Kubota RTV 500/610 mule Opinions

/ Kubota RTV 500/610 mule Opinions #1  

SDS

I am getting either a Kubota RTV 500 or Kawasaki Mule 610. Looking for anyone who has either machine and opinions on them. Is the Kubota worth an extra 1,500.00 over the Mule 610.
Thanks

/ Kubota RTV 500/610 mule Opinions #2  
The Kubota is worth way more than $1500 more than the Mule in my opinion. I'd pay $2500 more....

The Kubota has a Hydrostatic type transmission. The Mule is a CVT belt. The Kubota has Fuel Injection. The Mule has a Carb.
The Kubota has Disc Brakes. The Mule has Drum Brakes.
The Kubota is liquid cooled. The Mule is air cooled.
The Kubota is twin cylinder 456cc. The mule is single cylinder 401cc.
The Kubota has semi-independent rear suspension. The mule has a solid swingarm.

Kubota builds products that are way above average and are made to last forever. The Mule will be good for 10 years....

Click this link then click competitive comparison.
Kubota Tractor Corporation | Utilty Vehicle RTV500

/ Kubota RTV 500/610 mule Opinions
Thanks for the info. Are you happy with the performance of the Kubota RTV 500, any issues with it. How is the power of the machine as far as hill climbing ect.
Thanks

/ Kubota RTV 500/610 mule Opinions #4  
I do not have the Kubota or Mule. I have a Yamaha Rhino and I ride with many friends that have Polaris Ranger's and Rzr's. We ride for fun in WV.

For Farm use the Kubota is the best option. No CVT belt to wear and the smooth twin cylinder. The Mule was fine 10+ years ago but there are better options today.

/ Kubota RTV 500/610 mule Opinions #5  
Thanks for the info. Are you happy with the performance of the Kubota RTV 500, any issues with it. How is the power of the machine as far as hill climbing ect.
Thanks

It'll climb hills fine, but it's no speedster. If you're using it for work, it's powerful enough. Recreational use is another thing. It does need more horsepower, but it pretty much does what it's designed to do.

Never drove a Mule, I looked at them and wasn't really impressed with the design. The RTV is built like a tank. From what I've seen, the CVT in the other UTV's is a little quicker and forgiving. The HST in the Kubota takes some getting used to because it's counterintuitive. If you test one, you'll see what I mean.

It does have great engine braking, rarely need to use the brakes. Plows snow well too... If you get the plow, see if they have a lighter duty than what was out there last year, it's way too heavy.

/ Kubota RTV 500/610 mule Opinions #6  
My wife and I test rode a 450 Rhino and a Mule 610 (belonging to friends) on our land and within the 1st 5 minutes on the Mule my wife was shaking her head no. The ride was rough, no engine braking for going down hills, and we got hung up on some minor ruts. Some of the trails we have are pretty bad but the simple ones posed a challenge to the Mule. Maybe in due time we would gain more confidence in the Mule but the Rhino just reeked capability from the get go. I would hate to load the bed of a Mule and try to descend some simple hills wet on our place even when dry I would be concerned. If your sticking to level ground smooth or gravel roads and paths it痴 a great machine. I have yet to ride a RTV500 but if the tranny is anything like their tractors the down hill braking will be perfect. Not sure how they ride in the rough but have read they are OK at best. Not trying to steer you to a Rhino but you owe it to yourself to take one for a test ride.

/ Kubota RTV 500/610 mule Opinions #7  
I think it depends alot on how you plan on using your machine and your financial situation. We have bought 3 Kubota tractors so far and we couldn't be happier with their function, quality, features, etc...
That being said: we have had a Mule 610 for 5 years now of heavy use. I have overloaded it with heavy logs for firewood hundreds of times, bringing up wood to the house through our hilly woods. Never a single problem with it. Very, very reliable. When we bought it we paid $6,500 plus tax. For the money I don't think you can touch it. It is not a speed demon or my pick to go mud bogging in.
Now if money isn't an issue, sure I'd spring for the Kubota with all of it's features and quality reputation.

/ Kubota RTV 500/610 mule Opinions #8  
I think Gene summed it up nicely. I have been wrestling with the thoughts of getting a UTV for a while now. No doubt the RTV 500 is a nice machine, but it is priced a difficult point. If I was going to spend $8500, I think I would be tempted to come up with some more money and buy a RTV 900. For the money, I think the little Kawasaki is a decent choice.
Will

/ Kubota RTV 500/610 mule Opinions #9  
We test drove both the 610 Mule and the RTV 500 before deciding on the RTV. Couple of things that my wife like on the RTV is that it is quieter and much easier to start, just turn the key, no need to mess with a choke or to let it warm up. She also liked the fact that when you take your foot off the gas peddle, the RTV stops where as the Mule will coast and you need to use the brakes. She thought that would be safer for her and the grand kids. However, there is a lot more after market for the Mule if you want to customize you vehicle. We did get a Seizmik windshield, soft top with back window and mirror for our RTV. The RTV did cost more, but the 0% financing helped and when the wife makes up her mind, there is not much choice.

/ Kubota RTV 500/610 mule Opinions #10  
When we looked 18 months ago, it was before the RTV500 was on the market. But the Mule just felt very light duty compared to the Kubota RTV900 and there was only about $1000 difference in price. We went with the RTV900 and couldn't be happier.

As has been said, you rarely need to touch the brake peddle on an RTV and we live in some steep hills.

I also prefer the diesel engine, less issues with gasoline.

Ken