Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 30-40hp Tractor. Brand? Model?

My dad and I are looking to buy a tractor for his property. Either new or used. The price is not set in stone but preferably not much over $20k for new and around $12k for used. We like the 30-40hp tractor range because of the size and maneuverability of it. The price above would preferably include a front loader and back-hoe. We are both mechanically inclined and would like parts readily available.

We are not sure on the brand. We of course like the JD and kubota. We have looked at NH and a used yanmar. Just wondering opinions and I know you guys are much better at this then me. Open to all idea's and stories.

Thanks,

Jon Brown

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 5203

Default Re: 30-40hp Tractor. Brand? Model?

There are several good brands in that HP size. It would be best to sit on as many as you can and see what fits you best. Some tractors are more comfortable to one person than another. Just like tractors, not all people are built the same. Good luck on your search and enjoy the experience. You will find the right tractor just for you.
    JD 5203, 522 FEL, 6' Bush Hog, 8' Land Pride Disk, 78" Box Blade

Platinum Member
    The real central PA everything else is philly or pittsburgh
    Tractor
    DK45 SE HST

Quote Originally Posted by greggh View Post
    There are several good brands in that HP size. It would be best to sit on as many as you can and see what fits you best. Some tractors are more comfortable to one person than another. Just like tractors, not all people are built the same. Good luck on your search and enjoy the experience. You will find the right tractor just for you.
    I agree, and take into account the costs associated with each tractor. Oil & hydraulic filters, dealer service (costs with pickup and/or delivery), cost of options, etc etc. After you do this, and rethink everything through twice, Then go and buy yourself a Kioti
    DK45 SE HST, RFM, BB, FEL, PHD, toothbar,rear blade, canopy, pallet forks, 6' tiller, and now I need an addition on my pole building

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Might try a good condition frod tlb in the 3-4-5 series range..

soundguy

Tractor
    Where do I begin.....

Find a Massey Ferguson dealer. Walk in and ask to see what they have in the 500 series. They are simple, cost effective, and VERY efficient tractors. You'll find NEW 40hp (533) in the $14,000/$15,000 range. (Local dealer has 'em @ $14,850) That particular tractor is a direct descendant of the classic MF135. You'll see a strong resemblance to the 135. Technology is improved, but the general theme of the tractor is the time-tested design that Massey has carried from their beginning. This is a tractor that an average mechanically adapt person can work on, understand, and use for ages.
    There are three kinds of men;
    1.) The ones that learn by reading
    2.) The few who learn by observation
    3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

Check out the local dealers in your area. I did that first before I decided on a brand. You will be dealing with them for parts and maybe service. You will be surprised how much the quality in service varies from dealer to dealer.

All the majors New Holland, John Deere and kubota are good in this range!

Let us know what you end up with.

Wally
    TC40DA, Bush Hog M246 FEL & Bush Hog RDTH-72 Finisher Mower

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4320 with TNT, electric diverter, cruise control and air suspension seat.

Didn't the new 2600 series replace everything in the 500 series below 65hp?

Tractor
    Where do I begin.....

Quote Originally Posted by froggy View Post
    Didn't the new 2600 series replace everything in the 500 series below 65hp?
    That's possible, I'm not current on the models, but most Massey dealers I've been at have 533's in stock. They may be left-overs, but they are bargains.
    There are three kinds of men;
    1.) The ones that learn by reading
    2.) The few who learn by observation
    3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Thank you all. I will continue to looks but just wanted you to know the post are appreciated. I will definentley be looking at the Massey Fergusons and the new Bobcat line.

Tractor
    Kubota RTV 900, JD 740,Kioti DK 40 with KL401 loader .

kubota,Massey,Kioti,John deere,New holland,Case to name a few.Look at and try them all,IMHO a tractor is a major investment.coobie
    Kioti DK40se hst cab with KL401 loader,Kubota RTV 900,John deere X740,Kioti 73 inch tiller.Ingersoll 4020 3pt,troy bilt tiller,Billy goat brush cutter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast