Mulch deck or mulch kit?

/ Mulch deck or mulch kit? #1  

tbone2004

Hey all - new here...have decided on getting the JD x300, but I am not sure which 42" deck to get with it. I currently mulch every mow with my Toro self propelled. What is the experience out there of the Edge Xtra vs the Mulching deck? Do I go with the Edge xtra and add the mulch kit - or is the better cut achieved with the full time Mulch deck? I will never bag, so I am really just looking for the best cutting mulch deck or deck with mulch kit. Please any experience is really appreciated. Thank you.

/ Mulch deck or mulch kit? #2  
tbone, I faced the same question last spring when I bought my x300, 42 inch. Before getting the 300 I had bagged for years. Never mulched. After reading in various places about bagging versus non-bagging I decided to try no mulching and no bagging. I cut a little over 1/2 acre of centipede lawn. So far it has worked well. For the long term effect on the lawn for not bagging nor mulching I can't say yet.
What is necessary is to cut frequently enough that the clippings don't pile and aren't visible to be unsightly. Also, sharp blades are a necessity. I've not had to change nor sharpen mine this year, but they are now showing need. My x300 is far superior to the cheaper mowers I've had in past years.
I'd say try it without mulching. If it doesn't work for you, add the mulch kit, or search MachineFinder for a mulch deck.

/ Mulch deck or mulch kit? #3  
I've been mowing 5 acres for ten years without either bagging or mulching, and it seems fine. Be warned, however, that my view of a lawn is anything that is green. I do not fertilize, water, or otherwise treat lawn grass. However, it does look pretty decent (at least from a distance).