What is the general opinion on Kioti?

/ What is the general opinion on Kioti? #31  
:) Gosh< I just love my Kioti DK40SE.......looked at several major makes but the Kioti really "fit" me well....and still does. I smile everytime I start it up....does a superb job for me...great fit and finish...smooth power....use for around the farm chores...."bush hogging"....snow removal....tree limb clean-up (added a grapple attachment...quick attach...love it)....dirt moving ...etc.. ....I really like the quick attack system for changing out bucket to grapple,,,so convenient....good luck....THUMBS UP from me

Sounds good :)

Prior to my current purchase, I gave a look at Kioti over the internet. They seem to have some nice features. But the only nearby dealer is a small outfit 50 miles away and probably didn't have the large model (85-90 hp) I wanted. The dealer also didn't look like someone I could count on being there in ten years or so.

I think that's one of the drawbacks to Kioti, a thin dealer network with a weaker history than the major tractor companies. I have a half dozen Kubota dealers closer than that one Kioti dealer, most with long term histories. To some extent, it's a "chicken and egg" situation.

Ken

/ What is the general opinion on Kioti? #32  
I think that's one of the drawbacks to Kioti, a thin dealer network with a weaker history than the major tractor companies.

No doubt that is their Achille's Heel. My first dealer (local) went belly up after a couple of years. Decent but not great support. I then bought my second Kioti from a dealer 300 miles away. Great support by phone and UPS. I might be reluctant to rely on that if I was running a big Ag machine on a farm but the arrangement works very well for someone using it for general property maintenance who doesn't expect the dealer to get involved in oil changes and minor maintenance. With the money I saved (compared to an equivalent Kubota or JD), I could afford an annual home service by the dealer for the next 5-10 years anyway.

Kioti is the Hyundai of the tractor world. Unheard of 10 years ago, suspicious for the next 5 years and then they just took off when buyers realized they were producing excellent quality tractors that are great values.

/ What is the general opinion on Kioti? #33  
No doubt that is their Achille's Heel. My first dealer (local) went belly up after a couple of years.

I think Kioti was in a "catch-22" situation. If they required a new dealer to actually stock a large inventory, have a few factory trained techs and stock more than minimal parts, they'd likely not have many takers to be dealers. Lowering their requirements to get a franchise got them pegged as "one of them roadside gravel lot yard barn type" of tractors. I know for a fact that they would have been better off not granting franchises to the now gone dealers in my area. The dealers sold yard ornaments, assorted craft show stuff and Kioti tractors. When they all went under in a few years it gave Kioti a pretty low reputation and the few who bought them couldn't get them worked on and had little success selling their used tractors.

No insult intended to the little dealers, but I think Kioti would be much further along (at least in my part of the country) if they'd kept higher requirements to get a franchise with them. There is only one Kioti dealer left even remotely close to me and he doesn't seem to care if he sells one. I've posted before where I went to look at a DK65 several years ago and he tried to move me to a Branson tractor. So, the only dealer close isn't doing Kioti any favors.

I do agree with the Hyundai/Kia comparison though. They came in with a marginal product and sold on price. Rather promptly they addressed the quality issues and became one of the best kept secrets, so to speak, for a bargain unit. They are just now starting to move up to compete head to head with Mazda, Toyota, Suzuki, Subaru etc., but they are also beginning to match them in price as well. I know it's regional, but when I bought my last new tractor, Kioti wasn't any less expensive than Kubota. And, knowing that I trade frequently, I knew I couldn't take the trade in beating. The days of buying a new Harley, new JD and new Kubota, using them for 2 or 3 years and then selling them for a profit seem to be over though. Bummer. I have to say that I enjoyed buying a new product, using it for a few years, and then selling it for more than I paid for it. :) I think that was when the price of new ones were raising so fast due to demand that used ones at nearly any price seemed to be a bargain. Ah, the good ole days...

Anyway, I wouldn't at all be afraid of owning a Kioti or a Mahindra. No slant against others, but those were the two 'second tier' tractors I seriously considered. I feel that both are well made, durable and reliable units.

/ What is the general opinion on Kioti? #34  
I think Kioti was in a "catch-22" situation. If they required a new dealer to actually stock a large inventory, have a few factory trained techs and stock more than minimal parts, they'd likely not have many takers to be dealers. Lowering their requirements to get a franchise got them pegged as "one of them roadside gravel lot yard barn type" of tractors. I know for a fact that they would have been better off not granting franchises to the now gone dealers in my area. .

I agree. Now apparently so does Kioti. They are forcing a lot of these little dealers out by insisting on rather large annual purchases of tractors to remain a dealer. Unfortunately in this downturn some very good (not so small and definitely not roadside) dealers have opted to leave as well. Still, I suspect that the percentage growth for Kioti has been pretty good over the last few years and now that Bobcat carries twin models (not the really big ones though) that gives Kioti owners an alternative source of parts and service expertise at least for non warranty work.

/ What is the general opinion on Kioti? #35  
I agree. Now apparently so does Kioti. They are forcing a lot of these little dealers out by insisting on rather large annual purchases of tractors to remain a dealer. Unfortunately in this downturn some very good (not so small and definitely not roadside) dealers have opted to leave as well. Still, I suspect that the percentage growth for Kioti has been pretty good over the last few years and now that Bobcat carries twin models (not the really big ones though) that gives Kioti owners an alternative source of parts and service expertise at least for non warranty work.

Oh yeah, Kioti will come out of the other side of this recession just fine. I just don't know how their current dealer network will look. I wish no 'mom and pop' operation ill will, but I understand that Kioti has to do what they have to do. I would say that it would be very rare for a company like them to not ever go through any growing pains. I don't know about them, but I didn't get one of those crystal balls when I was a kid. ;) I think they have to do that they think is best and then make whatever modifications and/or changes that may be required along the way. Either way, I think the company overall will come out just fine whenever this recession eases.

/ What is the general opinion on Kioti? #36  
Oh yeah, Kioti will come out of the other side of this recession just fine. I just don't know how their current dealer network will look.

When you only have about 250 dealers to begin with.. how many can you afford to loose?

/ What is the general opinion on Kioti? #37  
I had almost exclusively good echoes from Kioti....but 95% of it is from this board. They are a rare sight up here (Quebec), havent seen many ads for them , new or used.

CUT are not that common here, but the area is stuffed with huge ag dealerships..Agco, JD, NH, CASE...Kubota dealers are big too but geared to the under 60HP, they own that market but they seem to sell very few M's...the ones I see most around are the 50 series from the late '70s to mid '90s.

Kub has a huge distribution center in Drummondville, 25 miles from here, but like most bota dealers their big sellers are small to medium excavators....at least 2 or maybe 3 to one compared to tractors.

Kioti dealers are few and far between, much smaller outfits...the few I have seen advertised used seem to hold their value real well...so I wouldnt chance them used either...hey just my opinion, it may be something else entirely in your neck of the wood. :)

Last edited:
   / What is the general opinion on Kioti? #38  
Well, I'm clearly unqualified to answer that question. However, I do feel confident in saying that they do need to get rid of several of their existing dealers who aren't doing them any favors if you know what I mean.

/ What is the general opinion on Kioti? #39  
When you only have about 250 dealers to begin with.. how many can you afford to loose?
But if Kioti + white paint=Bobcat I think the essence of the machine may live in coverup.

The one dealer I've seen in Ashland, VA has a small shop.

But there seem to be more Bobcat dealers around.