Kubota or John Deere?

/ Kubota or John Deere? #11  
Robert,

My intentions were not to argue the point, just to ask the question.

With Kubotas being made in Japan and all earlier John Deeres being made here it is easy for dumb folks like me to assume that the history of Deeres goes back further than Kubota. That very well may not be the case. I can remember seeing John Deeres when I was not old enough to climb on a tractor but can remember not so many years ago seeing my first Kubota.

Like Toyotas I thought they wouldn't be around very long and sure never thought I'd own one (Kubota). Lesson here: Never take a stock tip from me!/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

<font color=blue>"but it sounds like you probably know more than I do... '</font color=blue>

Sounds can be deceiving.

TBone

/ Kubota or John Deere? #12  
<font color=orange>"Kubota has been in the compact utility tractor business longer than Deere.</font color=orange>

Yeah, I kinda figured that.

TBone

/ Kubota or John Deere? #13  
TBone,
I understand you weren't arguing the point. I agree whole heartedly with your statements... especially with how long we've seen Kubotas around here stateside. I would, however, bet you Do know more than me on this history thing. I only know what I posted...I need it to support my Kubota purchase when I get into that inevitable argument with my wifes uncle, who thinks anything but John Deere stink... and Kawasaki's don't grow in JD garden tractors, either! He refuses to believe John Deere would put Kawasaki engines in their lawn & garden line... and Yanmar is not foreign made. Larger John Deere tractors made in Japan are okay 'cause they're green 'en yella', but Kubota tractors under 20hp (less engines) made in the southern US of A, along with Kubota loaders, mowers, etc... is pure !@#$%^&. Go figure.
Hey, TBone... I got a B7500. Worked hard for it. I make the payments. I use it. I take care of it. I love it. 'Aint that the way it should be?

/ Kubota or John Deere? #14  
Tbone:

Just FYI the Kubota compacts are built in Georgia. I'm not sure about the larger ones, but the compacts are built here. The engine and trans is imported from Japan, but so is JD's Yanmar engine.

I have a BX22 and the build quality is excellent. A lot of nice detail touches as well as the attention to the heavy and robust frames, mounts, etc. I looked fairly at JD for a similar tractor and found that a backhoe was not available for their compact "10 series (without getting quite big). If I picked a comp. size and added the expected price for a "To be available in the future backhoe" (est. at about $ 5K), the comparably equipped JD was $ 10K more, for no more tractor. Even the JD salesman had a list of Kubota "problems" from a recent JD sales get-together. The faults he sited with Orange were all minor ergonomic like the location of the fuel cap, the seat belt ratchet, the height of the FEL joystick and the single lever hydroststic pedal on Orange. I left with the feeling that if that was all they had to attack, Orange must be pretty good.

I vote <font color=orange> orange</font color=orange>.

paul

/ Kubota or John Deere? #16  
As it appears that you will be using the tractor in a commercial business, I suggest that the color is not important. Rather, the key question is which dealer will be available late hours for you to pick up parts (due to a breakdown during the day) and/or has mechanics available to make repairs after hours. There are power equipment dealers that "specialize" in supporting commercial customers. This type of dealer might be a better choice than a "regular" farm equipment dealer. Best of luck. Ron in Central New York

/ Kubota or John Deere? #17  
Robert,

I know exactly what you are talking about. It's kinda bad when you feel like you have to justify spending your own money. I, myself, believe in buying US made products but when it comes to mid sized tractors like I use there just arn't any.

I figure if I am going to have to buy foreign I'd might as well get the most I can for my money and that for me was Kubota.

Like you I worked hard for it , paid for it myself, use it, take care of it and love it. That's definitely the way it should be.

Paul,

I had no idea that the small Kubotas were made in Georgia. It's amazing how much you learn on TBN.

TBone

/ Kubota or John Deere? #18  
I think the more appropriate word , here, would be "assembled" not made. I'm sure all the high value added components come from the Land of the Rising Sun.

/ Kubota or John Deere? #19  
Ron NY,
How true! Blew a hydraulic hose on my Kubota B7500 last Saturday @ 8.3 hours on the meter. Looked at my watch... 2:05pm... my dealer closed a 2:00. Do you think anyone would answer the phone? Had to go to my dealers competitor, who was open until 4:30pm, where they made me a replacement hose. I told my dealer about it, and he agreed to reimburse me, or make me another hose. I do have to say I've had thoughts about if I made the right choice buying from my dealer because of this very reason, but over $1,800 difference in cost on my initial purchase certainly pushed me to buy where I did. Then again, if I were a business that depended upon the equipment to turn a buck, $1,800 more might not be a huge deal on Saturday when Granny Girdlegate demands her spirea be planted and her berm sodded!
Anybody ever experience a bad hydraulic hose from the factory? Mine blew right at the crimp in the coupling.

/ Kubota or John Deere? #20  
Probably just a fluke.........a friday afternoon hose that didn't quite get seated in the joint, by the operator thinking about partying, before the crimp was made.