Can't make up my mind

/ Can't make up my mind #1  

wmiller

Tractor
Kubota L3010 HST
Can\'t make up my mind

I have been shopping for a CUT for about a month now. It has been a tough decision. I guess my main problem is departing with about 15 to 18 grand for a tractor.

We will soon be moving into a new home with 30 acres. We will have about 2-5 acres in grass to mow next year, about a 1200-1500 foot driveway to plow this winter that is uphill. And we will have some horses in a year or so.

I started looking at the smaller Kubotas, such as the B7500's. Then after talking to a new neighbor that has a 24hp IH and feels it's adequate I thought I'd go for at least this size. I also have a neighbor now that has about a 22hp Ford and he said he wouldn't recommend me getting anything smaller. I was leaning toward the NH TC24D (new model) but for only about $1300 more I can get a TC29D with a few more features. Since I started my searching with the Kubotas but at the time was considering smaller HP units I just today went back to the Kubota dealer and looked at their B2710 and B2910. (I have eliminated from my mind the JD. I am not confortable with the way that it doesn't have a clutch.)

I admit the investigation has been fun, but now it's getting tiring. There's other things I could be doing.
I'd appreciate any and all opinions.
Thanks,
Bill

/ Can't make up my mind #2  
Re: Can\'t make up my mind

Bill, having owned a B7100 and a B2710 (and I just have 10 acres of my own, but did a lot on friends' and relatives' places), for your place, the B2710/2910 or TC29 is the smallest thing I would really want, but as has been said many times on the forum, if the budget is tighter than the time to do the jobs, you can do them with a smaller tractor; just figure on a lot more time on it.

/ Can't make up my mind #3  

I agree with Bird (usually a safe bet, anyhow). I have a Deere 4200 and find myself wishing it was a 4300 or 4400 (or 2710 or 3010 in orange). /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Can't make up my mind #4  

Bill:

I beleive the advice that you have recieved, in regards to the size of property you have received versus the size of tractor has been pretty accurate so far. With 30 acres you will have plenty of future projects to tackle.

It sounds like the you have already evaluated your immediate uses for your tractor. "3 to 5 acres in grass to mow",and with horses coming later, I'm assuming you'll need at least a 5' brush hog for pasture mowing and maybe some brush clearing. If its a large lawn your considering for your new house I think maybe a 6' rear discharge finish mower (I've just purchased a 72" First Choice GM30-72, can't say enough good things about it, just my personal preference though.) Or a 60 or 72 inch mid mount mower ( I think New Holland is the only company that offers the MMM in rear discharge.) A front end loader should be considered as an absolute must. 1001 uses, from landscaping and land clearing, to diveway and ditch maintenance, stall cleaning, to simply using it as a wheelbarrow or as a hoist to save your back. You'll never stop finding new ways to utilize it. As far as snow removal goes a snow blower or a front or rear mounted blade are your options. However you might consider the length of your proposed drive, could mean a lot of looking over your shoulder, for a rear mounted implement.

Now for a tractor to handle all that, I think you should be looking at a minimum of 29 to 30 horsepower. My personal preference is New Holland, which you are already considering. Keep in mind that they also offer the TC33D, as well as the TC30. Which is more of an economy tractor, yet still offers hydrstatic drive as an option.

/ Can't make up my mind #5  

I think it all depends on the jobs you want to do now AND in the future. We bought a 25HP Power Trac for 20 acres, but that 20 acres is all woods or will be soon. All I really have to do with it when we move out there is mow trails, maintain landscaping and mow the finish lawn around the house, which will probably be less than an acre of grass. From the sound of things, you will need a bigger tractor. As mentioned on many other posts, get the biggest thing that you can afford, as long as it doesn't smash your lawn or your budget /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Can't make up my mind #6  

Check out the Kioti DK models.
Excellant machines that will do what you have in mind!!

/ Can't make up my mind #7  

See if you have a local Jinma dealer. Durable tractors that won't break the bank.

/ Can't make up my mind #8  

A question about Kiotis - Why are they so much cheaper than the others? I'm not trying to be funny either. I've checked their web sight and gotten prices. Are they a step or two lower in quality? I don't think the other manufactures all artifically raise their prices and kioti does'nt. (It's not the color of the paint either)

/ Can't make up my mind #9  

The cost of labor in the country of origin affects the cost.

/ Can't make up my mind #10  

cchoate,
The lower prices on Kioti tractors must be lower labor cost.
I have a DK 35 and can tell you it is not lower quality!