John Deere 2305 vs 2320

/ John Deere 2305 vs 2320 #1  

usmcshepherd

Well I can't tell everyone how much I am enjoying the TBN forums. It has provided me with a significant amount of information that has been a great asset is narrowing my search on my first tractor. My previous thread (Green vs Orange) was very informative and helped me in determining the manufacturer and they type of tractor I will finally end up going with. I was intially considering a x540 garden tractor but after getting numerous responses to my other thread as well as reading numerous other threads from others on here I've modified my decision to a SCUT...either a JD 2305 or 2320. My situation remains the same as before, which is I have about an 1.5 acres to mow currently and am looking to ultimately end up on our farm in IL (160 acres, 5 acres to mow, 7-10 acres to bush hog). While the SCUTs will be a little over kill currently, I am looking more to the future and don't want to waste 7k on a tractor that I will outgrow within a couple of years.

So....the questions begin....2305 or 2320?? In looking at both tractors I am inclined to lean towards the 2320 so I can take advantage of a true cat 1 3 pt hitch and the drive over deck. Other then that...are there any additional advantages between the two? I watch some utube videos of both tractors in action and they both appear to be pretty nimble. I test drove a CC SC2400, and was amazed at the manuverbility of the little SCUT (I think its better then my little 42" craftsman that's on its last legs). While I haven't driven either the 2305 or 2320, I hope to this week. Anyway, other then mowing right now (I'm just getting the tractor and mower to start) I plan on using it for snow removal, bush hog, and general farm chows once I am on our family farm.

I look forward to everyones thoughts and recommendations.

USMCShepherd

/ John Deere 2305 vs 2320 #2  
7 to 10 acres to bush hog seals the deal in my mind, I wouldn't even consider the 2305 for that task...of course I would really prefer a dedicated mower, and then a 3 or 4 thousand 20 series if it was my property

/ John Deere 2305 vs 2320 #3  
USMCShepherd

I have had my 2320 now about 6 months and I love this thing. I have the loader and 62 inch drive over deck and I can say I use it almost everyday, or I should say I find reasons to use it everyday!!! When I was looking I looked at the 2305 as well but I wanted a little more ground clearance as well as the 2305 has a fan on the tranny vs a cooler on the radiator. I didn't want to take the chance and hit something and wreck the fan. I also liked the fact that the ROPS folds on the 2320 I don't know if they have done that on the 2305 yet or not. I always mow with the ROPS folded to get closer and under trees. I like the drive over deck as well, it is pretty easy to put on and take off.
I would say either way you decide test them out and see what meets your needs best and go for it!!!

/ John Deere 2305 vs 2320 #4  
Unless your family has other tractors on the farm you might want to look at larger machines then the 2320. Don't get me wrong I have a tractor that is the same size but different color and love it. But I only have 10 acres to take care of. So. from those two options the 2320 would win hands down. If this would be THE tractor on the farm I would reconsider that tho. You would end up frustrated and looking for a larger one pretty soon. Again! I advocate for not getting caught up in the horsepower race, but in your case it would be something to consider. Give us more details about the farm so we can give better pointers and drool a little.

/ John Deere 2305 vs 2320
The 2320 certainly interests me a little more for the reasons you all bring up. I don't think the 2305 has the folding ROPS and I like the idea of the drive over deck and higher clearance. While this will technically be the only tractor on the farm, that's not a big deal as we currently rent the land to another farmer who farms 3000 acres. So the majority of the 160 acres on our farm is either in corn or beans (of course I have a desire to return and posisbly farm the farm again but I have zero experience doing that...but perhaps I could learn right?) So the tractor I get will be used primarily for mowing and bush hog and tending to the garden we plan to put in once we move back (probably a 1/2 acre or so). My daughter would like horses so that might be part of the tractor's duties as well. One thing I have wrestled with is the idea of getting a nice lawn tractor (x540) now and when I move to the farm buying a 3520 cab tractor that will be capable of much more.

Also...here is a pic of our farm....

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 1,383
   / John Deere 2305 vs 2320 #6  
I like your last thought of a 540 and another bigger tractor later. I have a Cub lawn tractor for the 3 acres I mow and a JD3120 for the bigger chores. I have only 10 acres, but when you need the FEL or other implements, the 3120 is a real time and back saver. Nice looking farm. I'm sure yuou can't wait to get back to it. Good Luck!

/ John Deere 2305 vs 2320 #7  
DROOL....DROOOLLL...

Very nice farm you have there.
I would say from what you describe the 2320 could be just the ticket. It will do a lot more then it's size and horsepower might suggest. Since you lease most of the land to a farmer with large machines if something comes up that you need a large machine for you can always ask / hire the man to do the occasional job.

All of my neighbors have tractors and my machine is the smallest one around. The two times in the past two years when I couldn't get something done I asked the guys that had the proper equipment. They were happy to help as I was happy to help them with other projects.

Slate Mike and others...well the dealer got in a x540 for me to drive today and I really liked it. With the power steering, power lift and adjustable seat, my boys were able to drive comfortably and safely as was I. While this certainly isn't the tractor that a 2320 would be it would serve us fine for now until we got to the farm and then I could upgrade into something a little bigger then the 2320. For instance, they had a 3520 Cab tractor there that would certainly fit the bill for anything we would ever want to do short of full field work...so perhaps that is the optimal solution.

I forgot to add that I am not sold on this idea and certainly still open to other suggestions. I am going to be busy the next couple of days so I won't be able to pick up any tractor for at least a couple of days.

/ John Deere 2305 vs 2320 #10  
Based on the comments so far on this thread, I vote for the 2320. I'd much rather have an oil cooler for the transmission than a lawn tractor fan cooling system.

Based on your projected mowing and cutting needs, an X540 is not the rig for you.

I also think you are being smart for looking long term versus short term in your purchase decision.