When did 2 stage clutches......

/ When did 2 stage clutches...... #1  

WilliamBos

Tractor
MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle
Hi All,

When did 2 stage clutches make their appearance on tractors, and who was the first? I thought maybe the early 1950's, but wanted the check on here.

/ When did 2 stage clutches...... #4  
Cockshutt Model 30, in 1945.

Not true. The Cockshutt 30 WAS arguably the first tractor with INDEPENDENT PTO. But it does not have a two stage clutch. There is a live shaft running to the rear of the tractor which powers a separate, hand operated PTO clutch. Similar setup to an Oliver which debuted the same feature at about the same time. The Cockshutt 30 was Nebraska tested in 1947.

First double clutch could have been in 1955; the Ford 660/860. Or possibly the Ferguson Deluxe 35, whenever that came out. Probably we need to look to European tractors of the early fifties for the real answer.

/ When did 2 stage clutches...... #5  
I'm pretty sure our Golden Jubilee ('53 NAA) had a two stage.

/ When did 2 stage clutches...... #7  
Not true. The Cockshutt 30 WAS arguably the first tractor with INDEPENDENT PTO. But it does not have a two stage clutch. There is a live shaft running to the rear of the tractor which powers a separate, hand operated PTO clutch. Similar setup to an Oliver which debuted the same feature at about the same time. The Cockshutt 30 was Nebraska tested in 1947.

First double clutch could have been in 1955; the Ford 660/860. Or possibly the Ferguson Deluxe 35, whenever that came out. Probably we need to look to European tractors of the early fifties for the real answer.

Cockshutt 30 was Nebraska tested in 47, but was first sold in '45. (Not sold in USA until '47)

You're right about the 30 though, it's listed in several books, including "FArm Tractors, 1950-1975" authored by Lester Larson, Chief Engineer in charge of Nebraska TEst Labs back in the day, as "First tractor tested with INDEPENDENT PTO".

Deere Inc offered ind pto in 1952, on the 50, 60, and 70.

Larson also settled this question in the same book. The 1955 Ferguson TO35 gasoline was the very first tractor with a 2-stage clutch. I shoulda known ol' Harry had the jump on everyone else!!!! The first Fords with 2-stage clutch were almost a year after the Fergies.

/ When did 2 stage clutches...... #9  
I'm pretty sure our Golden Jubilee ('53 NAA) had a two stage.

Negative on that.. as the others said.

there was an upgrade available.. a pinion clutch could be added and gave you a 'workable' setup that let you clutch the driveline with the 'hand clutch' while leaving the pto going.. to shift gear or engage pto, you still had to press the foot clutch.

hyd version that ran of fthe nose of the tach drive was available for the naa, and a manual version for the N series.

660 was the first ford with a true 2 stage clutch.

soundguy

/ When did 2 stage clutches...... #10  
We owned a 1951 Allis Chalmbers CA which had a hand clutch which gave it a Live PTO but it didn't have a 2 stage clutch. Actually I don't like a 2 stage clutch I prefer the hand clutch like the WD-45 and John Deere A had.

Don