First time poster-long time reader-I need a new Tractor

/ First time poster-long time reader-I need a new Tractor #1  

kybadcat36

First of all everyone on here is great. The knowledge of tractors and attachments is outstanding. First of all I have never owned a tractor and have only operated one sparingly at work. We have a John Deere at work with a FEL and I use the loader sparingly. I bought a 41 acre farm. Has a 11 acre field in hay and 31 acres of woods. I have had the woods logged and has 2 nice logging roads. The terrain is flat. I need a a tractor to do some light bushhogging to maintain the logging roads and field edges. I want to plant deer food plots. We are building a home and would like to be able to do the yard work myself when house is completed--leveling and planting grass.

What would be a good tractor for a newbie? Something reliable and easy to work on when needed.
I would like a front end loader, bush hog, and rear tiller? Do I need all three or other attachment? Disk or plow instead of tiller?
Anything else I need to consider?????
I live In Central City Ky about 2 hours southwest of Louisville.

/ First time poster-long time reader-I need a new Tractor #2  
Re: First time poster-long time reader-I need a New Tractor

Thanks and welcome to TBN! First off, what will you use the tractor for?

/ First time poster-long time reader-I need a new Tractor #3  

Glad to have you join us.

/ First time poster-long time reader-I need a new Tractor #4  

First of all everyone on here is great. The knowledge of tractors and attachments is outstanding.

Good Afternoon kybadcat36,
Welcome to TBN ! :) Lots of great folks on here that can help you out !

Give us some particulars on your property, location and tasks that the tractor will be doing, and we will try to help ! :)

/ First time poster-long time reader-I need a new Tractor
1) Will need to use to move dirt around the house when completed.
2) Will plant food plots for deer-need to plant and cut
3) Maintain hay field. Will need to reseed. Square bales
4) Keep up logging roads.
5) Will be doing some bush hogging around field edges
6) Will need to move gravel and grade driveway
7) Need a good all aound tractor

The terrain is flat with 11 acres of fields and 30 acres of woods
Live in Central City Ky
Sure when I get a tractor I will find many many more uses

Last edited:
   / First time poster-long time reader-I need a new Tractor #6  
First of all everyone on here is great. The knowledge of tractors and attachments is outstanding. First of all I have never owned a tractor and have only operated one sparingly at work. We have a John Deere at work with a FEL and I use the loader sparingly. I bought a 41 acre farm. Has a 11 acre field in hay and 31 acres of woods. I have had the woods logged and has 2 nice logging roads. The terrain is flat. I need a a tractor to do some light bushhogging to maintain the logging roads and field edges. I want to plant deer food plots. We are building a home and would like to be able to do the yard work myself when house is completed--leveling and planting grass.

What would be a good tractor for a newbie? Something reliable and easy to work on when needed.
I would like a front end loader, bush hog, and rear tiller? Do I need all three or other attachment? Disk or plow instead of tiller?
Anything else I need to consider?????
I live In Central City Ky about 2 hours southwest of Louisville.

You didn't mention your budget limit, but assuming you could go up to $20K, I'd say get a CUT in the 30-40 hp (engine) range with hydrostatic tranny, 4WD, power steering, FEL with 5-ft wide bucket, 5-ft wide bush hog, a 5-ft rototiller for your landscaping work, and a 5-6-ft tandem disc and a broadcast spreader for your food plot.

All of the tractor manufacturers have models with these features. Start with your neighborhood tractor dealers and test drive a bunch of candidate tractors before signing the papers.

/ First time poster-long time reader-I need a new Tractor
My price range is $25,000 or less.

/ First time poster-long time reader-I need a new Tractor #8  
How about a good used 2WD 45-60 HP MF -Ford -JD- Case IH with a loader then you can get all the implements you will need for under budget.

/ First time poster-long time reader-I need a new Tractor #9  
If you have a Mahindra dealer near by, climb on a Mahindra 4035 and see how it would fit your needs. It is still in the compact range, but will do all of what you mentioned, and then some, including square baling. Good luck with your shopping.