Kubota or John Deere?

/ Kubota or John Deere? #1  

HazellLawnCare

Ok you all talked me out of the L3000 Kubota would you go orange or green? They are the only two suppliers in my town and I refuse to by out of town. I will be using the tractor and loader for yard installs, landscaping, and snow removal.

/ Kubota or John Deere? #2  
HLC,

I personally own Blue, but was close to buying Orange. I would say go with the Orange. Seems to me that you get more tractor for your money compared to Green. Of course, I am speaking in generalities here. Did you get good service from your L3000? History is a good teacher.

/ Kubota or John Deere? #3  
I went with Kubota because it seemed that feature for feature they were a better value. Also I have a Kubota lawn mower that I have abused for over 10 years and it is still running so I am hopeful that with some beter care the tractor will last me until I have no need for one.

GS

/ Kubota or John Deere? #4  
I have a Deere with which I am very happy. I looked at Kubota and feel they make a fine machine. I'm a little taller than most people so I literally tried them on like someone might a pair of shoes.

I wanted HST and Deere's HST system was far more comfortable for me to operate than Kubota's. I'm not saying you ought to buy one based on my experience, but rather that you ought to operate each one you're considering to avoid a problem.

As much as I like Kubota, I know if I'd bought one I'd be extremely unhappy with it now. Again, not because of any flaws, but rather the way it fits me. To be fair, the Kubota control for the FEL was more comfortable, but I could easily modify Deere's to work for me with equal ease. I couldn't modify the HST floor control on the Kubota. Again, I'm not saying it couldn't be done, only that it was out of my comfort level.

Make sure you've spent some time in the seat of whatever you're considering. You're probably going to have it for a long, long time whichever color you pick.

/ Kubota or John Deere? #5  
When I was shopping for our tractor, I liked some things about both the Deere and the Kubota. The two big reasons I bought the Deere was I just felt more comfortable on it. The Deere dealer also had a much better service department and again I just felt more comfortable with them. I could have bought my tractor from another Deere dealer and saved a couple of hundred dollars but I just was not that impressed with their service department.

Bottom line is that you have to drive, work and talk to find the right color and dealer for you. Take your time it will all pay off in the end

/ Kubota or John Deere? #6  
I spent 2 years reaserching (and saving) tractors of most brands. Wound up with a Kubota b7500hst. I did like the deere but like everybody else, it came down to the dealer - Kubota, hands down in my area.

/ Kubota or John Deere? #7  
HLC,
Couldn't agree more with the posts so far. I researched till I was orange in the face. I had and have a lot of family and friends that are strictly John Deere, so I naturally gravitated that way, too. But, I actually bought a Kubota B7500, and now I know I couldn't be happier (not because I was disowned). I couldn't find a Deere 4010 or a 4115 to try out before I bought mine... and actually wondered if I was making a mistake when I ordered orange, but with the popularity of Kubota in my area, I felt I couldn't be far off. I have a landscaper friend who runs alot of orange, and I felt that if they depend on it over JD, it must be a good machine.
I finally found a 4115 after my B7500 purchase, and as I wrote on a past recent post, I feel the JD couldn't compare to the Kubota in terms of fit, finish, durability, or price. That is my opinion. Kubota's are simple and made to last a lifetime. There are no pretty orange throttle levers controlling cables, or cigarette lighter plugs for cell phones (JD X595 Garden tractors), or electronic switches to get wet or short out over time on the Kubota. It is all controlled by mechanical linkage - simple, but functional.
I actually have five John Deere dealers "locally", of which three outright told me that JD builds compact and garden tractors to feel good to the user... appearance and ergonomics. "Built for the residential user" they'd say. Certainly, they were not saying JD sacrifices quality, but they do focus more on the user's comfort. These same dealers also said that Kubota builds a fine tractor, simple, tough, and built for longevity, but not as comfortable. One dealer sells orange and green (what a job, eh?) and will plainly tell you Kubota builds a better compact tractor, and outsells Deere at least 2-3:1. Garden tractors are a different story.
I looked at the history of Kubota (in business longer than Deere), their frame construction, the heavy duty front axles (4WD), reputation on engines, etc... and that is why I went Kubota. JD brags on parts availability, but I know several Kubota owners who also have parts in a couple of days. I also figured that the $3,000 more for the JD was too much for a mere comfortable seat... I can buy a new one for barely a $100.
Bottom line... try them out. Who will give you better service, especially on Saturday at 2:00 when you blow a hydraulic hose? Who has the better reputation in your area. Any local users you can stop and talk with on their models, or their experiences with their particular brand, or dealer experiences?Go back and operate the models again. Wait a few days and do it again.... if you have the time. If it feels good, do it! The $ in your pocket may smolder a little longer as you make your educated decision, but it won't burn a hole your jeans. I am certain that if I had a JD 4115 in my barn, I'd be happy, too. JD builds a great machine. They have stood the test of time, and obviously are one of the top in the market for a reason. Either way (Kubota or John Deere), you can't go wrong. I'm sure on this site, you can find one happy JD owner for every happy Kubota owner.

/ Kubota or John Deere? #8  
I tend to believe that <font color=orange>orange</font color=orange> is the better bang for the buck too but did you really mean to say this:

<font color=blue>"I looked at the history of Kubota (in business longer than Deere),"</font color=blue>

TBone

/ Kubota or John Deere? #9  
Kubota has been in the <font color=orange>compact utility</font color=orange> tractor business longer than Deere.

/ Kubota or John Deere? #10  
TBone,
To my knowledge, you are correct in posing the question. I understand Kubota has been manufacturing engines since roughly 1890. I do not believe John Deere incorporated engines in their business until 1911. That is what I thought, but it sounds like you probably know more than I do... I'm not really a tractor history buff. Anyway, I do agree John Deere started making plows in a blacksmith shop in 1837, but their first incorporation of engines was around 1911. Please straighten my facts out. I certainly do not want to get in a discussion with my father-in-law (JD lover) and not have my facts straight! When I mentioned Kubota's history, I merely was looking at their engine expertise. Thanks for the awakening.