What would you recommend for 5 Acres??

/ What would you recommend for 5 Acres?? #1  

vpi144

Tractor
BX 2200
Hi,

Just purchased a home with 5 acres in the Boise ID area.
About 1.5 acres is grass/turf. The remaining 3.5 will be pasture and orchard. We have about a 150ft of driveway that will need snow clearance in the winter. I'm thinking 54-60" MMM and a snow blower as options to start.I'm new to mowers and tractors.
I visited the JD dealer since he was a couple of miles away,and he pitched the 4110 and a slightly used 455.
I plan to visit the local Kubota dealer this weekend.

What size machine/model would be good for my situation?

thanks

vin

/ What would you recommend for 5 Acres?? #2  
Vin, it all depends on how much seat time you want.

I think the JD 4110 is a good match. The 455 is a garden tractor not suitable for pasture work.

Other options from the big three in the "small compact tractor size" are:

Kubota BX2200, B7500, B2410 (B2410 compares HP & feature wise with 4110) The BX is lower to the ground & is very stable & manuverable. It does have less as far as loader & three point hitch capacity.

New Holland TC18, TC21D, TC24 (TC21 compares with 4110)

I have a TC18 (18 HP) and it is a good size for my 4 acres. Two acres are cleared part of which is an old apple orchard (don't harvest any yet). If budget was not a concern, I would have gotten more Horsepower, but still gotten a small frame size.

Once you get to medium (JD4210) and large (JD4600) sizes, you gain lots of ablility and also price /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif, but lose manuverablity.

/ What would you recommend for 5 Acres?? #3  
Try the Kubota B7500. Should be perfect for your size lot, mowing , etc.

/ What would you recommend for 5 Acres?? #4  
As mentioned before take a look at the:

BX22, BX2200, B7500 and B2410.

Then try out a L3010 just for the heck of it.

I have 5 acres and own a L3410. But then again it's overkill.

/ What would you recommend for 5 Acres?? #5  
Hi Vin,
You're living where I'm from. Most of my family are probably within 10-30 minute drive of you. My one brother lives right by Eagle. I have a ranch just north of you up by McCall, ID that I own with my uncle. Great place to live. We hope to move back out there in a few more years.

With regard to your tractor I think the 4110 or a 4210 would be perfect for you. I would stay away from the 455 as it wouldn't do as good of a job and I think you will find yourself with too little tractor. In addition to your mower and snow blower I would get a loader as well. You will find one invaluable, esp. if you have any livestock.

What are you doing with the acreage? Do you have any horses or livestock?

Best of luck with your new place.

/ What would you recommend for 5 Acres??
We just moved in a week ago and your right it's great.

Aside for the grass area, all I have are hip high weeds. I plan to turn that waste area into a small pasture and an orchard for some fruit trees.

Just trying to start out with suitable equipment.

thanks for the advice

vin

/ What would you recommend for 5 Acres?? #7  
I asked a similar question in the post "Tractor Buying Advice", you may also check out the comments.

I am going with a BX22 for a 35 acre property. Configured with a 60" MMM, and a 48" Rotary Cutter.

Seth

/ What would you recommend for 5 Acres?? #8  
I think you have way too much lawn. Take an acre of it and turn it into a veggie garden. As for the pasture/orchard, sounds like a good idea.

/ What would you recommend for 5 Acres?? #9  
Wow, I think you described my property situation. I ended up with a New Holland TC25D. It fits my situation perfectly. I mow about 1.5 acres of grass and 3.5 mixed trees and grass. I bought my 25D with the FEL and recently purchased a 60" rear mower from the local TSC. The unit is small enough to cut around trees, and big enough for loader work. Visibility is fantastic and the deluxe 3 pt. rear hitch is VERY convenient.
My other contender was a 2710 with FEL, but I just felt the NH was better finished, plus the dealer interaction was better.
Whatever you end up with, it's going to be fun!
Good luck.

/ What would you recommend for 5 Acres?? #10  
You're on the right track considering the 4110, the BX22, the NH21 to 25 HP , etc... We live on one acre with a large lawn, a garden and about 12 fruit trees. We also own 20 acres that we intend to move to some day. We looked at all of the same tractors mentioned here, as well as the CUB series. We ended up with the Power Trac PT425. All are great machines with plusses and minusses. Skip the lawn tractors. You'll get much more use from a 20 - 25 HP tractor, especially once you get off the lawn.

Just for comparrison, this is what we got and how much we paid for it:

PT425
Small bucket W/teeth
Large light material bucket
60" finish mower
48" brush hog
60" snow blade
30" pallet forks
Custom attachment plate for future projects
Loading ramps to get it in my truck
Extra set of blades for finish mower
And I ordered the arm rests as well.

Grand total: $12,591.64 including shipping.

It has been a real pleasure to own and operate. If you're interested, and even it you're not /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.power-trac.com> here's a link to their website </A>

No matter which machine you choose, I think you'll be happy, as long as you take your time and do your research first. Good luck and keep asking questions.