Help choosing 1st compact tractor/loader

/ Help choosing 1st compact tractor/loader #1  

Browns329

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240, HST, LA854 Loader with QA bucket
Please help choosing 1st compact tractor/loader

I have read through a lot of the posts, and I would like advice on selecting my 1st tractor. Here is my situation

INTENDED USE
I recently purchased 5 acres and about 3-4 acres is light woods (fairly level). I intend to use the tractor for clearing, grading, and installing fencing. Manure clean up, moving hay, etc. for some animals. Occasional snow plowing 300 foot paved driveway and gravel drives. Landscaping such as moving mulch, stone, and prepping areas for grass. I grew up working on a farm/nursery, so I may eventually plant an acre or so with trees and/or vegetables. Working on the farm, I am pretty familiar with the use of various types of tractors/loaders. I was also considering using the tractor for mowing the lawn, but I found a decent used zero turn rider so that I don't have to worry about a finishing mower on the loader. The z-rider should also be faster than a tractor for mowing.

TRACTOR SEARCH
I have been looking for a new tractor or used tractor with low hours, but there are not many nice used ones in my area (southern NJ). I definitely want 4WD, and probably hydrostatic drive. I am guessing around 30 hp. R4 tires would probably be most versatile. Skid steer QA bucket would be nice. Here are some that I have considered:

NEW
(most with hydrostatic trans, R4 tires, QA bucket)

Kubota B7800 - $14,600, 30/22 hp (leftover, ag tires)
Kubota B3200 - $17,000, 32/23 hp

Kubota L2800 - $16,700, 28/24 hp
Kubota L3400 - $19,000, 34/29 hp
Kubota L4400 - $21,400, 44/36 hp

Kubota L3240 - $21,600, 32/25 hp
Kubota L4240 - $22,900, 42/35 hp
Kubota L4740 - $24,000, 47/40 hp

John Deere 2720 - $18,700, 32/24 hp
John Deere 3320 - $23,500, 33/25 hp

New Holland T1510 - $19,500, 30/25 hp
New Holland T1520 - $20,800, 35/30 hp
New Holland Boomer 2035 $22,500, 35/29 hp

Case IH 35 $20,000 cash / $23,000 if finance program

USED

Kubota L3000 - $10,900 - 28 hp, 300 hrs, gear drive, ag tires (dealer-rental)
2006 Kubota L3400 - $13,750 - 34 hp, 30 hours, gear drive, turf tires (dealer)

2004 John Deere 4210 - $10,500 - 27/22 hp, 650 hours, hydrostatic, turf tires (local private owner)
John Deere 990 - $12,000 - 40/45 hp, 600 hours, gear drive, turf tires (brother-in-law)

New Holland TC45 - $17,000 - 45 hp, 1500 hrs, R4 tires (dealer rental)

I know this is quite a range of sizes and prices. That is why I would like some advice. The Kubota B7800 and B3200 seemed small, but I have never used a compact loader that small. The 40-45 hp tractors are probably a little bigger than I would need, but they seemed like good deals and I don't want to spend this much money on something that will be underpowered and be a disappointment. On the other hand, I don't want to pay $5,000 more for something that I won't make use of. As you can see, most of my pricing is for Kubota. I like the sloping hood on the Case IH, JD, and NH, but they seem to cost a few thousand more than the Kubotas in a similar size.

Thank you for any help!!!

Last edited:
   / Help choosing 1st compact tractor/loader #2  
Re: Please help choosing 1st compact tractor/loader

Welcome to TBN...All of the machines you listed are great machines. Personally, I have Kubotas and couln't be happier with them.

My opinion is that if you can afford it, go new. You really don't know how they were maintained, and that is key.

I looked around for a while, and I found that there were two classes, ruined and mint. The good ones were bringing almost as much money as the new ones.

I have a BX, but the B is a little bigger and might serve your needs better.

In my case, I have about 3 acres and mine is perfect for me, but I'm not doing farming with it.

/ Help choosing 1st compact tractor/loader #3  
You need to reverse your approach and figure out which implements you need now, 1 year from now, 5 years from now. Once you have this list in hand, selecting a tractor will be a lot easier. Right now you're just potshotting.

/ Help choosing 1st compact tractor/loader
You need to reverse your approach and figure out which implements you need now, 1 year from now, 5 years from now. Once you have this list in hand, selecting a tractor will be a lot easier. Right now you're just potshotting.

Can someone suggest what implements would be needed for the work that I listed? I am guessing that the FEL would do a lot of the work. I might also use forks and some type of grader blade. I can probably borrow some implements from family if I am only going to use them a few times a year (bush hog, plow, tiller, post hole drill).

/ Help choosing 1st compact tractor/loader #5  

Agree with this, just don't buy somthing too big for your needs, the machine will get in it's own way...Been there, done that.

Implements...FEL with a tooth bar, a must. Box grader, rake and rear blade will take care of most things. A tiller (with a PTO clutch, a must) would help as well.

/ Help choosing 1st compact tractor/loader #6  
You should really check out the Bobcat CT line, there are some fantastic deals out right now.

/ Help choosing 1st compact tractor/loader #7  
Agree, check on the Bobcats. I bought a Bobcat CT230 last week. 30hp w/ QA Bobtach loader for $12,200. They are all HST.

/ Help choosing 1st compact tractor/loader #8  
Add in to your factors your experience fixing machines, welding, local to you dealers, height, weight and shoe size.
Experience - if something breaks can you fix it?
Welding - Lot's of things can be enhanced with a little heat.
Dealers -how far do you have to go to a GOOD dealer to help with the above?
Height - Are you going to hit your head on the ROPS?
Weight - Size of seat and finding a comfortable seat
Shoe size - NOT JOKING - my size 13's didn't look like they would fit well on a BX 24. I still get my foot caught a little on my B7610.

Used - Look at Barlows

Also look at Kioti - a Bobcat is a Kioti painted white, the stealershuiip may make the difference.

/ Help choosing 1st compact tractor/loader #9  
Bobcat's are the same as Kiotis, but Kiotis do not have the rebates that Bobcat has right now. The exact same equivalent Kioti tractor that I bought, I was quoted $5,000 more. No mfg. can touch the Bobcat deals at this time. They will not keep this up forever. It's a great time to buy.

/ Help choosing 1st compact tractor/loader #10  
Can someone suggest what implements would be needed for the work that I listed? I am guessing that the FEL would do a lot of the work. I might also use forks and some type of grader blade. I can probably borrow some implements from family if I am only going to use them a few times a year (bush hog, plow, tiller, post hole drill).

You're right. The FEL can do a lot of the work you listed. For example, I'm using the FEL on my 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, FEL with 2950 lb lift capacity) to pull out the wooden posts and steel T-posts on 1/4 mile of old fencing on my place. I don't think that the FEL on my previous tractor, a 2005 Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto, FEL with 800 lb lift capacity), could pull some of that stuff out of the ground. So you need to figure out the max load you're going to lift with that FEL to do the jobs you listed and then find a tractor with a suitably sized FEL.

Moving hay---loose hay? Baled hay? Round bales? Square bales? What's the bale weight? You need to answer these questions first to figure out what implement(s) you might need (hay spear? hay clamp? attached to the FEL? attached to the 3pt?)and then fit the tractor to the implement(s).

Snow removal: front blade? rear blade? snow blower? If you get an FEL with a skid steer type quick attach, you could drop the bucket and attach a blade to make the job easier.