The adventures of a Newbie shopping for a tractor.

/ The adventures of a Newbie shopping for a tractor. #21  
Moving round bales dictates something larger than most 30 hp tractors. I've moved them w/a 3 pt hitch spear and a 45hp MF 65 tractor & I'd say it was marginally big enough to do it safely. The lift capacity isn't the whole story. You'll have to keep the front end down & that requires weight. (A FEL might be used to counterbalance). I haven't used a bale mover & can't comment on them but using a tractor too small for a job is a formula for disaster. Maybe you can go with small square bales & 30 hp? Sorry if I sound preachy. Good luck.

/ The adventures of a Newbie shopping for a tractor. #22  
Ok some quick newbie education please.

Because it matters to my father-in-law (who may be helping finacially with purchase), who makes what engines?

JD -
Kubota -
NH -
Mahindra -
Branson -
Kioti/Bobcat -
MF -
Montana -
Any others? -

He heard International mentioned when the dealer was talking about the 4025 Mahindra and Cummings for the 3510i Branson. These brands sparked his interest but I'm not sure they are MADE by these companies or associated with them????

today:
Going to call the Kioti/Branson dealer up the road. Then get some info on Montana too.

Still no opinion on Montana. Reputation? How long have they been around. I just learned of them last night. Great! Another road to explore!

To the best of my knowledge:

JD - JD or Yanmar depends on model - Jap or US
Kubota - Kubota - Jap
NH - Shibaura probably - Jap depends on how big you go though
Mahindra - Mahindra - India or Mitsubushi - Jap maybe even Daedong- Korea - depends on model
Branson - Not sure on Branson, but likely a Korean powerplant
Kioti/Bobcat - Daedong - Korea
MF - Iseki most likely - Jap depends on model though
Montana - Likely Mitsubishi - LS is leaving Montana and Branson and Montana are partnering up.

Kiot/Bobcat, Branson, Montana are all Korean machines. Mahindra Ag tractors are Indian made and the compacts are mostly Mistubishi made for Mahindra. Kubota makes its own stuff. Deere pulls from many locations it seems nowadays.

/ The adventures of a Newbie shopping for a tractor. #23  
I wouldn't worry a whole lot about who makes the engine. I had never heard of most of these engine makers until I started looking at tractors. I would have no hesitation with any of the asian manufacturers.

I know the Yanmar in my JD runs like a top and has a great reputation.

/ The adventures of a Newbie shopping for a tractor. #24  
i have a Foton 404, 44x4, fel, it now has 478 hrs on it,3 yrs old. i am quite happy with it...

ready-togo.jpg

/ The adventures of a Newbie shopping for a tractor. #25  
you need HST, 4wd, and a FEL. Trust us.

I'd call montana a 2d brand. I don't mean that as an insult. As I understand it, first brands are NH, Deere, and Kubota, with Kioti/bobcat playing "hyundai" to them (per a kioti post, meaning hovering outside, but could break in). Not really sure about Massey Ferguson - I don't know enough about the brand, but the brand name is ancient (and this is SCUT/CUT discussion)

Generally the well known top brands will have easier support, and much higher resale value. As the companies are orders of magnitude bigger, they have more money for engineering, etc. They will also charge you more. Many people here have been happy with chinese/indian tractors. I don't think I'm mechanically handy enough myself. (Though any tractor ownership seems to require turning a few wrenches)

/ The adventures of a Newbie shopping for a tractor. #26  
Too bad John Deere doesn't make the 790 or 990's anymore. They were great smaller tractors with geared transmissions and 4wd for a great price. Perfect for smaller properties, but heavy enough (990) for some loader work (round bales). If you could find a leftover model at a dealership or nice used one they should be at a good price.

/ The adventures of a Newbie shopping for a tractor.
Called 2 places today and they gave me some numbers:

Kioti CK35 - $14,000...
Branson - 3510i - $19,900... I tried not to laugh out loud. Bills Tractor quoted me $16,500

-------
Montana 3040 - $14,381
Montana 4344 - $16,048
NH 1520 - $16,900
---------------------

After reading up on Montana and dealers dropping like flies, I don't think I am going to pursue them at all. Though, am I missunderstanding the whole deal... did Montana buy Branson or did Branson buy Montana. What would this do to Branson? I liked the 3510i at Bills but don't want to get into a company that might not be there next year.

Does that last statement tie me to the "big 3?" If so I may as well stop looking at new machines. :-(

/ The adventures of a Newbie shopping for a tractor. #28  
The Branson and Zetor brand Century have a Cummins A engine.
I suggest a 4wd tractor with a loader about 45-50 hp no HST to keep the price down and for added weight.

/ The adventures of a Newbie shopping for a tractor. #30  
like i said take those away and you might as well forget the tractor.

I don't know anything about tractors I've operated 3 in my life including the one I bought about a month ago.

I have a "12 speed" syncro-shuttle I can change directions at low speed without the clutch. When I put it in Turtle 1 I know how fast I will go, same for Snail and Rabbit.

Seems like if I had HST I would be constantly fiddling with the speed and that would require way too much thinking.