Need Advice

/ Need Advice #1  

shane

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3120
Hey guys, I read here daily and I am aware of the great amounts of sound advice that comes from you. So, I wonder if you'd share a little sound advice with me to help out my father.
He has been using JD riding mowers for about 14 years. He's still has his first but decided he would like to have a new one and use his older one for the rough areas of his property, about two acres. I think he has had his newer one for about 4 years.

The problem is with the newer mower. He always lets his JD dealer do all the service (my dad is great at yard, but not handy with a wrench). Last spring he carried his newer mower to the dealer for service and they told him one of the spindles on the cutting deck was going out and needed replacing. He agreed to have the spindle replaced. After the spindle replacement the cut was horrible. He carried it back and the dealer said that they had put the wrong (too long) spindle on, which they changed out.

Ever since the wrong spindle issue the deck has cut uneven no matter how its adjusted. Dad has carried the mower back about 6 times over the last year complaining about the cut. Each time they do a little something saying it was something else and charging him for it. The last time they say the real problem is the 42" deck is bent and they can not do anything about it.

This problem seems to all have started when the dealer replaced one of the cutting deck spindles.

What should he do or can he do? ....or can he do?

/ Need Advice #2  
Did you check the part# they used and double check to see if it's correct #? You should be able to measure the distance from the bottom of the deck to the blade and compare with the other spindle. You could call JohnDeere constumer service and tell your side of the story. Thats why I try and work on my own stuff when possible. :D

/ Need Advice #3  
ditto that... at least for the stuff I have tools for anyway.

soundguy

/ Need Advice #4  
Turn the deck over and run a straight edge over all the blades and at differing positions. maybe even put the straight edge right on one blade and rotate it to see how it would match up to the other blades. :confused:

This is all to check and see if all the spindles are vertical. If one is out of vertical it may give a rough cut.:D