Tractor Sizing 4 acres what size?

/ 4 acres what size? #1  

jacobsdaddy06

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF1240
Hello all new tractor buyer here and I have 4 acres and Im not just sure what size I need. Brushhogging, blading and a little dirt work is all I will be doing. Thanks

/ 4 acres what size? #2  
Welcome! You will get much better answers if you can tell us more about your needs and the property. Is it meadow, hills, woods? Brushogging only or finish mowing too. Snow? The more you tell us the better advice we can give.

/ 4 acres what size?
the property is slightly sloped with a pond at the end of the property and all im going to be doing is brushhogging and light dirt work and road maint. Thanks

/ 4 acres what size? #4  
Jacob's Daddy,

Specifics. Do you have $10K to spend? $20K to spend? Lots of good choices at those price points for subcompacts and compacts.

Sometimes when a guy finally gets his property, he isn't "flush", if you know what I mean. Sometimes, a guy has to start with a used, but solid older tractor for around $3500. Adding rear blades, rakes, etc,? Allow another $1000 with sharp shopping the Craigslist, yard sales, farm sales, etc.

Snow? You didn't say yes. Should we assume no snow to mess with?

/ 4 acres what size? #5  
And as always - location, location, location.
Can you transport a tractor?
Do you need it delivered?
Can you wrench it?
How important is a dealer relationship?
We are a picky bunch here and like to know more to better adapt our advice.

/ 4 acres what size?
ok guys sorry , no snow, looking at financing part of the purchase would like to get tractor.w loader, blade brushhog and trailer all at one time, no problems pulling it, want to be able to take in for service if need be, prefer not a belly style setup, thanks

/ 4 acres what size? #8  
Hello all new tractor buyer here and I have 4 acres and Im not just sure what size I need. Brushhogging, blading and a little dirt work is all I will be doing. Thanks

I did the chores you mention on my 10 acres (flat pasture) with my first tractor--a new 2005 Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto, 4WD, power steering, hydrostatic tranny) with LA302 FEL (4-ft wide bucket, 800 lb lift capacity). Cost: $12,600 plus tax. I mowed with a 4-ft King Kutter rotary mower (aka bush hog, brush hog, slasher, shredder, $600), graded with a 4-ft wide KK box blade ($300) and tilled my garden with a used Yanmar RS1200 rototiller (4-ft wide, $300).

I'd probably still have that little gem except I decided to put 6 acres into hay and traded the Bota for a 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto)

/ 4 acres what size? #9  
I run 5.8acres here & a 3000 series jd, the 3032e is about all the weight my lawn will take after May 1st till winter. 2100lbs, My ZTR mower is over 1500lbs with gas. It will rut also if I don't wait till May. Your soil/ground conditions are important for tractor use, is it all lawn & do you have obsticals other than pond..? I would think 3000 series would be way enough or equivalent Kubota. The sub compacts might even be the way to go, but you might be stuck with 4' mower,maybe I do not know for sure,..If you have a decent lawn , turfs might be the way to go,..R4's will tear sh.. up also if not carefull, I don't mind tearing grass up ...but ruts can be a nightmare. as in easy to make & much,much harder & expensive to take care of. Light & small might be what your looking for. 3000 series & down or equivalent.
Joe

/ 4 acres what size? #10  
JANDG is right on the money. I have a JD 3120 with R4 tires that I used to cut 3 acres at my former home. The same tractor on my current property tears the heck out of the lawn if it isn't bone dry. If no "lawn" to worry about then get the best bang for your buck whether new or used. Remembering that some day you'll need (want) more power than you have.