What tractor are you using in your vineyard?

/ What tractor are you using in your vineyard? #1  

orgt

Bronze Member
I've been researching tracs for use in a growing vineyard (slated to go to 50+ acres) but manufacturers' info isn't that great, especiallly when it comes to petty little details such as the actual width of the machine. We're got 8 ft. rows so we're looking for something that's no wider than 60 inches (62 max, and even that's awfully tight when the vines start shooting out like a bunch of happy green fools in the Spring.) We have a fairly powerful sprayer so cab with AC will be a must. Reasonable PTO power will do, no need for huge stuff there.

Many of the small but strong tracs I've found seem to not have the cab option, but I could be wrong there. Anyhow, what are YOU running, fellow TBNetsters?

I'd love to hear specifics if at all possible (brand, model # with any options/mods, etc.) and of course what your experience with the tractor actually WORKING the vines has been like (as opposed to what many dealers tell us, if you get my meaning...) Thanks so much for any help!

/ What tractor are you using in your vineyard? #2  
Do you have a Deutz-Farr dealer around you take a look at the Agroplus S

/ What tractor are you using in your vineyard? #3  
I've been researching tracs for use in a growing vineyard (slated to go to 50+ acres) but manufacturers' info isn't that great, especiallly when it comes to petty little details such as the actual width of the machine. We're got 8 ft. rows so we're looking for something that's no wider than 60 inches (62 max, and even that's awfully tight when the vines start shooting out like a bunch of happy green fools in the Spring.) We have a fairly powerful sprayer so cab with AC will be a must. Reasonable PTO power will do, no need for huge stuff there.

Many of the small but strong tracs I've found seem to not have the cab option, but I could be wrong there. Anyhow, what are YOU running, fellow TBNetsters?

I'd love to hear specifics if at all possible (brand, model # with any options/mods, etc.) and of course what your experience with the tractor actually WORKING the vines has been like (as opposed to what many dealers tell us, if you get my meaning...) Thanks so much for any help!

My vineyard consists of 12 vines (CA Concord and Catawba) on two 30-ft long trellises, 10 ft apart. So I can't help you on vineyard tractors unless you consider my Bolens garden tractor as one of those.

My first tractor was a 2005 Kubota B7510HST that has a 48" track that would meet your requirement. However, as far as I know, there's no cab available for that 7510 so you'd have to get into your hazmat suit to spray the grapes.

However, I did a little research. Here're a few suggestions:

Fendt

YouTube - Fendt Vineyard Tractor

Deutz

YouTube - DEUTZ AGROPLUS 75 s ASOPIA-GREECE ( )

Some folks just spray and to heck with the biohazard

YouTube - Angad 240D in Spraying Operation

If I had the bucks, I'd go with this New Holland TNV-A

New 2005 New Holland TNV A Vineyard Tractors at Novlan Brothers

/ What tractor are you using in your vineyard? #4  
We sell a fair amount of vineyard tractors from our Abbottstown, PA store. Maybe worth the short trip from western MD.

New Holland TN-V or Kubota M-Narrow's (Power Krawler!) are great vineyard tractors. Both are higher HP machines. If your starting small, Kubota has a B2320 Narrow thats only like 45" wide thats made for tree farms and such. Its about 10k brand new.

Your rows are wider than what we see at most places, so you should have some good options.

/ What tractor are you using in your vineyard? #5  
Really, it comes down to size and your budget. I think the Kubota power crawler would work great for your application.

/ What tractor are you using in your vineyard?
Thanks all for the thoughtful responses so far.

The Krawler is out since we have quite a bit of road pavement (asphalt) to get to some of the vineyards. The Kubota B2320 Narrow is attractively priced but without a cab it won't work.

A friend tells me that the other machines mentioned like that attractive NH - and others that haven't like JD - probably start at 35-40K with cab and AC and may go twice as high. Right now that's all way above budget.

Now, it's great that most are 48 inches wide but since we can go as wide as 60-ish inches in our vineyards, is there something that's lower priced (under 30K, if possible way under) and that has a good warranty like maybe TYM, Kioti, Mahindra, etc. which we may have missed?

Last edited:
   / What tractor are you using in your vineyard? #8  
Thanks all for the thoughtful responses so far.

The Krawler is out since we have quite a bit of road pavement (asphalt) to get to some of the vineyards. The Kubota B2320 Narrow is attractively priced but without a cab it won't work.

A friend tells me that the other machines mentioned like that attractive NH - and others that haven't like JD - probably start at 35-40K with cab and AC and may go twice as high. Right now that's all way above budget.

Now, it's great that most are 48 inches wide but since we can go as wide as 60-ish inches in our vineyards, is there something that's lower priced (under 30K, if possible way under) and that has a good warranty like maybe TYM, Kioti, Mahindra, etc. which we may have missed?

Mahindra has nice, reasonably priced tractors in the 30-40hp range. For example, the 3316HST (33 hp engine, 25 hp pto) has 60" track width and MSRP $17335. You can get a cab for the 3316 from Cab Depot for $5000.

Sims Cab Depot

If you need the FEL for the 3316, cost is about $6200.

BTW: my go-to tractor is a 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto) with the ML250 FEL (6 ft bucket, 2950 lb lift).

Of course, there are less expensive Mahindra's with less expensive FELs and you can find cheaper cabs from Cab Depot. I'd say with a little shopping you could get something in the $25K range that would satisfy your requirements.

/ What tractor are you using in your vineyard? #9  
Well, we won't have the same family of grapes but I've just bought a new New Holland T2410 to primarily help me maintain aprox 10 acres of Muscadines. I didn't get the cab option but feel it wont be necessary since I dont have to spray my Muscadines like you will have to for your vinifera(assumption on my part for what your probably putting in). My main intention with buying it is to be able to have rear remotes, FEL, 4WD for running a vine cutter and mowing etc.

Has the industrial tires and should fit in my row spacing just fine. I have 10' on center aisles though. The 55 HP will be a nice step up for me.

Good luck on your decision.
Tom