and simply loaded into a freighter some salt spray or even sea air could cause those symptoms.

/ Fit and finish
I went back to look at the Bobcat's again. Having lived in the Northeast for most of my life I understand the fight against salt corrosion adn feel that your comments are correct. There is no question that the tractors being displayed about 30' off Rt 20 would put significant salt spray on the tractors. Having said that I would just consider this an accelerated test of the quality of the finish by the manuf. Get your tractor wet and in a couple years you will be looking at the same thing in the field and I think that would kinda put me off.

In looking at JD, Kubota, Mahindra I just think the quality of finish on all of them was superior to the Bobcat. I have to get back out and look at the Kioti for comparison.

/ Fit and finish #8  
I went back to look at the Bobcat's again. Having lived in the Northeast for most of my life I understand the fight against salt corrosion adn feel that your comments are correct. There is no question that the tractors being displayed about 30' off Rt 20 would put significant salt spray on the tractors. Having said that I would just consider this an accelerated test of the quality of the finish by the manuf. Get your tractor wet and in a couple years you will be looking at the same thing in the field and I think that would kinda put me off.

In looking at JD, Kubota, Mahindra I just think the quality of finish on all of them was superior to the Bobcat. I have to get back out and look at the Kioti for comparison.

As you approach purchase time and if Kioti is in the running I'd definately touch base with Rick Wallace at Wallace tractor in Lake Ariel PA. A few hundred miles away, but he's got some of the best pricing around and maybe well worth the distance, even including delivery.

Customer service second to none.

I've got no regrets on my Kioti purchase.

Good luck,
Joel