Can a Compact Tractor do it?

/ Can a Compact Tractor do it? #1  

Snave

I am thinking of buying a compact tractor but am not sure they have enough power.

It would need to have a backhoe with enough power to dig into limestone rock.

A FEL that can grade and move bulk soil.

An auger that can dig into limestone rock.

What make model would you recommend to balance price and performance? Why?

/ Can a Compact Tractor do it? #2  
Based on your location in Abaco, I know you do have some tough conditions. We spend Feb every year in Treasure Cay, a great place.

If you plan to actually work on the base limestone get a larger TLB Kub L35 or L48 or JD 110 series that you can attach a hydralic hammer to the BH. These will run $32-50K range new pending options.

If you don't require a hammer attachment go with the B21 series TLB from Kubota. These are tough commercial units that don't break the bank to buy new ($25K), as well they last a long time with minimal repairs. If you can find a good one used great, but they are tough to find. Also pending the size truck/trailer you have, you might find the bigger units too much to haul.

So if you can buy new, I would advise that since parts and repair availabilty in your location may put you down for a few days.

good luck,

Carl

/ Can a Compact Tractor do it? #3  
Man you don't need a tractor, you need an Abrhams M1A1 tank, and a truck full of explosives!! I too would recommend a larger machine. A compact is not really designed to handle the kinds of loads you describe.Good luck!

/ Can a Compact Tractor do it? #4  
I think about the smallest machine that will do your work is a skid steer. Even then it'll be slow.

/ Can a Compact Tractor do it? #5  
What exactly is the limestone like on your island? The limestone around here - PA, USA - is really hard stuff. When I worked in a limestone quarry for a while when I was a kid. There was absolutely no posthole digger or backhoe made that would dent the stuff. Carbide or diamond-tipped tools were about the only thing that would. Right now my Brother-in-law is installing an underground drain from a rainspout at Mom's place, and there's a top of a limestone rock right where it shouldn't be. He needs to knock off a piece about the size and shape of a half of a basketball. Tomorrow he's bringing a large air compressor and jackhammer to do the job. I get to backfill /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.............chim

/ Can a Compact Tractor do it? #6  
My brother can show you how to deal with rocks. He is a powder man for a construction company. He packs em' and blows em' up. Makes lots of little rocks out of big rocks.

/ Can a Compact Tractor do it? #7  
Thanks for the offer, but the rock is between Mom's house and pool. Have an uneasy feeling about getting really aggressive in that location. Way back when, they'd let us (expendable?) young guys work with the blasting outfit when they shot rock at the quarry. Sometimes it got pretty impressive............chim

/ Can a Compact Tractor do it? #8  
Snave -

I'd have to agree with others that a compact tractor is probably too small for the job, though you might get by with one of the bigger units (JD 4600 or 4700, NH TC 40 or TC 45, etc) with the right attachments. I believe you'll need impact (like a jackhammer), not just digging force if the limestone is solid, rather than broken up chunks. A skidsteer may be the better way to go. We used one with a jackhammer attachment to tear up a lot of concrete floors where I used to work, then switch to a bucket to clear the broken up chunks out. Around here (VT) used skid steers are easier to come by than used Compact Tractors. Another alternative might be a mini-excavator.

BTW... I have a sister and brother-in-law who spend ~6 months/year in Hopetown (the other half is in New Hampshire). He's owned land there for 20+ years. Ever run into Jerry Whiteleather in your travels?

John Mc

/ Can a Compact Tractor do it?
Thanks for all the great feedback. Looks like a skid steer, although I really liked the idea of a tractor. Maybe later an L35 or L48.

Hawkflyer - How much doeas an Abrahams M1A1 run these days? Sounds like fun. How precise can you get with your tree holes? What range?

Slamfire - If I can't find the tank, the skid steer wins.

Chim - our limestone can't be as hard as your limestone. We can hand dig a tree hole in a few hours with a pick axe. A Cat back hoe an dig through it. V buckets work better than flat bottom buckets.

O Zarker - are you related to Hawkflyer. Powder sounds like a pretty spectacular way to move some rock. Better accuracy with your holes than the tank and almost as fun.

Thanks for your help.

Snave

/ Can a Compact Tractor do it? #10  
Hole placement is pretty accurate, but controling the size and depth is REALLY tricky. As for price I think you can pick one up used for about $2,000,000. Shipping is also a bit high. The strong point though is, if you take it on the road, traffic is never a problem.