Grave Digging?

/ Grave Digging? #1  

snooks

Bronze Member
Tractor
YM2500
Does anyone have a small tractor and hoe they use digging in tight places, like between cemetery head stones? I am interested in hearing some input on a good machine that can dig graves (5 ft deep x 4 ft wide x 7 ft long) and yet would be able to drive in and around head stones. The budget is tight so I suspect a grey market unit might be in order, unless we could combine it with a mower. Then we could have two machines in one. That frees the budget a little more. Suggestions?

/ Grave Digging? #2  
You might want to check the local rental yards for a Terramite T5(B,C). My friend has an older T5B, and while we have never used it to dig a grave, it would probably do the job. We normally dig the graves by hand, but I want to try the backhoe on my tractor next time we dig one in an accessable spot in the cemetary. My tractor, a Long Landtrac 360DTC, is definitely too big for what you are looking for, but the Terramite would definitly fit the bill. Here is a Link</font color=red> to thier website, but the new ones are pricey, thats why I suggested a used one from a rental yard. Hope this helps out.

/ Grave Digging? #3  
How much room is there between the head stones? How do you dispose of the dirt? I'm assuming you are digging from one end and I'm wondering if you can swing a backhoe far enough to dump the dirt. Here is one approach <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.butler-machinery.com/bs_7.html>Backhoe digging a grave</A>. If you don't have space for a tractor, you might consider a mini-excavator. It looks like they are more maneuvarble and can swing 360. I don't know about pricing. I bet they are tough on the turf though.

-david

-david

/ Grave Digging? #4  
Sounds like a job for a small rubber tracked excavator, with a backfill blade on the front. Their small, extremely, agile and can dig 360 degrees from the place it is parked, and usually handle a bigger bucket than a compact tractor mounted backhoe. I beleive they have even developed special buckets now, just for digging graves to give you that square cornered, flat bottom.

/ Grave Digging? #5  
look at backhoes from hardy out of canada, they make a nice hoe with extenda hoe, gives you an extra reach and depth in a smaller hoe, availible in 3pt or subframe mounts. also i'm pretty shure they have an extra wide bucket for digging graves. i get them here in connecticut, not shure if they are in all parts of the country, if you interested i'll get you some info and pricing, i don't stock them but have sold a few.

/ Grave Digging? #6  
The Kubota 7500N is a tractor specifically advertised for that work. It is a 7500 basic design with a very narrow wheelbase for getting into those "tight places".

Check it out at a dealer or at Kubota's website.

paul

/ Grave Digging? #7  
The caretaker at the cemetary that will be my home in the future uses a JD 445 with backhoe that digs the grave. It looks small for doing this kind of work but he does dig that grave /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif....all except big rocks that have to be pulled up using a bigger TLB. It does double duty cutting the lawn.

/ Grave Digging?
Wow, a lot of input in a short period of time. All you guys are great. To answer the question about distance between head stones, from front to back can be 8 ft. of coarse side to side can be close if each grave has a stone. There is difference rules in our new section, rules there are stones must be flush with the ground. One up right stone can be put on a four grave lot. So in the future the stones will not be that big a deal. The old section will be an issue for a while. The dirt is often placed in a box next to the grave and covered from view for the services. Of coarse each grave will be different depending on grade, trees, surrounding stones and such. I'm headed to check out some of the info you good folks have provided. Thank you...

/ Grave Digging? #9  
we have approx 25 customers in the business..all but 2 have B21s and love them, two have L35 and use them for other bh task as well

/ Grave Digging? #10  
Check out a Kioti 1914 with a Kioti brand loader and a 1550 Backhoe. Both loader and Backhoe are quick disconnect making it possible to use the tractor for other things.