Help on choosing tractor

/ Help on choosing tractor #1  

MKMM

I am considering the purchase of a Cub Cadet 8404 with FEL and BH but cannot find any information on Cadet tractors. Does any one have one of these or know about the reliability and availability of parts? I will be using it on a 120 ac weekend place to stack round bales, cutting, road maintenance ect. I was looking at other equipment but this tractor was about 6k to 9k less and had a BH.

I am also considering the following used tractors all 4wd, FEL but no BH ( 2007 Branson 4720, 2004 Case IH JX65, Kubota M6800, Deere 5210 and a 2007 Mahindra 7520 ). Is there much difference between these tractors other than the obvious HP, Weight, Lift capacity?

The 2007 Mahindra 7520 with 100hrs was at the top of my list because it comes with all the implements I need right now but I have a couple of concerns. One I keep about 3 to 4 ac cut for the kids and wondered if this might be too big for cutting i.e.. tearing up the field turning, burning a lot of fuel just cutting. I also read several posts that stated that Mahindra uses old technology for the trans, dry clutch,ergonomics ect. I may want to cut and bale hay down the road and with this tractor I will not need to upgrade later but its 9k more than the Cadet. However if the Cadet is not reliable or parts are hard to get then its not a good deal.

I also wanted to know what is the smallest HP tractor that can lift 4 x 5 round bales with the FEL,I know different FEL's have diff capacity on the same size tractor but wanted to know if there is a general rule of thumb.I have read a lot of posts on this forum and it has been very helpful in my year long on again off again search but I am going to purchase in the next few weeks and wanted to get some opinions on my situation.Thanks

Mike

/ Help on choosing tractor #2  
Generally Cub Kadet these days is limited to lawn tractors. I did find some specs on the unit you mentioned and it's 40 hp. Some of the others you mention are in the 60 hp class. You are comparing apples and oranges, IMO.

No, a 40 hp tractor is probably not enough for making hay, at least according to what I've been told, especially with a round baler. But it would be good for the hay rake or a sickle bar mower.

Before considering a "do everything" machine with a backhoe, make sure you understand fully everything that is involved in taking it off, putting it on. Some equipment is easy, others may take hours to put on. For example, putting the loader on my old Kubota M4700 sounded simple in theory. But one detail, you have to take off the 200# weight bumper. Not easy to do (I ususally used another loader to lift it!). It was a 2+ hour conversion.

I think every farmer I know that makes hay has several tractors.

Mowing a few acres should go okay IF the ground is dry and you have turf tires. Soft ground and ag tires don't go well with lawn areas.

Ken

/ Help on choosing tractor
The seller is showing it as a 55 HP.I am not cutting / baling our own hay right now but I am looking down the road.Thanks for the input

/ Help on choosing tractor #4  
   / Help on choosing tractor
Thanks, I will check with them tomorrow.I not quite as interested if it's 40hp.Where did you find the info? I looked and looked for info and nothing came up.

/ Help on choosing tractor #6  
Thanks, I will check with them tomorrow.I not quite as interested if it's 40hp.Where did you find the info? I looked and looked for info and nothing came up.

I just did a google search for "cub cadet 8404". The like I posted above was near the bottom of the first google page.

Also note, there is a Cub Kadet subforum on the board here.

Ken

/ Help on choosing tractor #7  
*Generally Cub Cadet these days is limited to lawn tractors.

I did find some specs on the unit you mentioned and it's 40 hp. Some of the others you mention are in the 60 hp class. You are comparing apples and oranges, IMO.

Ken

1*CC also Builds one of the biggest bang for the buck Garden tractors in their 2500 and 3000 series.

Their Compacts are not very popular.
I don't know of any body that has one in my area.

I would pass on the tractor you are asking about.

/ Help on choosing tractor #8  
You guys are killing me.
Cub Cadet makes compacts up to 45 HP. Not just lawn tractors. They might not be as popular as JD or Bota, but just as good IMHO. I have 3 Cub Compacts that I've owned for the last several years and never had a problem with them. I've owned Cub Lawn and Garden tractors for the past 15 years and never had a problem with them.
Cub definitely had some issues with some of their product lines, some machines they made good on, others they didn't. And jumping around with different manufacturers hasn't helped them either. The ding in their reputation will probably never go away.
Sure I'm biased...but at least I've tried Bota and JD. Good machines, but I like my 3 Cubs more!
And LBrown, you probably just didn't hear me running my Cubs around a few miles from you. Just remember I'm down the street if you need some help!
Back to the OP's question, the 8404 is a 41 HP daedong engine. Sounds to me like he needs more HP. for his application.

/ Help on choosing tractor #9  
The Mahindra 7520 is a must see, because it is very ergonomicly comfortable, and exceptionally capable for haying (Mowing, baling, and handling round bales).