Tractor Pull!!

/ Tractor Pull!! #31  
If the neighbor KNOWS about pulling you might not want to get into this.
e.g. if he is a guy that "does pulls".

4WD doesn't help, I don't know why that was mentioned.
If he is set up right he will be on the rears only with the fronts about 6 inches off the ground, his drawbar will just about be touching the ground at that point.

Again, it might be a lot more about what each of you KNOW than what each of you DRIVE.

Kinda like Tiger could do better with my clubs than I could do with his (MUCH BETTER) clubs.

/ Tractor Pull!! #32  
The only tractor pulling I do is when one gets stuck in the mud and I have to pull it out. That used to happen frequently when all we had were 2wd tractors. I used to use my second largest tractor for risky operations, always holding the largest one in reserve for when I had to pull it out. That is the price one pays on a mucky bottomland farm like mine in order to get your spring planting done. I aint done no pulling at all since getting a 4wd tractor 4 years ago.

OMG it looks like an opening and we are getting ready to go again!!!:D

/ Tractor Pull!! #33  
OMG it looks like an opening and we are getting ready to go again!!!:D

4wds don't prevent you from getting stuck. That notion is a laugher. They tend to get you stuck WORSE in WORSE places. BTDT, still use my 2wds anywhere I feel the need to and don't get 'em stuck.

Farmwithjunk, who owns five 2wds, and five mfwds.

/ Tractor Pull!! #34  
As mentioned 4 wheel drive does not keep you from getting stuck but it will take you many places 2 wheel drive can not. The problem is if and when you do get stuck it is that much more difficult to get it un stuck.

Chris

/ Tractor Pull!! #35  
As mentioned 4 wheel drive does not keep you from getting stuck but it will take you many places 2 wheel drive can not. The problem is if and when you do get stuck it is that much more difficult to get it un stuck.

Chris

Just to add...if you are going into a bad area, it is best to go in with 2 wheel drive, then use 4 wheel drive to get out if needed.

/ Tractor Pull!! #36  
4wd actually has prevented me from getting stuck (100% effective for 4 years). I used to get stuck a couple times a season trying to get my tillage done in time for spring planting. You southern folks dont have too worry about it, but up north we got to get our planting done early or we dont get mature crops because of early frosts. It is not a good idea to get into the fields too early but many times 90% of a particular field is plenty dry but the other 10% will do in a 2wd tractor. I wish I wouldnt have listened to that tired old line about 4wd just getting you stuck worse as long as I did. I probably could have gotten my planting done a month earlier for a lot of years if I hadn't. I actually did loose traction in a mud hole one time with my 4wd while discing this spring. That didnt cause me any trouble because I leave the loader on and downsize the disc a bit when getting stuck is a risk. That way, I can simply drag myself out of the mud with the loader when I loose traction. That sure beats leaving your biggest 2wd tractor in the barn so you can pull out the smaller one when you get it stuck. Having that loader on dont hurt you with 4wd but is about the dumbest thing you can do with a 2wd because of all the fuel you waste pushing that dead, weighted-down front axle. Stick with your old 2wd's if you want to but trust me, you dont know what you are missing. I still have a few old 2wd tractors but they are pretty much reserved for summer use when all the spring mud holes are dried up completely, or winter when the ground is good and frozen. Give me my 4wd for the other 8 months of the year.

/ Tractor Pull!! #37  
I've been stuck several times, 4X4 and 2 wheel drive, if you are stuck with a farm tractor the damage you did to the field is far more important than the tractor being stuck. 4X4 is quite important for farm type work but not so for pulling, where the rears are your bread and butter. I never really did any pulling but 4X4 does help with not getting stuck, its just like anything, in the right hands it is very handy, but if the 4X4 is not conected to a brain it helps you get stuck worse, so I guess you are both right. I always liked the tractor pulls where all these souped up pulling tractors huff and puff to pull a sled a couple hundred feet and then a farm tractor hooks on and pulls it back, all in a days work. HEE HEE!!!

/ Tractor Pull!! #38  
I discovered the best tractor in a wet area is a great big one ... pulling a tile plow. ;)