Looking for tractor! (long. . .)

/ Looking for tractor! (long. . .) #1  

Jim2

Bronze Member
Looking for tractor!

I've been making do with my little Powerking for the last 2 winters, and now I'm finally situated to make an upgrade. Here's what I've got

07-DoneLeftSide.jpg

This machine really is a trooper. She's taken everything I've thrown at her. This includes plowing my driveway in winter, which is 400' long with about 50' rise from one end to the other. Also pulling my 4' x 8' trailer loaded down with firewood, lifting logs onto my trailer, plowing the garden, disking, etc.

I'm looking for something that is just a little bigger. I'd like 24" wheels in back instead of the 16" wheels I've got now. I'm looking for gearshift as my main tasks involve lots of heavy pulling, and pushing. My acreage is mostly wooded, so I don't need a shredder. I don't maintain any fences, so not looking for PHD. I mow the lawn with a Cub Cadet, so don't need finish mower, either.

I'd like 4WD, differential lock, and power steering, and a FEL (of course!) :)

But, I don't want anything too big either. I've only got 12 1/2 acres, and I want to be able to manuever through the woods w/o having to cut huge paths everywhere. I don't have that much extra room in the shed either. . . .

Anyway, I've been looking on Craigs List, Ebay, Tractorhouse, and MachineFinder. So far I'm kind of favoring something like a Ford 1715 or so. Or, maybe something like a Kubota L2350. Possibly Mahindra or Yanmar also. Nothing definite.

I went and looked at a Ford 1715 last night. It's a 1994 with FEL and 4WD, 612 hours that they want $9000 for. I was not impressed. The loader is crumpled up on one end. The seat is held on by one bolt (the other one is sheared off in the casting). It doesn't look to me like any service as been performed. The front tires are completely shot--no tread at all. The area between the lugs is scrubbed from driving on asphalt. And, the rims in back are rusting--I assume they are leaking Calcium Chloride.

I've been thinking about how that loader got bent like that. It had to be abuse! What seemed really funny (weird funny), is that the front edge of the bucket sat flat on the asphalt even though the bucket is clearly bent only on one end. I'm thinking the whole loader would have to be tweaked for that to happen. . . . How, did this happen in the first place? Maybe the clutch was rusted up and they tried to free it by running it into a wall or something? Who knows? Anyway, this is probably not "the one".

Any thoughts?

Jim

Last edited:
   / Looking for tractor! (long. . .) #2  
I think you are looking in the right size range.. perhaps a 1630.. even a tc18/21/26

soundguy

/ Looking for tractor! (long. . .)
Thanks, Soundguy. I know from reading here that you're kind of a Ford guy. Can you add anything to help me pick Ford over Kubota, or others? I'm really undecided, but there doesn't seem to be any Ford dealers nearby. The closest--that I know of--has got to be at least 50 miles away. One of the threads I was reading seemed to suggest that maintenance items and parts might cost more if they're blue. . . . Any comments there? I'm not trying to stir the pot or anything, there's just lots that I don't know!

Jim

/ Looking for tractor! (long. . .) #4  
I've got nothing much in the way of suggestions, but I just wanted to say that little PowerKing is the neatest thing I've seen today.

Even if you get a bigger tractor, you should probably keep the PK, just for the cool factor.

/ Looking for tractor! (long. . .) #5  
07-DoneLeftSide.jpg

1*I'm looking for something that is just a little bigger. But, I don't want anything too big either.
2*I'd like 24" wheels in back instead of the 16" wheels I've got now.
3* I'm looking for gearshift as my main tasks involve lots of heavy pulling, and pushing.
4*I'd like 4WD, differential lock, and power steering.
5*Want a FEL
6*So far I'm kind of favoring something like a Ford 1715 or so. Or, maybe something like a Kubota L2350.
7*I went and looked at a Ford 1715 last night. It's a 1994 with FEL and 4WD, 612 hours that they want $9000 for.
8*I was not impressed.
9* this is probably not "the one".Jim
1*In that Case I'd recommend a S compact or a Compact such as A kubota BX or a B series.
Another good choice would be a JD 2210 or 2305
Or a MF sub compact.

2*My BX1500s have 24'' rear wheels.

Rear wheels on my BX23 are 26''.
3*I would not recommend gear for loader work.
Go hst it will handle what ever you hand it and make things much easier for you.
4*All standard on a Subcompact.
5*Standard on a Bx23
6*If you want just a little bigger you don't want an L seres.
I'd call that a lot bigger.
7*$ 9000 is way 2 much for a 15 year old beat up tractor.
I bought 2 of the tractors pictured new.
1 was 8100 and the other 1 was 6300 with out attachments.
8*Neither am I!
9*what do you mean probably not? /Definately not !

/ Looking for tractor! (long. . .) #6  
If you're working in the woods, you probably don't want a BX series. Too low of ground clearance and a transmission cooling fan way under the drivers seat that will probably lose a blade or two in the first week. In my opinion, the B series would be much better choice.

