How to ship compact tractor from West coast to Hawaii?

/ How to ship compact tractor from West coast to Hawaii?
Update on some pricing here...

A whole 20ft container is about $4000.

The Tractor w/ loader will take up way less than 1/2 the cubic ft. space. It just doesn't seem right I can order a tractor from a mainland dealer and undercut my local dealers price by $1000. I don't want to have to get into the shipping business just to buy a tractor, but at these rates I could ship over 10 of them and get my tractor free.
Maybe my local dealer will find some more wiggle room on his price if these numbers are working out.
Our Hawaii 4% GE Tax isn't helping my dealer out either, most of the savings I would have left over would be do to the out of state sale.

/ How to ship compact tractor from West coast to Hawaii? #13  
Update on some pricing here...

A whole 20ft container is about $4000.

The Tractor w/ loader will take up way less than 1/2 the cubic ft. space. It just doesn't seem right I can order a tractor from a mainland dealer and undercut my local dealers price by $1000. I don't want to have to get into the shipping business just to buy a tractor, but at these rates I could ship over 10 of them and get my tractor free.
Maybe my local dealer will find some more wiggle room on his price if these numbers are working out.
Our Hawaii 4% GE Tax isn't helping my dealer out either, most of the savings I would have left over would be do to the out of state sale.

Have you thought about if you get this tractor shipped, and then you need work done on it because of a breakdown, or something under warranty...Then the dealer in Hawaii doesn't want to work on it.:confused:.... Just a thought... Some dealers are picky.

But I hope you get you one:D

/ How to ship compact tractor from West coast to Hawaii? #14  
Looking to get a NH T1510 from a west coast dealer over to Hilo, Hawaii. It's ridiculous that I have to look into it, but the same model is $3,000 less than our dealer on island. Any suggestions?

I'd pay the extra $3K and buy it locally in Hilo while establishing a good relation with the dealer and his service manager. Forget about shipping it in from the mainland. Your time and peace of mind is worth $3K and more.

I'd pay the extra $3K and buy it locally in Hilo while establishing a good relation with the dealer and his service manager. Forget about shipping it in from the mainland. Your time and peace of mind is worth $3K and more.

I know I'm opening up a can of worms by going down that road... but just on principle it don't seem right that I could ship it cheaper than they could. Hawaii has a long tradition of monopolies and price gauging.

If I can buy it at retail price from another dealer, arrange independent shipping for a single bulky object, and still save a grand, then I'd be getting taken for a ride by the local dealer. Unless it really is just poor management and they are messing up their shipping costs somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / How to ship compact tractor from West coast to Hawaii? #16  
I know I'm opening up a can of worms by going down that road... but just on principle it don't seem right that I could ship it cheaper than they could. Hawaii has a long tradition of monopolies and price gauging.

If I can buy it at retail price from another dealer, arrange independent shipping for a single bulky object, and still save a grand, then I'd be getting taken for a ride by the local dealer. Unless it really is just poor management and they are messing up their shipping costs somehow.

I thought that you said that most of what you actually would save was the sales tax?:confused: If that is the case then your dealer is actually the same price, he just costs more because of the tax laws. Face it, it costs more to do business in Hawaii.:( So with that in mind, how much more is your local dealer? Plus, that container will cost 4k. Are you going to get someone else to go in with you on that shipping? Yes the tractor will take less than half of the cubic feet available, but unless your shipping partner is shipping peanuts,:eek: I believe that you will be going to be paying for more than half of that container.

All things to ponder, good luck with your purchase. ;)

/ How to ship compact tractor from West coast to Hawaii? #17  
I also wonder if Hawaii is like many states that require you to pay a use tax,Use tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, on an item you were able to avoid sales tax on by buying out of state. Granted, many seem to avoid this tax but I'll bet there are pretty good records when you bring something in by container.

MarkV

/ How to ship compact tractor from West coast to Hawaii? #18  
Are you a member of the Hawaii Farm Bureau Federation? They do offer some discounts to local companies that might by chance include your equipment dealer. If not other members in this organization might offer some local insight to how they buy and service their equipment....which may include a more positive spin on your local dealer. See http://www.hfbf.org/ for more info. Aloha.

/ How to ship compact tractor from West coast to Hawaii? #19  
Face it, it costs more to do business in Hawaii.:( So with that in mind, how much more is your local dealer?

That is the perfect point to make. Everything that dealer does, has in stock, or will buy from NH has to be shipped in. His labor is local, but his real estate and building are surely very expensive in "paradise." I would think long and hard if $1000 was all I could save by going to the mainland for my purchase. My personal feeling is that it is a bad idea, the same as if someone on the west coast wanted to buy a tractor on the east coast and have it shipped to them. I think the best idea is to shop for the best tractor deal and dealer and buy locally in every situation. I think someone in Hawaii should consider themself lucky to have a local dealer. It that dealer goes bust and closes his doors, who will provide service? I want a good price, but not one that drives my dealer out of business.

The results are in :

Give the dealer whatever he wants : Unanimous

Save a Thousand Dollars and buy from another dealer : Maybe Me

Thanks for all your input folks. I guess maybe it just comes down to a grand not being much when your dealing with equipment like this.

Just a bit of a shocker to see a $3k difference when half that parts are floating right past me to get to the mainland.