Justify

/ Justify #11  
Yep....I believe this method works all the time Soundguy /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Always a sure winner.

/ Justify #12  
Here is some justification for you on my latest project:

Pole Barn

$2000 - 1 acre hardwood clearing
$1200 - 1 acre movement of soil - burn ban, barn site prep
$250 - movement of soil back, area on slope, pick new site
$700 - Fill dirt and bobcat rental, final site prep
$500 - Seed and fertilizer
------ unknown costs, neighboor help, and hourly work -------
1 day on Massy - rake, and spread
5 weeks of firewood cutting and splitting
3 days of stacking split wood
2 days moving wood to pile left
1 day final grading

And this is just the ONE project..... I'd figure half those costs
can be your justification.... I still have mowing, mulching, hay bales to be moved, fence posts, fencing, trail maintenance....... etc. etc. etc.

How is that for some justifcation.... your cost may vary
/w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif
-Mike Z.

/ Justify #13  
<font color=blue>"As far as size is concerned, the BX22 will be a good match for the 5 acres once all the major work is done. When you have your cabin/house built. Have the excavators do the heavy work for you."</font color=blue>

That's the classic problem I'm facing right now. I've got a Deere 4200 (still small, but substantially larger than the BX-2200) and am in the early stages of working on a property. Right now it's WAY too small for a lot of the things that need to be done. To give you an idea, I have to hire a D4 Cat dozer in for some work.

Anyhow, I'm sure once I get everything done my tractor will be fine. It sounds like you're in the same position and I can certainly empathize. It really pains my to spend $1,000 to hire something done after I spent so much on a tractor. I can't help but think I could spend that money on another implement or something.

Truth be told, with enough time and effort you could get yours done with your tractor just like I could get mine done with my tractor. The difference for me is I can get the dozer in and get all my dirt moved and a treeline cleared in a weekend or I can spend every evening and weekend until the snows come doing the same thing overworking me and my tractor (and probably shortening the lifespan of each /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif ).

/ Justify #14  
Tawoo,

I also have 5 acres and had a real challenge convincing the CFO that a tractor was required. It only took me about a year and a half. My wife loves landscaping (as long as she's not the one weilding the shovel). She has all sorts of ideas about where this and that should go, etc...

One of her flaws, however, is that she is somewhat impatient. She wants whatever project I'm working on done yesterday. So while I convinced her that the tractor would save my body countless aches and pains and make my life much easier my ***** card seemed to be using the fact that I could finish all of these tasks much FASTER. Good luck.

You definitely need a tractor./w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Justify
Wow Riptides, quite an eye opener. I'm sure I'll have the same costs in the future. Actually they started. I have a guy lined up to remove the stumps and put gravel and crushed stone for the road. Way too large a job for a compact tractor. The price he estimated will be $3000.00. Then, I'll be able to put my camper on the property as I work installing the utilities.

/ Justify #16  
Tawoo,

I would have to agree with Gary about having some big equipment come in to do the major dirt work. I did that for my original clearing for the house and it was perfect. The excavator could push over the trees, then hold them up to cut off the stumps and branches, and then put the tree into one pile while putting the stumps into the fire. The Cat then set the grade.

I think my total bill for clearing/grading was approximately 5,000 but the lumber sales paid for all of that.

I think your decision on the BX22 will be perfect for anything you'll need to do after that.

/ Justify #17  
Tawoo - Just tell her that a tractor will mean a lot less work for you (both time and sweat). Consequently, you will be able to spend more time with her. Of course, we all know it will just mean more "play" time on the tractor...but don't share that with her.

Seriously, we purchased 8 acres a while back and I tried to do everything by hand...until I had blisters all over my hands after using a sickle bar all day. After that my wife agreed we needed a tractor so I started small and bought an old Ford 2N. As time passed, I convinced my wife that I needed an upgrade to get more work done. Now I am "stuck" with a TC29D and happy as can be.

Good luck with the wife.

/ Justify
I agree and thanks for your input. I didn't even think of selling the trees but after harvesting five beautiful Cherries and a couple Yellow Birch I made almost $1000 at the lumber mill. A nice surprise.

/ Justify
"...going to move the rocks he's standing beside". Er, that's not me that's the wife.

/ Justify #20  
Tawoo,
If you talk about it long enough, read the brochures in bed at night, and !@#$% about your back aching, etc... she'll eventually get sick of hearing about it and come around. Mine did! I actually think my wife likes me out of the house and on my B7500 Kubota. I know my attitude turned 180 degrees when I ordered it... and I think hers did too! Since I got it, I think we're all happy!