Bobcat 610

/ Bobcat 610 #1  

Curlymo

I'm looking at buying a Bobcat 610 , 1977 , V4 .One of the steering levers needs more pressure to activate than the other . Should I be concerned about this or is it just an adjustment to fix . What else should I look for that could cause trouble on this machine ?

/ Bobcat 610 #2  
610 drive clutches are easy and inexpensive to work on. It probably just needs adjustment. Again, very easy. Get a manual and you should be on your way. 610 Bobcats were tough machines.

OrangeGuy

/ Bobcat 610 #3  
Should be pretty simple, chain drive with a clutch. I bought my 600 for 1200 needing some engine repairs. I have replaced the wheel bearing seals and added a new belt but it runs good. The belt ( 80 dollars ) is expensive but far cheaper than a hydro drive repair. For a small machine they work well.

/ Bobcat 610 #4  
I just bought a 610 and need to pull the engine oil pan to clean it out. Just wondering if You have any tips on what needs to be removed to get the wisconsin v-4 out:confused:

/ Bobcat 610 #5  
VH4D Wis engine is pretty easy to remove. Run variable speed belt to fast position before beginning to remove. Shut off engine. Place a small 2 x 4 between sheaves of front varible speed pulley to hold open/separated. Let hydraulic pressure off on variable speed lever. Take rear red weight off. Remove filler plate under the weight. Disconnnect hydraulic lines from the pump (back of engine near distributor). Disassemble varible speed pulley on engine. Remove inside half of variable speed pulley (half on engine) by removing a 3/8" bolt in the end of the crankshaft and then put a pry bar behind the pulley and gentlely pry off while tapping the end of the crankshaft with a blunt 1"round shaft 18" long or something similar. Inside pulley half is on a tapered crankshaft end. Remove 4 mounting bolts under the engine and disconnect all electric wires, throttle rod, choke cable, etc. Remove motor with an auto engine cherry picker or slide out onto a table at engine height. Reverse procedure to put it back in.

Good Luck.

OrangeGuy

/ Bobcat 610 #6  
I just bought a melroe wisconsin 610, used, from a private sale, don't know the year. The first half an hour runs good, but then it starts losing power and starts bucking. Thinking if I should replace engine or is there something that I should consider checking first.
Does anyone know if I do replace the engine, if I could put a different make engine.
Where do I buy a new engine?
Any information would help.

Thanks!

/ Bobcat 610 #7  
First thing I'd start with is the Bobcat forum and also with the Bobcat dealer. I recently purchased a 741B and had it gone over at the dealer for about $300. Might be money well worth spent. When you say that it loses power are you talking about the engine bogging down or that you lose forward and reverse movement?

/ Bobcat 610 #8  
VH4D Wis engine is pretty easy to remove. Run variable speed belt to fast position before beginning to remove. Shut off engine.

What do I do if the engine blew when the variable speed was set to the slowest speed (pulley opened wide so the belt is at the smallest radius)?

I got the snap ring out but now the outer pulley refuses to budge.

- Bob

/ Bobcat 610 #9  
I just bought a melroe wisconsin 610, used, from a private sale, don't know the year. The first half an hour runs good, but then it starts losing power and starts bucking. Thinking if I should replace engine or is there something that I should consider checking first.
Does anyone know if I do replace the engine, if I could put a different make engine.
Where do I buy a new engine?
Any information would help.

Thanks!
IT IS THE FUEL PUMP. INEXPENSIVE FIX, WHEN THE ENGINE GETS WARM IT JUST WONT RUN WITHOUT FULL FUEL PRESSURE. i BET WHEN IT COOLS DOWN FOR 10 MIN. IT WORKS FINE AGAIN UNTIL IT WARMS UP.
scottyb