another question---4WD or hp?

/ another question---4WD or hp? #11  
I vote for 4wd. My 1400 # tractor with 18.5 hp has the pulling power of the old JD M with twice the weight but about the same hp. More hp would just generate more spin capability. Don't need that.

Ralph

/ another question---4WD or hp? #12  
Like most have said, it depends on the application. I don't remember seeing what you said your application was going to be. If that information was available, maybe we could give you a more definitive answer. My answer for my uses would be more HP. :D

/ another question---4WD or hp? #13  
Maybe someone already mentioned it, if so, I second the motion. Without knowing what you plan to use it for, I would go with the largest HP tractor I could afford that has 4 WD. It is just like a 4 WD truck. IF you need it it is there. IF you dont need it, disengage it and run 2 WD for less wear and tear and sharper turn radius.

/ another question---4WD or hp? #14  
If you are just mowing or something similar 2 Wheel Drive is fine but when it comes to pulling in the mud and muck 4 wheel drive is the only way to go. Just like in a pick-up truck.

Just a example but my 28HP 4 wheel drive tractor will out work my 45 HP 2 wheel drive tractor on everything I do but Bush Hogging.

Chris

/ another question---4WD or hp? #15  
If you are just mowing or something similar 2 Wheel Drive is fine

It all depends. A few times while mowing the yard with our B2710 (1800#, MMM), it was accidently in 2WD and I lost control going downhill (no braking). I was stopped by the fence (busted one post, popped the staples out of another.)

4wd gives you 4 wheel braking. OTOH, I never had problems with the a heavier 2WD with a rear mount cutter and ag tires.

Going down a steep hill shifts weight forward, off the rear (braking) wheels.

Ken

/ another question---4WD or hp? #16  
Reading these posts .. seems like some people are not ballasting 2wd tractors with loaders correctly.. then complaining about it.. :(

soundguy

/ another question---4WD or hp? #17  
Right on Sound guy. I cant imagine going down a hilll that is so steep that the brakes would not stop unless maybe you were on wet grass or something. I have a pond dam that is at least a 45 degree angle that I back up with my bush hog to mow it and even on that slope, my brakes will hold me. I am not sure that even in 4wd that the engine would hold the tractor back if you were in such a steep slope as to skid the rear tires all the way to the bottom. Going down a VERY steep hill with a loaded FEL and 2 wd might be a little scary regardless of whether you are going in forward or reverse. I think that if I were skidding down a hill and I had a FEL on front, I would drop the load and let the FEL do the stopping

/ another question---4WD or hp? #18  
Ditto that.. fel on a tractor is an awesome front emergency brake.

soundguy

/ another question---4WD or hp? #19  
Yeah, it is too bad this guy wont tell us what he intends to do with the tractor. Obviously no one can answer the question without that info although I see many have tried. Personnally, I run (3) 2wd's and (1) 4wd. The 4wd is my largest tractor, and the only one with a loader. I use the 2wd's any time I can without loosing much efficiency, but the 4wd ends up with about 3/4 of the work. I am suprised nobody mentioned the fuel savings 4wd gives you when operating on soft or tilled ground. Pushing that "dead" front axle is not free, and sucks up a lot of energy, which must be paid for, in terms of more fuel burned. For discing or loader work, I would say plan on burning 25% more to do the same work with 2wd. Now obviously if you are working on a hard hayfield, pasture, or such then that does not come into play (This is where SG comes in). 4wd will cost you a good chunk more up front, but check the sell prices of used tractors and you see that you will get it back and then some when it is time to sell. Since the big explosion in fuel prices a couple years ago, 2wd's in the 20-100 hp range are selling for pennies on the dollar compared to 4wd's. Used 4wd's are tough to find cheap even in today's pitifull economy. They almost had to give away the 2wds at a couple consignment auctions I heard about this spring.