Mike

/ Looking for tractor! (long. . .) #7  
1*In that Case I'd recommend a S compact or a Compact such as A kubota BX or a B series.
Or a MF sub compact.

2*My BX1500s have 24'' rear wheels.

Go hst it will handle what ever you hand it and make things much easier for you.
5*Standard on a Bx23
8*Neither am I!

I find it hard to beleive Your rear wheels are 26 inch inches LB . I could be wrong though , Maybe overall tire size . Mine are 24 inch wheels on the rear & it sure looks much bigger then Yours .

To the OP , I wouldn,t rule out a good used grey market tractor for Your needs. Sure Parts might be hard to find on some models. IF You ever need any. :rolleyes:

I,ve been running My Isekis for years & haven,t needed any parts Yet , Just regular service & I dont do that as regularly as most . I put on an average 6 hours a day on them . Sure Might not be the Pertiest tractor . But Bullet proof IMO & I aint found anything They wont do .

If I was to sell Mine today I would ask around 6 to 7 grand with loader & attachments . But You can find them cheaper . Just check them out good before buying .

Check out the Iseki forum here & you,ll find it one of the loneliest places here , Not Because no one has them , Just because they very seldom break down :D . Just My opinion . Best of luck. Bob

Attachments

• P7150001.JPG
    P7150001.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 128
  • P7150002.JPG
    P7150002.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 113
I've got nothing much in the way of suggestions, but I just wanted to say that little PowerKing is the neatest thing I've seen today.

Even if you get a bigger tractor, you should probably keep the PK, just for the cool factor.

Thanks for the compliment.

I've got a lot of sweat equity invested in the powerking. I bought it back in 2001, had the engine overhauled, reworked some of the drivetrain, put new tires on, added the loader, etc.. I lived in town on a 1/2 acre lot, so it really was just a hobby waiting for "someday". Two years ago we finally found the right place and moved to the country.

Yeah, I've thought about keeping it, but I really don't have enough room. And it is just not quite enough tractor around here. With my space (or lack), I'd just come to resent working around it after a while.

They are a pretty neat machine, though. They were made right here in Wisconsin for many years. There's is quite an interesting story, and there is a Yahoo group devoted to them.

Jim

Or a MF sub compact.
5*Standard on a Bx23
8*Neither am I!

I think the lil' Powerking is a little more tractor than you realize! When I said 16" rears, I meant 16" rims. The tires themselves are well over 30". I think that Powerking would outpull your HSTs w/o breathing hard. . . . So. . . . I guess you can tell which side of the gear/hydro debate I'm on, LOL! ;):D:eek:
Yeah, hydro would be nice for loader work, but I'm really wanting something that can push and pull heavy stuff up and down this *big* hill I live on!

I don't mean to rip you too hard. I know you're happy with what you have, and I appreciate that. I know I didn't specify horsepower in my post anywhere, and I did that on purpose so that other folks might chime in and give their honest suggestions. And here I go, oh well. . . . :eek:

As far as the Ford I looked at. That was at a Deere dealership. They were probably just looking to liquidate a trade-in. Around there seem to be a lot of dealerships that are part of big chains. This one has 5-6 different stores all over Southern Wisconsin. I Googled them yesterday, and Google maps didn't even seem to have a picture of their location. I went there last night and there were two big, new buildings, lots of asphalt, gravel--improvements of all kinds. I'm guessing it was all done in the last year or two or else it would have been in Google? Anyway, they've got to pay for all that somehow! You think that Ford was too high. . . . What do you say to this?

1985 KUBOTA B7100 Less than 40 HP For Sale At TractorHouse.com

Same company! :D

Jim

/ Looking for tractor! (long. . .) #10  
Thanks, Soundguy. I know from reading here that you're kind of a Ford guy. Can you add anything to help me pick Ford over Kubota, or others? I'm really undecided, but there doesn't seem to be any Ford dealers nearby. The closest--that I know of--has got to be at least 50 miles away. One of the threads I was reading seemed to suggest that maintenance items and parts might cost more if they're blue. . . . Any comments there? I'm not trying to stir the pot or anything, there's just lots that I don't know!

Jim

Yes.. I'm partial to ford and New holland. And those models listed should be found at NH dealerships.. or used resales places.

Blue over orange? I like the red/grey/blue paint color better ;)

In all seriousness.. I like the old fords as they are realitively easy to work on and parts availability s generally good for many older models. newer ford/nh units are likely jap made. and should be of similar quality as the kubota line.

I don't have anything specifically negative to say about kubota.. I've run a couple of them here and there when there was nothing else to use :) I have seen some examples here of issues with power steering hoses.. however every 'color' tractor seems to have it's own skeleton in the closet... to be fair, some NH units tend to fog their instrument panel pretty good.. etc.. etc. One thing i like about ford / nh is the $$ in my area.. for 'big 3' brands, ford's and NH's are pretty much the cheapest HP per $ massey ferguson is very close second.. kubota and john deer are for te rich people :( I'm sure this is a regional thing. I've heard other in different parts of the country state differently that their brand color was cheaper than blue.. etc.. etc.

soundguy