Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    17
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA

    Default Buying 25 acres of woods....

    Ok I have been reading a lot of posts here and have learned a lot already. We are buying 25 acres of woods. Our plans include taking down some trees in a 4 acre area for the homesite, clearing the under brush, removing some of the not so nice trees and planting fruit bearing trees in their place.
    So the first step we want to do is get a walk behind brush mower so we can assess the overall layout of the property and find a place to make the home site that will work best for us and the land. We have been looking at several of the brush mowers and all of the ones that are 17+ horse power seem to have good reviews. I was wondering if anyone has or knows someone that has bought one of these from home depot, Brush Beast 36 In. 22 HP 653 CC Subaru V-Twin Engine. There are not any reviews on it yet nor can I figure out who "really" makes it. They say it is made by Brush Beast.....but I can not find anything on them....
    Anyway I was wondering what you guy's take on it was.
    Next thing will be the tractor!

  2. #2
    Super Member flusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    6,538
    Location
    Sacramento
    Tractor
    Sold the farm, sold the tractors, moved back to the city

    Default Re: Buying 25 acres of woods....

    Quote Originally Posted by msjwebb View Post
    Ok I have been reading a lot of posts here and have learned a lot already. We are buying 25 acres of woods. Our plans include taking down some trees in a 4 acre area for the homesite, clearing the under brush, removing some of the not so nice trees and planting fruit bearing trees in their place.
    So the first step we want to do is get a walk behind brush mower so we can assess the overall layout of the property and find a place to make the home site that will work best for us and the land. We have been looking at several of the brush mowers and all of the ones that are 17+ horse power seem to have good reviews. I was wondering if anyone has or knows someone that has bought one of these from home depot, Brush Beast 36 In. 22 HP 653 CC Subaru V-Twin Engine. There are not any reviews on it yet nor can I figure out who "really" makes it. They say it is made by Brush Beast.....but I can not find anything on them....
    Anyway I was wondering what you guy's take on it was.
    Next thing will be the tractor!
    That's a pretty pricey walk behind mower--$3149.
    If I were you, I'd rent, or hire someone with, a tractor and bush hog to clear enough of the property so you can make your siting decisions. You can get a lot of hogging done for $500.

  3. #3
    Platinum Member Big Bri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    915
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

    Default Re: Buying 25 acres of woods....

    my dad bought one of these and he loves it. i've used it a couple of times and everything they say it will do it will do and more. i was very impressed with how easy this thing would cut 4ft tall grass and brush. he has had his for 10 years now and uses it 3 or 4 times a year to cut a levee on his property.

    DR Power Equipment - Brush Mower / Brush Cutter 13HP - mow brush up to 6 feet high

    http://http://www.drpower.com/TwoSte...Page=fabmodels

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    17
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA

    Default Re: Buying 25 acres of woods....

    Quote Originally Posted by flusher View Post
    That's a pretty pricey walk behind mower--$3149.
    If I were you, I'd rent, or hire someone with, a tractor and bush hog to clear enough of the property so you can make your siting decisions. You can get a lot of hogging done for $500.
    The problem with that is then you have to pay someone to keep doing it and it is not done how you want it done. With owning 25 acres it will get a lot of use and we can also buy a finnishing blade for it later. It is not just a "walk behind mower" it is a bush hog without the tractor. We will be getting a tractor but a tractor will not be easy to get into the woods. We want to pick what trees we keep and the ones that go. 3k is not a bad investment when you think long term if it does what it says it does.

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    17
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA

    Default Re: Buying 25 acres of woods....

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bri View Post
    my dad bought one of these and he loves it. i've used it a couple of times and everything they say it will do it will do and more. i was very impressed with how easy this thing would cut 4ft tall grass and brush. he has had his for 10 years now and uses it 3 or 4 times a year to cut a levee on his property.

    DR Power Equipment - Brush Mower / Brush Cutter 13HP - mow brush up to 6 feet high

    http://http://www.drpower.com/TwoSte...Page=fabmodels

    I was looking at those too. But for less than the 17 HP, we can get the 22 HP with shipping. There are large areas of black berry bushes that must GO. They attract the deer but also the bears.

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    17
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA

    Default Re: Buying 25 acres of woods....

    Oh and they want 7-12k an acre around here to clear land and that is without getting the option of keeping the trees you want.

  7. #7
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    264
    Location
    ElDorado,AR
    Tractor
    Ford 4000 diesel

    Default Re: Buying 25 acres of woods....

    Boy that is high to get some land cleared. Where do you live?? I would think someone with a bulldozer could make you some trails thru the place so you can get an idea of what you have. Did you buy this land sight unseen???

  8. #8
    Super Star Member dave1949's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    10,897
    Location
    Industry, Maine
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40

    Default Re: Buying 25 acres of woods....

    Where is 'around here' if I may ask? Read a review a couple yesrs ago on walk behind brush cutters, they work but will give you a real workout in the process was the conclusion. Bottom line, if the reviewer could have had a tractor with bush hog, he would have been happier.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,924
    Location
    NH seacoast & Coos County
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45S

    Default Re: Buying 25 acres of woods....

    Quote Originally Posted by msjwebb View Post
    The problem with that is then you have to pay someone to keep doing it and it is not done how you want it done. With owning 25 acres it will get a lot of use and we can also buy a finnishing blade for it later. It is not just a "walk behind mower" it is a bush hog without the tractor. We will be getting a tractor but a tractor will not be easy to get into the woods. We want to pick what trees we keep and the ones that go. 3k is not a bad investment when you think long term if it does what it says it does.
    Unless you've got some leg time behind one of the mowers you might want to rent one first. 25 acres is a lot of walking behing a 3 or 4' mower. MikeD74T

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    17
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA

    Default Re: Buying 25 acres of woods....

    Quote Originally Posted by mattman View Post
    Boy that is high to get some land cleared. Where do you live?? I would think someone with a bulldozer could make you some trails thru the place so you can get an idea of what you have. Did you buy this land sight unseen???
    No we have walked the property. It is quite thick around the edges of the property but opens up in the middle where the larger trees have choked out the younger ones. There are also quite a few downed trees that would pose a hazzard to a tractor driving through. I live in Virginia. We called around and they charge quite a bit to remove the trees and the stumps. Raw land around here is also NOT CHEAP! We will be doing most of the work ourselves. Bulldozing the trees sounds good and all but it would also remove the topsoil and under that is sand and then clay. We would prefer to keep as many trees as we can. If we wanted to go out and clear cut it we would have bought farm land not a large wooded lot. I would hate to have someone come in an just bulldose some of these 50+ year old trees.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.