Looking for new tractor need help

/ Looking for new tractor need help #1  

The Shadow

My old tractor died Tired of repairing old equipment but the new ones can get a bit expensive. Advise needed.
I need to maintain about 50 ac but I want it small enough to get into tight places along the creek with an old shredder to clear.
I think a 35 to 50 horse power will be enough to pull a 6 to 7 foot shredder or a plow. Looking at new...but not opposed to one a few years old.
So far I have looked at the New Holland, Farm Trac and Kubota...and an older Ford
Don't want to be constantly repairing and replacing parts...so what problems do I look out for and which models do I avoid?
Thanks

/ Looking for new tractor need help #2  
Buy new and use it hard, and the maintenance/repair bills have been known to rival old and worn out! BTDT. NEW new has warranty. Once that's gone, you're on your own. For that reason, I PREFER older tractors that are of simple design and construction, yet durable and economical to own. Take that as what it's worth, from someone who's bought 5 NEW tractors in the last 28 months.

As you were describing your needs, I had in mind 45 to 50hp. I take care of 45 acres with a 47hp tractor. Works well, works cheap.

For the time being, Farm Trac is in tractor limbo. I'd avoid a BIG investment until things clear up a little more on that front.

Massey Ferguson, Ford, Deere, IH (Case-IH/CNH, .... Fiat....) Kubota, ect, all build good tractors in that size class. Looking for used? Ford and MF were market leaders in that size in the '60's and '70's. Lotta good buys on tractors there that'll be around, still working, for another 40 or 50 years. Look for a NICE one. Don't just go get the first one you find. Be picky. You'll save a lot of bucks and still have a very capable tractor.

Unlimited budget? Go buy new.

Trying to get the job done right and still have money left for the next project? Find yourself a quality USED tractor from a time when things were simpler.

/ Looking for new tractor need help #3  
Looking for used? Ford and MF were market leaders in that size in the '60's and '70's. Lotta good buys on tractors there that'll be around, still working, for another 40 or 50 years. Look for a NICE one. Don't just go get the first one you find. Be picky. You'll save a lot of bucks and still have a very capable tractor.

Unlimited budget? Go buy new.

Trying to get the job done right and still have money left for the next project? Find yourself a quality USED tractor from a time when things were simpler.

Good Evenin Bill,
Very good advice !

Back then tractors were metal !

Back then there were no computers, just wiring !

Back then they were mostly geared and just wanted to do a days work without a hiccup !

Keep oil in the transmission and engine, and just go ! ;)

Find yourself a quality USED tractor from a time when things were simpler ! Absolutely ! :)

/ Looking for new tractor need help #4  
My old tractor died Tired of repairing old equipment but the new ones can get a bit expensive. Advise needed.
I need to maintain about 50 ac but I want it small enough to get into tight places along the creek with an old shredder to clear.
I think a 35 to 50 horse power will be enough to pull a 6 to 7 foot shredder or a plow. Looking at new...but not opposed to one a few years old.
So far I have looked at the New Holland, Farm Trac and Kubota...and an older Ford
Don't want to be constantly repairing and replacing parts...so what problems do I look out for and which models do I avoid?
Thanks

I assume you'll need an FEL also.

I'm familiar with Kubotas (I owned a new 2005 21 hp B7510HST) and Mahindras (I now own a new 2008 5525). Owned the Kubota for 3 years. No problem after about 180 hours. The 5525 hasn't been used much yet, so I don't know about reliability.

My neighbor has a nice Kubota L4400 that has an FEL with a 6-ft bucket. Nice machine. You could probably find a used 2006 model with FEL for around $16K (4WD, gear tranny).

My 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny, power steering) has a 6ft FEL bucket and cost about $17.5K new. A 2006 Mahindra 5500 (44 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny) with FEL might go for $14K.

/ Looking for new tractor need help #5  
For the time being, Farm Trac is in tractor limbo. I'd avoid a BIG investment until things clear up a little more on that front.

I believe that Farm Trac is now the new Montana "Limited" series. Two local dealers are selling them now alongside the original Montanas. They tell me that Montana bought out Farm Trac.