The damsel went shopping over the weekend!

/ The damsel went shopping over the weekend! #1  

bunny

I'm back from my glorious weekend in Vermont. You guys were right-I sat on a few tractors. There are only 2 local options available to me--JD or NH. I am now torn between a New Holland TC30 (30 hp)(HST) with a Woods 6' rear mower and a Woods 5' brush hog for $16,500 or a JD4310 (32 hp) with a 6' JD MMM and a 5' JD brush hog for $22,500. I have Totally eliminated the little Kubota that I was considering. Too little to mow 5 acres and brush hog 10+ acres. The JD salesman said a MMM would give a better cut, while the NH salesman said that the rear mower would give a better cut. Remember, I have a Craftsman sit down mower to go in between my trees, and do the small stuff. Any feedback? Is woods ok for attachments? Would the 2 extra hp be worth anything? If $$ were no factor, I liked the feel of the JD--it looked much more solidly built. I could afford it--but do I need it? What do you experts have to say?

/ The damsel went shopping over the weekend! #2  
Well, even though you say $$ is not a factor, for $6,000 of them I think I'd make them a factor!/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

If both machines fit your needs, and there's little difference in how one feels compared to the other (although you did mention that the JD felt a little more comfortable), then it seems that it could boil down to the dealer. Do you like one better than the other? If you have the same comfort level with either dealer, save yourself the $6K to buy other attachments and goodies for your new TC30!! /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

I noticed you didn't mention getting a FEL. Did you decide you didn't need one, or just forget to mention it? Because if you decided you didn't need one, I'd use part of the $6K your saving and apply it toward getting a FEL, IMHO. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ The damsel went shopping over the weekend! #3  
<font color=blue>Well, even though you say $$ is not a factor, for $6,000 of them I think I'd make them a factor!</font color=blue>

Well put Golfgar. When I was shopping for my tractor, I ended up with the New Holland over the Deere for three reasons.

1. The New Holland dealership treated me well.
2. Unknown delivery date of JD 4010 (new 18HP model)
3. $2,000 + price difference. Local JD dealer gave no discount off list price

If the JD salesman wasn't such a jerk & the prices weren't so far apart, I would have bought the green machine. I am very happy with the New Holland so far (30 hours)

By the way, you aren't really comparing apples to apples. The TC30 is supposed to be an economy tractor. The TC33D would be a direct comparison to the JD 4310. Have your New Holland dealer quote a TC33D & you'll have a better picture of the premium you are paying for the deere.

If you are going to keep the lawn tractor for the trim work, get the RFM. They cut as well as a MMM and will save you some money. They are also much easier to take on & off.

Lastly, get the FEL.

/ The damsel went shopping over the weekend!
I have no use for a FEL. I know that everone pushes getting a FEL, but I could always add one on later, so what's the big deal? I really just need to mow and brush hog...and that's about it. Woods is an ok brand for a mower and brush hog, right? And how do I find out what the list price is? Thanks so much-you've been quite helpful.

just one more question...Is there much of a diff between a 30 hp that the NH salesman is pushing vs. the 32 hp that the JD salesman is pushing? I'll be mowing (6') and brush hogging(5') only on a very gentle slope. The JD guy said I'd be crazy to consider less than 32hp. Am I crazy?

/ The damsel went shopping over the weekend! #6  
If you are not going to get a HST then you might also want to get a quote on the JD 790 (30HP) or JD990 (40HP). These are the "price fighter" models from Deere. The 790 should be very comparable to the NH TC30. Is the TC30 compatible with the 72" mid mower? Either of the Deere models will run a 72" rear mount mower, but not a 72" mid mower. The 790 is available with a 60" mid mower. Hope this helps.

/ The damsel went shopping over the weekend! #7  
Woods is a very well known brand. I don't have any list pricing, but it should be comprable to land pride. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dot.state.mn.us/equipment/contracts/tractor_attach/index.html>click here for some implement list prices</A>

Another brand to consider is First Choice <A target="_blank" HREF=http://home.midwest.net/~jimmc/index.html> click here </A> They are supposed to offer Woods / Landpride quality at a discounted price. Lots of posts regarding the company in the attachments discussions.

Regarding 30 vs 32 HP. Besides the obvious "2HP" answer, on paper the Deere is a more capable machine.

500# heavier,
600# more three point capacity
More Hydraulic GPM & pressure

Both tractors will accomplish the mowing tasks you ask of them. With the better specs, the deere in theory is better suited to heavy duty work such as a FEL or a backhoe. If you were a commercial user (landscaper etc.) I'd say go for the heavier machine. As a homeowner. You will be well within the capabilities of the lighter unit (and $6K less poor to boot)

/ The damsel went shopping over the weekend! #8  
<font color=blue>Woods is an ok brand for a mower and brush hog, right?</font color=blue>

I would say Woods is one of the best brands. I would rate it just as high as JD's implements, higher than JD's 513 rotary cutter.

If you think you might ever get a FEL, I would ask the dealer if it would save some $$ to have the hydraulics added now. Seems I've heard that it is cheaper to get them now than later.

--Brad

/ The damsel went shopping over the weekend! #9  
I can't believe you're asking specific questions of this crowd and expecting specific answers in return! Didn't you figure us out the first time around!?! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Pete

Both machines are HST. what do you think?