Ford 2120 4x4

/ Ford 2120 4x4 #1  

Anonymous Poster

A Ford tractor 2120 4x4 deisel that won't move.
I think it is an automatic trans, the fluid is fine

what could be wrong?

/ Ford 2120 4x4
<font color=blue>...that won't move. I think it is an automatic trans...</font color=blue>

I've never seen a "hydro" 2120... how about your clutch needing replacement...?

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Ford 2120 4x4 #3  
I use a Ford 2120, its a 12X12 transmission. If its not moving, it must be the clutch/pressure plate assembly or a broken drive system. Does the PTO turn when engaged, does the engine load up/ RPM drop when you let the clutch out after starting. I'd check those out. If the pressure plate is not engaging because the throwout bearing is frozen on the shaft, you won't go.

/ Ford 2120 4x4 #5  
A 2120 with the HSS transmission that won't drive, and PTO won't drive either. Sounds like the single disc clutch is shot. If it has no hydraulic shuttle, still could be clutch, but must be multiple problems, as that configuration has a double clutch.

/ Ford 2120 4x4 #6  
Here's a dumb question.....is the brake locked down? That wouldn't affect the PTO, though, if it's a 2-stage clutch. Unless you aren't letting the clutch out nearly enough, now that you know there is a problem.

Just a silly thing that ocurred to me. Silliness finds me easily.

/ Ford 2120 4x4 #7  
Knucklehead, there are no questions that are more dumb than some of the conclusions we jump to. To tell a story about myself, embarrasing as it is, you'll see what I mean.

A couple years ago, my Ford 1210 HST refused to move from the spot where I had parked it. Thinking it HAD to be the clutch, I managed to push it into the garage and split it. When I got it apart, everything looked fine. Befused and confuddled, the best move to make next was give up for the day and go for a shower. While shampooing my bald head, the massaging action must have made some blood flow to my brain for a change. Had an idea that just mebbe I should have checked to see what position the little lever marked "H-N-L" might be in. After getting dried off and slipping some clothes on, a quick trip to the garage revealed it was in "N". Well DUH.

I told a bud about this, and he laughed and told me that he had recently drained and dropped the fuel tank on his minivan to replace the fuel gauge sending unit. He's an electronical kinda guy, and out of curiosity checked the old sending unit only to find it was OK. Further inspection turned up a blown fuse. He told me he believes as we get older, we sometimes skip checking the simplest things and jump to the more complex because of impatience.

Since then, I try to "begin a the beginning" when faced with a problem.............chim

/ Ford 2120 4x4
I checked the HNL and when placed in H and rpm's up
it tries to move, in L nothing

/ Ford 2120 4x4 #9  
its the clutch both discs, will cost about 1000.00 to fix , i just had this happen to my 1920 , i took it in and the salesman talked me into a tc 45 , now thats an expensive clutch.....haha

/ Ford 2120 4x4 #10  
The electronic modules in these tractors have been know to fail if this is a 2120 with HSS transmision, if your PTO is still running I would look at this as the cause.