moving from NJ to MD and .25 acres to 2.5

/ moving from NJ to MD and .25 acres to 2.5 #1  

mroe21877

Tractor
bx1860
Hey everyone,

I found this forum searching for information on available ride on mowers which then turned into searching for tractors which has now turned into trying to figure out what I need for the new house. I have been relocated from NJ to MD. New place has 2.5 acres and I am guessing 2 is grass to mow - slightly sloping and only about 7 large trees to deal with. However there is also a long driveway - say 100 feet plus a large paved area between the house, second garage and pole barn. My initial thought was that I have more to mow - I am now realizing that snow will be an issue (drive is sloping to the street). Also we will probably be doing some landscaping, putting in a garden etc. Nothing on the scale of a farm but I do expect to have to haul many cubic yards of mulch, stone etc. I originally started to spec a deere mower and realized that for the cost of a high end rider I was almost in the range of a sub compact tractor say a 2305. SO - i am now lost. Do the activities above warrant a subcompact or can i just get a regular rider? I dont want to have to buy something in a few years again because I bought below my needs and I certainly do not want to drive something into the ground because I use it above its capabililties. I dont mind spending for what I need especially if it means it will give me many years of service. Right now my thoughts are the JD 2305 or the lower end NH boomers - 1025 i think. Im thinking that as far as implements i am looking at a mower deck at least and either a FEL or snow blower - prob get more use out of the FEL. For the snow we get I wouldnt mind using a FEL - it doesnt snow daily but occaisonally it snows a lot so I dont see getting a dedicated snow attachment - much rather have something that can double duty.

Or maybe im wrong and a regular Home Depot special can get me by.

thanks in advance!!
Mike

/ moving from NJ to MD and .25 acres to 2.5 #2  
Hi Mike. I'm in MD and also on 2.5 acres. If you haven't read them already, there's all kinds of discussions comparing the pros and cons of GTs v. SubCUTS v. CUTS. Each has its place and advantages/disadvantages. The SubCUT is probably the most versatile. Though they are not the very best mower nor the very best loader, but a very capable compromise.

The snow acculation varies greatly depending on location in the state. The further north and west, the more snow. East and South of Columbia really doesn't get all that much snow. But there is the occasional noreaster that comes blowing in a little snow.

If you need/want a loader, I think the GT's are too light to be effective. However, for mowing, towing a garden cart, plowing or blowing snow a top-end GT is just as good and maybe better, if you are working in tight spaces or have a lot to cut around.

Sixteen years ago, when I was in your situation SubCUTS were rare or untested (Kubota was a "second tier" mfr back then). I too had a hard time deciding. Looked at just about everything. What it came down to for me was that 70% of its use was for mowing, about 20% snow, and the rest towing tasks. So, I made my decision on what was the best mower that could still plow snow effectively. But, mowing was the primary evaluation parameter. I ended up buying a JD425 all-wheel steer. I mow about 2 acres of grass in about 90 minutes, and that includes a whole bunch of things to mow around. It plows snow like a dream too. With the AWS, I virtually have no trimming to do. So, my GT is awesome for what it was purchased to do.

However, it is not a SubCUT, much less a CUT, and isn't very effective at the heavy duty stuff like digging and lifting. I'd always had bigger, more ambitious projects planned than the GT could ever do. So, recently I bought a separate machine for the heavy work. And this time, I made sure I had a machine that was up to the tasks: a real CUT. For the tasks I have been doing and plan to do, even a SubCUT is too small.

Your situation may be different where a SubCUT might be a perfect fit. Also, there is a great deal of difference in the performance of different GT's. A GT comparable to my 425 today is most closely matched to the X700 series. That machine is not cheap, and yes you probably can get a SubCut, or even a small CUT for similar money. But, remember that most GTs just don't have the weight and frame to take on bigger jobs, including snow removal. Only the high-end machines will be effective at all in this area.

One thing to consider is to buy used, like a JD400 series or similar Kubota, Ford, simplicity, or gravely for your general yard chores. You can pick up an awesome machine for $3K - $4K that is just as good as a new $10K GT. Then plan and save for a second machine to handle the heavier work.

If a SubCUT fits you best, make sure you check out what all mfrs. Kubota, Kioti, New Holland, Massey, Mahindra, and others all have very nice machines.

Good luck. It's not an easy decision. And welcome to Maryland!

/ moving from NJ to MD and .25 acres to 2.5 #3  
Gittyup has given you a nice run down of the issues so I will just state my advice: subCUT with MMM! JD, Kubota, NH and Mahindra make nice ones. I'd personally peruse craigslist to find a low hour used one and then just reassure myself that it had had proper fluid changes. It is pretty hard to damage a subCUT so it is not like buying a big old Ag tractor that has potentially been beaten to death. If you are interested in landscaping you might consider a Kubota BX23 or 24 which are fairly popular and therefore on craigslist quite often. A good low hour (less than 250hrs) BX23 would cost about $12K-13K and you could get almost all your money back with little problem in a few years. A new subCUT without the backhoe would cost about the same but you'd lose 20-30% if you sold it in a few years.

/ moving from NJ to MD and .25 acres to 2.5 #4  
Hey Mike

Welcome. We were in your situation, almost precisely, 4 months ago, when we took possession of our 2 acres here in Beaver Creek, "up north", Michigan.

We too face a long drive and snow here isn't a possibility, it is reality. I knew I wanted to garden on a grand scale, and I tilled up a small one quickly, as spring was slipping away, and have now tilled up 1/3 acre plot for next spring. But I get ahead of myself. We arrived with a nice, 4 year old lawn tractor, but I knew I need serious machine for the gardening plans and especially for the snow plowing, come winter. Plowing was not an option.

I studied the X series from Green and G garden Orange tractors and a few other "colors". I priced them cat 0/1 3pt hitches because I knew implements were in the future. I priced them with hydraulic (if available) snow plows, because the manual ones are not great when you want to finish up and get back into the house and warm up.

In the end, the garden tractors just weren't going to realistically perform. I needed a true tractor of the sub Compact level. A full Compact Utility was simply overkill and would only have been a macho thing, frankly.

The decked out Garden Tractors, of the top 4 or 5 manufactures are NOT cheap. I was pushing $9000 and then some in a few cases. The first rung of sub-CUT was right there in price. In the end, that is what I purchased. $8900. for a Kubota BX1860, with a diesel. You gotta know that no gas GT is ever going to match that, and the rarer diesel GT's will not save you money, in my experience.

The sub-CUTs have the power, and especially, the traction to accomplish heavier tasks. These past weeks with the BX have been wonderful and we have done things, and will be doing tasks, that a GT could not really do.

That's our story. You too will find your way through this. Take your time. Work with a good dealer with a solid local rep, and you will do just fine.

Take Care

/ moving from NJ to MD and .25 acres to 2.5
this is some great info! I think im leaning towards a SUBCUT. Im sure ill have more questions as I keep researching.

Thanks!

/ moving from NJ to MD and .25 acres to 2.5 #6  
The JD 2305 or a kubota BX would be ideal for you. Get the FEL for sure. It's the one thing given what you want to do that will save your back and a ton of time. You will never regret it. Small diesel tractors burn less fuel, retain their value, and are tons more fun than a garden tractor. My neighbor has a smaller old kubota that is from the 80's and still runs fine. I couldn't be without my tractor now and even the wife (tractor skeptic) is a believer.