JD 4300, good deal?

/ JD 4300, good deal? #1  

wmiller

Tractor
Kubota L3010 HST
I wrote last Saturday about how I am struggling with finding the right tractor. Thanks to help from many of you I have been able to narrow my search. I wasn't looking for a JD but I found what I think is a good deal.
I found a 2000 JD 4300 with a FEL, MMM, and a box scraper with only 92 hrs, all for $17,500. It is in great shape.
I only have a few concerns. It has R4 tires. This concerns me because I will have about 3-5 acres to mow next year, but by the sounds of things any kind of tire may mark your lawn. Secondly the knob that you pull up to engage the mid PTO was very tight and at times wouldn't come up when pulled on. Lastly the reverse pedal seemed stiff when I pressed on it with my foot. I will want to buy this with the understanding that I can take it to a JD dealer and have him go over it with a fine toothed comb, so the second 2 concerns aren't that big of a deal, but what about the R4's?
Bill

/ JD 4300, good deal? #2  
I mow with the R-4s on my 4300. If the ground is relatively dry it does not mark the lawn at all. Be sure to remove the FEL when mowing to lighten up the tractor. Good luck./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ JD 4300, good deal? #3  
I have R4's on my 4400 and as long as I remember to get out of 4WD they don't hurt the lawn. A stiff reverse pedal on JD hydro's is the norm. Regarding the PTO lever, mine sometimes is a little tight but a good pull always works for me. I would have it check by the local dealer plus review the service record on it. I love my 4400, 350 hrs. and the only problem was a bad bearing seal on one of the front wheels. Good luck.

/ JD 4300, good deal? #4  
Bill -- I have aggies on my L3010 and do my finish mowing with minimal scuffing. Those R4s won't be a problem.

Pete

/ JD 4300, good deal? #5  
I've only been mowing for a few months with R-4's on my 4300 and they are fine. Like others have said, just take it out of 4wd. I probably wouldn't use R-4's on a golf course, but for a lawn, they are fine.

Sounds like you've found yourself a pretty darn good deal too. You're price is $5000-$5500 off a good new price. That's not a bad savings for only 92 hours of use.

/ JD 4300, good deal? #6  
I just finished mowing a new lawn with R4s on a 4300 and I was worried about the damage I might do. All went well but do keep your turns wide and as said before take it out of 4wheel.