Default Replacing a Clutch on a MONTANA 3840

I got a quote on replacing my clutch today for $1200, does this sound right to anyone?

Veteran Member

Default Re: Replacing a Clutch on a MONTANA 3840

Sounds like a good price to me, because I am assuming that the tractor has to be split. My guess would be you're probably a couple hundred dollars in parts and the rest is labor.

As long as it is a reputable shop, I'd say it's money well spent (so long as that is what needs to be fixed with the tractor).

Good luck and take care.

Tractor
    MF 5435, MF 165

Sounds real good. They must be using a reman pressure plate? Make sure the flywheel is good or resurfaced.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L275DT; Ford 8N

That's the price I got to replace it in my kubota; $700 for the clutch and up to 10 hours labor.

Tractor
    2008 Mahindra 5525, 1964 MF-135 diesel, 1951 Farmall Super A, 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF, 1945 Oliver 60 Row Crop, 1949 JD B widefront

Quote Originally Posted by FIREFIGHTER6CO6 View Post
    I got a quote on replacing my clutch today for $1200, does this sound right to anyone?
    UPS just delivered a rebuilt clutch (pressure plate, disc, throwout bearing) today for my 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF tractor that I'm restoring. Cost: $270. There's a $30 core refund on the pressure plate and disc if you send the old parts back to the supplier. This is a simple Rockford RM single disc clutch for a tractor with a 27 hp gas engine.

I assume that your 3840 has to be split to do the clutch job and my guess is that the clutch pack is more expensive than the one I just got.

So considering the labor involved, $1200 doesn't sound bad.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Price is not bad. I assume you have a dual stage clutch. No sure if you want to tackle it or not but this can be a do it yourself project if you have a buddy to help and a free weekend.

Chris