Questions on buying used tractors.

/ Questions on buying used tractors. #11  
I have bought so much used equipment that I have learned that you MUST get a great deal or walk away. The law of averages will eventually catch up with me and I'll have a $5,000 repair. Haven't had that happen yet, but plenty of 1-3K repairs have happened.

You need to make sure you're paying well below the machine's value so you have money left for repairs.

Most (not all) owners sell machines because there's something on them they don't want to fix that you might not realize until you owned it for months.

Just be careful and never overpay.

/ Questions on buying used tractors. #12  
I have bought so much used equipment that I have learned that you MUST get a great deal or walk away. The law of averages will eventually catch up with me and I'll have a $5,000 repair. Haven't had that happen yet, but plenty of 1-3K repairs have happened.

You need to make sure you're paying well below the machine's value so you have money left for repairs.

Most (not all) owners sell machines because there's something on them they don't want to fix that you might not realize until you owned it for months.

Just be careful and never overpay.

You're right. Unless you're a tractor restorer like myself, you don't want to buy a pre-owned tractor you expect to put to work and then find out that it needs major repairs.

Last Jan I bought a really good looking 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF tractor locally. Paid $1300 despite the fact that it wasn't running. Normally I wouldn't pay more than $700-900 for something like that, but the sheet metal is straight and that tractor is relatively rare (less than 5000 units made). It's completely disassembled now and is being cleaned in preparation for repainting.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...eapolis-moline-bf-restoration-continuing.html

Yesterday I picked up the engine, 27 hp 4-cyl Hercules IXB3SL, from the machine shop. Complete engine rebuild cost $1600 parts and labor. I figure I'll have about $4500 spent on the restoration by the time it's finished (hopefully early next year).

It's a hobby and I need a decent parade tractor for club meets in the Spring. Otherwise, it's hard to justify buying something like my BF.

/ Questions on buying used tractors. #13  
You're right. Unless you're a tractor restorer like myself, you don't want to buy a pre-owned tractor you expect to put to work and then find out that it needs major repairs.

Last Jan I bought a really good looking 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF tractor locally. Paid $1300 despite the fact that it wasn't running. Normally I wouldn't pay more than $700-900 for something like that, but the sheet metal is straight and that tractor is relatively rare (less than 5000 units made). It's completely disassembled now and is being cleaned in preparation for repainting.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...eapolis-moline-bf-restoration-continuing.html

Yesterday I picked up the engine, 27 hp 4-cyl Hercules IXB3SL, from the machine shop. Complete engine rebuild cost $1600 parts and labor. I figure I'll have about $4500 spent on the restoration by the time it's finished (hopefully early next year).

It's a hobby and I need a decent parade tractor for club meets in the Spring. Otherwise, it's hard to justify buying something like my BF.

I really want to restore an old IH 88 series I have my eye on, but I need to build my house and get my new shop built first. Man, what I'd give to be 10 years younger.......

/ Questions on buying used tractors. #14  
I really want to restore an old IH 88 series I have my eye on, but I need to build my house and get my new shop built first. Man, what I'd give to be 10 years younger.......

Roger that.

My job jar never seems to get any emptier. There's a 1951 Farmall Super A sitting outside my shop now that needs transmission work (won't shift into 1st gear), as well as regular servicing and a paint job. And the 1964 MF-135 diesel is in one of the shop bays needing a few oil leaks fixed. And my wish list has a JD 40, an Allis Chalmers C, and an Oliver 66 on it. And my neighbor gave me a Massey Ferguson 44 self-propelled windrower (draper head type) with a 4-cyl Continental engine that I want to restore.

Plus I still need to build two more 600 sq ft equipment sheds, a 20x36 ft carport and a Japanese tea house in the bonsai garden.

And my 68th birthday is coming fast.

/ Questions on buying used tractors. #15  
I love having a project or two unfinished.. just hard to keep it all in the air sometimes though!

soundguy