Tractor Sizing Most popular size tractor

/ Most popular size tractor #1  

MtnViewRanch

Elite Member, Advertiser
Tractor
Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,
This might be best answered by dealers, but anyone can put their 2 cents in. What do you feel is the most popular size tractor sold that we talk about here on TBN? 20hp, 30, 40hp, bigger? Scut, cut, utility.:confused: I have no idea, was just thinking about it. To me something that is 60" wide is a good size, small enough to get around, but big enough that you can get some work done without it taking such a long time to get it done. That size is usually in the 25-35hp range. I may be way off, I know that there are a lot of scuts out there, thus the question. Hard to know the answer without asking, and TBN is the place to find out.:D

/ Most popular size tractor #2  
I sure can't call myself a dealer, that's for certain. Just an old timer who buys and sells a few tractors every year to help pay the bills. Over the years, I've developed a bit of a customer base. People that buy come back, sometimes bringing a friend, wanting another tractor like their buddy has. Maybe my limited niche market is so zero-ed in on a specific buyer that I'm getting a false reading, who knows, but..... I get more demand for tractors in the 40hp range than any other size. I don't deal in to many smaller than 30hp, and as time goes along, I deal less and less with anything bigger than 60/70hp range. So again, my focus is on what I sell. So just a WAG based on my limited experience says 40hp + or -.

/ Most popular size tractor #3  
For a small farm 40HP will do all you need and then some. I had a 38 HP MF135 diesel for many years. Never wanted for power with this tractor and never strained it with a 5' brush hog and a 6' RFM. I have a 30 HP diesel now. It grunts a bit with a 5' brush hog in heavy stuff but handles a 6' RFM easily. With HP comes weight. The size and weight between a 30 HP and 40 HP tractor is significant. Each have their place. Too big a tractor and you can't mow your yard without putting ruts in it. Too big makes it hard to mow in tight places. Too little a tractor and it won't power the some of the attachments you may need around a farm. For those that can afford a tractor for every chore that's not a problem. For me one tractor has to do everything. Size was very important when I chose my tractor.

/ Most popular size tractor #4  
I think it is hard to discuss tractor size without mentioning tasks and acreage. Some guys on TBN are running commercial mowing operations and others are doing chores around the house. For one a 60hp "super CUT" might make sense (leaving Ag's out of this) while for the other 18hp might be just dandy. In my experience I've had just two, a 20hp and a 40hp. The 40 can do things faster and some things the 20 couldn't and the 20 did things easily I do only clumbsily with the 40. Wish I had both.

My current ideal would be a 30hp in the frame of a 20hp that had the loader of the 40.:)

/ Most popular size tractor
I think it is hard to discuss tractor size without mentioning tasks and acreage. Some guys on TBN are running commercial mowing operations and others are doing chores around the house. For one a 60hp "super CUT" might make sense (leaving Ag's out of this) while for the other 18hp might be just dandy. In my experience I've had just two, a 20hp and a 40hp. The 40 can do things faster and some things the 20 couldn't and the 20 did things easily I do only clumbsily with the 40. Wish I had both.

My current ideal would be a 30hp in the frame of a 20hp that had the loader of the 40.:)

Ah, yes. But your ride would be terrible with the tires being loaded with concrete to offset that weight that the loader would then pickup.:eek: :rolleyes: :D

/ Most popular size tractor #6  
While there is no "correct" answer, I think the best sized tractor for projects and chores on a place that's in the 10 to 100 acre size is going to be 40 to 45 HP. I have a 35 HP tractor and it does the job, but I also have a full sized backhoe that makes up for what the small tractor cannot do.

My brother should close on 40 acres on Monday. We've been out looking at tractors and going to auctions. He's going to buy one tractor and expects it to do everything that he needs. From my experience and what I've learned here on TBN, we're looking for at least 40 HP with a loader and 4 wheel drive. We're not too concerned about brands or colors of paint, but it will have to be something with a dealer close to Mabank TX.

With that amount of power, he can handle most implements and loads easily and safely.

Eddie

/ Most popular size tractor #7  
I think around 40hp in the Kub L3x/4x package size is most useful for all around tasks required on a small farm. Enuf power in a nimble package with sufficient capacity to take added weight for heavier tasks when needed. Bigger tractors have their place but are too large/clumsy for the all around do most everything tasks.
larry

/ Most popular size tractor
Thanks for your replies, but I think that some of you might be misunderstanding my question. I am not asking what is the best all around size. My question is what is the most common size that is sold. I don't care if someone has a 100hp machine on one acre:eek: and someone else has an 18hp that they use on their 40 acres. I was just wondering what is the most common size tractor that people buy?

/ Most popular size tractor #9  
Thanks for your replies, but I think that some of you might be misunderstanding my question. I was just wondering what is the most common size tractor that people buy?
BX size. Farms buy em. People with just lawns buy em. Extremely useful on both applications, dont take up much space, etc.
larry

/ Most popular size tractor #10  
For what is discussed on TBN 25 to 30 hp is probably most common. Region and use have a lot to do with what is most popular overall. People around me commonly have utility tractors with smaller acerages generally running 40 to 50 hp models. The most common size on larger places is in the 70 to 100 hp range. The smallest thing I currently own is 70 hp but used to have a 33 hp(MF 1433V) and really liked it because it was such a handy tractor to use around the place. It ended up being just not big enough though for general ranch use.